What now for the EU ?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Which bit don’t you understand? HMRC publishes a comprehensive annual Corporation Tax report which clearly show the gross amount of taxable revenue, the allowances claimed and the net CT collected. Amongst a great deal of other information.

No British company has had £4Bn wiped off its tax bill.
I understand what I was told from the horses mouth so to speak. I had no reason to doubt any of it and still don't she was damn good at her job and I would assume still is as she is overseeing whole sectors and brexit legislation changes as a CCM.

Vodafone - got caught. they themselves expected and were prepared to pay liabilities up to 9bn, the official bill was over 7bn and they paid just over 2bn after taking Dave Hartnett out for a couple of fancy dinners to 'discuss things'. they had the money admitted to owing it and he still knocked 4bn off. I think the eye did something on it 12 years ago or when ever it was.

I was living with a senior tax inspector in the large business team - I would tend to believe what she told me about what was going on. I don't claim to understand the reasonings but it was what she said. and I remembered it because of the vocal way she said it and the conversation after watching one of the party political wibbles by the labour party who wanted to tax business more and she objected to it as being a waste of HMRC time based on the amount recovered compared to the other fiddles and evasion they were having to deal with.

Dave Hartnett and Lynn Homer were disasters for the HMRC.

Harnett had several incidences where he waived billions in tax liabilities and he used to cost the exchequer a fortune. Homer was just useless from start to finish she was the one who was trying to turn the HMRC into a call centre where big business would be so honest they would ring up to ask if their fiddles were legal or not. She also slashed the small business frequency checking so instead of a 1 in 20 chance of being checked it became a 1 in 2,000 chance and now is probably 1 in 8,000.

the pair of them were almost as damaging as the merger with customs in 04 where you had VAT inspectors who only did a 7 VAT week course trying to run departments where everyone had four years TAX training. it just became chaotic.

the girl ahead of her in gloucester/cheltenham did her show case work then buggered of on promotion. then someone checked her filing cabinet and found all the expired work she had not been doing while she was concentrating on her competancies. 280m in unpaid/uncollected/expired taxes.

then you have the thing where my missus came home complaining that she had 800m of tax liabilities from a dozen companies that she had found but would not be collected because recovery had run out of money to collect it.

For every pound spend on tax collection you get £28 back again. so why did they start slashing the HMRC budget and closing offices left right and centre?

I understand what I was told from the horses mouth so to speak. I had no reason to doubt any of it and still don't she was damn good at her job and I would assume still is as she is overseeing whole sectors and brexit legislation changes as a CCM.

Vodafone - got caught. they themselves expected and were prepared to pay liabilities up to 9bn, the official bill was over 7bn and they paid just over 2bn after taking Dave Hartnett out for a couple of fancy dinners to 'discuss things'. they had the money admitted to owing it and he still knocked 4bn off. I think the eye did something on it 12 years ago or when ever it was.

I was living with a senior tax inspector in the large business team - I would tend to believe what she told me about what was going on. I don't claim to understand the reasonings but it was what she said. and I remembered it because of the vocal way she said it and the conversation after watching one of the party political wibbles by the labour party who wanted to tax business more and she objected to it as being a waste of HMRC time based on the amount recovered compared to the other fiddles and evasion they were having to deal with.

Harnett had several incidences where he waived billions in tax liabilities and he used to cost the exchequer a fortune. Homer was just useless from start to finish she was the one who was trying to turn the HMRC into a call centre where big business would be so honest they would ring up to ask if their fiddles were legal or not. She also slashed the small business frequency checking so instead of a 1 in 20 chance of being checked it became a 1 in 2,000 chance and now is probably 1 in 8,000.

the pair of them were almost as damaging as the merger with customs in 04 where you had VAT inspectors who only did a 7 VAT week course trying to run departments where everyone had four years TAX training. it just became chaotic.

the girl ahead of her in gloucester/cheltenham did her show case work then buggered of on promotion. then someone checked her filing cabinet and found all the expired work she had not been doing while she was concentrating on her competancies. 280m in unpaid/uncollected/expired taxes.

then you have the thing where my missus came home complaining that she had 800m of tax liabilities from a dozen companies that she had found but would not be collected because recovery had run out of money to collect it.

For every pound spend on tax collection you get £28 back again. so why did they start slashing the HMRC budget and closing offices left right and centre?
What Hartnett and the other useless bitch were crap at was confrontation: VAT bods may not have had a bespoke leisurely training course but they were pretty good at visiting traders at their premises, bailiff accompanied if necessary, generally took no sh*t and left with the money.
Customs at the time of the merger had a pretty effective, albeit small, Investigation service but punched above its weight with a national remit, access to airline/ferry passenger lists (freight included), liaison officers dotted around the globe.
It was actually a pretty cool place to work until the merger when tax inspectors pitched up demanding individual offices because they needed peace and quiet to work on stuff you lot wouldn't understand.
It didn't go down too well when some twat demanded that some hairy arrsed drugs SIO vacate his office...

Nice story but it’s bollocks. The supposed bill was for Vodafone’s earnings on their German operation, Mannesheim, which was registered in Luxembourg.

The case rested on the application of the UKs Controlled Foreign Company (CFC) rules which determine that income from foreign subsidiaries is taxed whether or not it is brought into the UK. HMRC said they applied, Vodafone disagreed. They couldn’t apply in the EU because they are in contravention of, amongst other things, the EUs freedom of establishment rules. The British courts ruled on this several times; no British companies with CFCs within the EU pay CT on earnings which they retain in the EU.

The scandal here is the fact that HMRC spent millions of taxpayers money chasing tax that was not due. Their unwarranted pursuit of British companies with CFCs in the EU would have ended up in the European Court. Harnett realised that and pulled the plug. Of course that doesn’t fit the lefty anti-business agenda nor HMRCs staff antipathy to Harnett.

As for the alleged sum, well that was made up by Richard Brooks at Private Eye. He simply looked at Vodafone’s cash holdings in Luxembourg and applied British tax rates to them. There never was a £6Bn bill; the tax due was paid when the profits were imported to the UK.

A couple of pieces from the Guardian about fishing:

Reference the potential blockades. Could they not just use the ports in Holland instead of running the gauntlet of angry French people and the enrichment of the Calais jungle ?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Reference the potential blockades. Could they not just use the ports in Holland instead of running the gauntlet of angry French people and the enrichment of the Calais jungle ?
Be nice if that option was mooted about Trade in general and it was ensured the Frogs got to hear about it. the meltdown would be glorious.

They will have to, granting fishing quotas will unleash the Farage from the deep and give Boris no end of grief, Holland, Hamburg, Spain instead. French coast only for raiding and pillaging

Last edited:

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Nice story but it’s bollocks. The supposed bill was for Vodafone’s earnings on their German operation, Mannesheim, which was registered in Luxembourg.

The case rested on the application of the UKs Controlled Foreign Company (CFC) rules which determine that income from foreign subsidiaries is taxed whether or not it is brought into the UK. HMRC said they applied, Vodafone disagreed. They couldn’t apply in the EU because they are in contravention of, amongst other things, the EUs freedom of establishment rules. The British courts ruled on this several times; no British companies with CFCs within the EU pay CT on earnings which they retain in the EU.

The scandal here is the fact that HMRC spent millions of taxpayers money chasing tax that was not due. Their unwarranted pursuit of British companies with CFCs in the EU would have ended up in the European Court. Harnett realised that and pulled the plug. Of course that doesn’t fit the lefty anti-business agenda nor HMRCs staff antipathy to Harnett.

As for the alleged sum, well that was made up by Richard Brooks at Private Eye. He simply looked at Vodafone’s cash holdings in Luxembourg and applied British tax rates to them. There never was a £6Bn bill; the tax due was paid when the profits were imported to the UK.
It was for 'loans' Vodafone was moving about as everyone else was claiming po boxes and answering services were legitimate subsidiaries or indeed head offices, it was deemed taxable and the bill presented accordingly

HMRC was going through the recovery motions and hartnett put a stop to it.

She caught one out when reviewing someone else's work, hundreds of millions being paid to a European part that didn't exist just short of a billion if memory serves. One reason why Gloucester which was a tenth the size of Bristol collected four times as much tax. And is now closed along with Cheltenham and Stroud who also had better figures

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Couldn't we launch burning boats at the blockade at night time to put them off a bit, or is French rules and you're only allowed to burn sheep for blockades

Couldn't we launch burning boats at the blockade at night time to put them off a bit, or is French rules and you're only allowed to burn sheep for blockades
Every cloud has a silver lining. A blockade means no trucks to jump in to / under or assault drivers. Perhaps with less activity, the French police could divert their resources to policing dinghy theft being used to go to the land of milk and honey.

Every cloud has a silver lining. A blockade means no trucks to jump in to / under or assault drivers. Perhaps with less activity, the French police could divert their resources to policing dinghy theft being used to go to the land of milk and honey.
‘ ... the land of milk and honey.’
Exodus 3 says this is the ‘Promised Land’ of Jewish tradition.
I would have thought this was out of bounds to most of the dinghy invaders and a lot of their Labour supporters!

Why do people worry about chlorinated chicken? when all the water you drink & shower/swim in the swimming pool etc, has been treated with chlorine and you're made from about 80% of water. If you're worried about chicken - don't eat it - or wash it before you cook it.
It can be used to hide other problems with the chicken.

‘ ... the land of milk and honey.’
Exodus 3 says this is the ‘Promised Land’ of Jewish tradition.
I would have thought this was out of bounds to most of the dinghy invaders and a lot of their Labour supporters!
But Genesis told us it was the land of confusion....What;s a goy to do ?

But Genesis told us it was the land of confusion....What;s a goy to do ?
I've got no reply at all, but maybe the man on the corner thinks that land of milk and honey is literally just throwing it all away as it would get a bit sticky in the sunshine

Chef

LE
What about orange sauce with duck? (I left out plum sauce with duck as it is Chinese chow - which is not exactly flavour of the year at the moment).
Duck a l'orange? Interestingly back in the day when the Angus steak house was the height of sophistication duck a l'orange and boeuf bourguignon were the two most popular 'foreign' dishes ordered in restaurants as they sounded posh and most people could sound good while ordering them.