Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What now for the EU ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issues are deeper than just pulling out of previous agreements. There are basic principles involved and some respect should be given to the reasoning behind them. After all, the seas belong to the world and should be governed accordingly.
In that case can I assume you agree that the Royal Navy should then be allowed to patrol French waters to scoop up economic migrants in rubber dinghies and return them to Calais to be processed (again)?

The issues are deeper than just pulling out of previous agreements. There are basic principles involved and some respect should be given to the reasoning behind them. After all, the seas belong to the world and should be governed accordingly.
The seas around the United Kingdom belong to the United Kingdom. If you can't see that....

I used t

I once worked at a British firm that packaged fresh flowers for various UK supermarkets, all grown hydroponically on their own farms in Kenya, and flown in daily, with zero EU involvement.
That same British company ran tea plantations in assorted Asian counties, beef farming in South America, cold storage in the US and Australia, trucking fleets, a small fleet of cargo planes, all without EU involvement.
In a nation of gardeners, the horticulture industry is, worth £5bn a year, the consumer will pay for Brexit. Typically “Most likely we will see a 10% increase in costs.” Just what we need...right?

I read this, and the other political threads, with a view of trying to understand reasoned argument on both sides, to learn what the issues are from each view point, with the intention of forming a balanced, informed, opinion of my own.

What I have learnt, over the last dozen pages or so, is that the major outcome from Brexit seems to be that I shan't be able to buy a Dutch palm tree that I don't want. By doing this I shall have reduced the HGV movement through Kent by 55,000 vehicles a year.

This, then, will reduce the pressure on the Customs facilities and staff on the Channel ports - which seems to be the other only issue Returners have identified.

Meanwhile the flowers I can buy are supporting much needed employment in a Commonwealth country? They are flown in by an industry in much need of the work to airports that, suddenly, have huge amounts of spare capacity, both in landing slots and freight handling.

Is it me?

The first rules were created in 1970.
You do remember who the rules were made for in the 1970's France Germany, the Benelux, they did not include us at the time as we were in EFTA
That's fine ...just convince our gardening trade that they should switch to home grown bananas. Oh and because you may have other bright ideas, have our arms industry fit guns to our trawlers...that's the way to go....right? The incestuous mentality of isolationists is like a form of islam. Here are some cartoons of your prophet for you to froth over!

bojo cartoon - Bing images

Amazing what Green houses can do, just ask the Dutch or the Spanish.

The seas around the United Kingdom belong to the United Kingdom. If you can't see that....
In the bigger picture...does that mean Britain can dump radioactive waste, sink foreign vessels and fish the waters to extinction? Like the air above our heads, the global responsibility for climate change and the environment must be shared. The notion that Britain can be isolated from the remainder of the planet in any way is backward thinking. Try telling the virus to feck off!

I read this, and the other political threads, with a view of trying to understand reasoned argument on both sides, to learn what the issues are from each view point, with the intention of forming a balanced, informed, opinion of my own.

What I have learnt, over the last dozen pages or so, is that the major outcome from Brexit seems to be that I shan't be able to buy a Dutch palm tree that I don't want. By doing this I shall have reduced the HGV movement through Kent by 55,000 vehicles a year.

This, then, will reduce the pressure on the Customs facilities and staff on the Channel ports - which seems to be the other only issue Returners have identified.

Meanwhile the flowers I can buy are supporting much needed employment in a Commonwealth country? They are flown in by an industry in much need of the work to airports that, suddenly, have huge amounts of spare capacity, both in landing slots and freight handling.

Is it me?
Yes it is you.

I used t

I once worked at a British firm that packaged fresh flowers for various UK supermarkets, all grown hydroponically on their own farms in Kenya, and flown in daily, with zero EU involvement.
That same British company ran tea plantations in assorted Asian counties, beef farming in South America, cold storage in the US and Australia, trucking fleets, a small fleet of cargo planes, all without EU involvement.
He doesn't know that we have airfreight flights into Heathrow, Gatwick and Norwich, not mention Edinburgh etc overnight nor the mail flights out is the obvious conclusion. Air traffic is only scheduled passenger flights. The one thing that is not covered in this sludge fest is that the freight forwarders are very busy, if demand is going down in the shops, they're going up on line. Moreover everyone thinks that industries are centred in one special area- they're not. It all depends on what's needed where and who can supply. Christ and we were told to think global. :rolleyes:

In a nation of gardeners, the horticulture industry is, worth £5bn a year, the consumer will pay for Brexit. Typically “Most likely we will see a 10% increase in costs.” Just what we need...right?

Hmm

(my bold) An opinion, taken from an article in the Guardian?

Admittedly the quote is from a chap who has some experience in the industry.

But it is one opinion and not one I can find reflected elsewhere.

The Graun is a news organ 4 square behind remaining in the EU, would you agree?

Thus it is a reasonable assumption that it's not likely to run op eds that show the EC in a negative light.

Latest EU infringement proceedings

Plant health: Commission requests THE UNITED KINGDOM to comply with EU rules on Xylella fastidiosa and Ceratocystis platani

The Commission decided today to send a letter of formal notice to the United Kingdom for failing to comply with the EU rules concerning the plant pests Xylella fastidiosa and Ceratocystis platani. On 21 April 2020, the UK introduced, and did not remove, amendments in the UK Statutory Instruments to the UK Official Controls Regulation 2019, which contain import restrictions regarding plant pests, including Xylella fastidiosa and Ceratocystis platani. While the EU has proportionate measures in place to protect plants from those plant pests, the UK protective measures are unjustifiably stricter than the EU requirements. The Commission therefore adopted Decision (EU) 2020/758 requiring the UK to remove its measures by 20 June 2020. Since the UK has not complied with this Decision, and maintains in force national rules which are not compliant with EU rules, the Commission has sent a letter of formal notice. The UK now has two months to take the necessary measures to comply with this letter, otherwise the Commission may send a reasoned opinion.

That one

They are.

And they do not require the EU meddling.

Whatever else you do today tell yourself to check before posting (your usual) bollox.

The first rules were created in 1970. The original six Common Market members realised that four countries applying to join the Common Market at that time (Britain, Ireland, Denmark including Greenland, and Norway) would control the richest fishing grounds in the world. The original six therefore drew up Council Regulation 2141/70 giving all Members equal access to all fishing waters.

Small peanuts but this government is desperate to break rules, treaties and international law to satisfy a minority of flag waving extremists who gave them the power to destroy us.
1604143882815.png

Without Googling, tell me how much , lets say, a Hybrid Tea rose bush costs?

I guarantee that without looking it up you will not know.

Therefore to suggest that the 5th horseman of the apocalypse is called "a couple of quid extra on a plant" is like the last spasm of projekt fear.

The Commission therefore adopted Decision (EU) 2020/758 requiring the UK to remove its measures by 20 June 2020. Since the UK has not complied with this Decision, and maintains in force national rules which are not compliant with EU rules, the Commission has sent a letter of formal notice. The UK now has two months to take the necessary measures to comply with this letter, otherwise the Commission may send a reasoned opinion.

Yes, that one :) :)

I wonder how having stricter measures in pest control would actually play out at the ECJ :):)

I would goad the EU into taking legal action just for sh!ts & g!ggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.