What now for the EU ?

He only did so because of the increase of voters to UKIP. Iirc both main parties had been promising us a referendum, when they were in opposition. As soon as they came into office, zilch. Like or loath Nigel, you've got to admire his focus on getting us out, (when it happens,) of the EU. cameron on the other hand is a waste of space, in my opinion. If he'd triggered article 50 shortly after the result was confirmed, we wouldn't have gone through the pantomime of the last four years. I still don't trust any of them, and that's why I refer to us leaving as "when it happens." Some politicians were saying extend the leave date, again, because of coronavirus. If that had been agreed, it would have given them, remainers, the excuse to extend it as long as the pandemic lasted, 5/6/10 years, giving them more time to come up with some other excuse to delay Brexit. There's still people who know better than us, and will still be trying to overturn the democratic process. They are the biggest danger to all our futures should they succeed.
Either way, he did. It follows there there was a political motive for doing so, but that was fine by me as I didn’t have to be persuaded for the need for a referendum.And He’d promised one in the election. I disagree about article 50 in that it was implicit either way such was the mess parliament had got us into. I’m afraid that if you watch JRM at the Oxford Union on the matter, it remains my favourite clip on the issue For calm clear logic.

philc

LE
I actually heard its 1 Million but cant find a page to confirm this, so here goes. This is unemployed foreigners, not the overall unemployed. Pleasing that Germany knows these stats we dont even know how many foreigners are in the country both legal and illegal.

In Germany

During the coronavirus pandemic, the number of unemployed foreigners has risen sharply by 24% to 840,000 since March, according to data from the Federal Employment Agency, Welt am Sonntag reported.

Germany: Merkel's CDU eyes Western Balkans immigration curbs amid coronavirus

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
ISTR he triggerered the referendum, so fair play
not really when he thought he would win large as his polling said 70% for the EU because they only polled the westminster bubble and put it to bed for as long as it took to lock us in totally. he might have won it too if he hadn't started project fear off in all its lunacy.

I think he understood it was an increasing issue when he saw thew lib dem vote in 2010 because they too promised a vote on europe but failed to understand the underlying discontent in the rest of the nation since the 80s.

the fact he deliberately resigned so he didn't have to enact art 50 as promised during the campaign is beneath contempt IMO.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I'll be sure to tune into LBC and listen to that lefty w@nker James O' Brian explode live on air. :D
whatever the reason I don't think I could face that.

It's not a done deal yet

signed
BL
Actually it's less than two hours; 2300 hrs is the deadline; not midnight.

BL would be right; the EU could change their own rules and the UK could agree to the change and an extension still could happen.

But I would think this would be difficult.

ISTR he triggerered the referendum, so fair play
Not really- it was one of those politicians’ “wheezes” cooked up with George Osborne. He was more worried by UKIP than he needed to be and promised a referendum conditionally in order to take the wind out of their sails.
The wheeze was that he never expected that the conditions would be met, iirc one was that the Tories had to be the majority government- when the general consensus at the time was that it was unlikely that we’d have anything other than coalitions for the foreseeable. Another was that he personally still had to be the leader of the party- when he had already flagged up his intention to step down.
Nope, they never intended it to, nor thought it could, happen

Actually it's less than two hours; 2300 hrs is the deadline; not midnight.

BL would be right; the EU could change their own rules and the UK could agree to the change and an extension still could happen.

But I would think this would be difficult.
The Government have little time left in which to either rescind or amend the law as it stands to allow it to agree to an extension now...

The deadline for extending the transition is 1 July 2020.​

However, the UK government has repeatedly ruled out any extension to the transition and the UK law prohibits it from agreeing to one, so this scenario appears very unlikely.​
I wonder If BL will finally accept that the UK has, to all intents and purposes, left the EU?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought the deadline was given by the UK as the cutoff period for negotiating a deal by december because they know the EU will drag it out.

this is to give both sides six months to work out the WTO terms and finalise their one systems.

the EU will still not be ready though and it would for them make economic sense to pass it over for GATT rule 24 as far as continuation of the huge trade imbalance in physical goods.

but that means the EU being subject to the WTO courts not the ECJ and they cannot have that..