What now for the EU ?

One would have thought that a useful and popular piece of government legislation post-Brexit would have been to have rigorous and well-defined* "country of origin" labelling on goods and services.

Given issues such as Chinese expansionism and US chlorination of chicken, such legislation would be an easy win-win for everyone.

After that, its down to personal informed choice.

*By "well-defined", the national content of goods could be described as % of value, eg where a device has components of mixed origin, or of mixed added value, or of tax jurisdiction, etc.
It would also do away with the current EU legislation which permits an ‘EU’ label, even if the product is only packed in the EU.

Londo

LE
Yup, when it's correctly labelled as
'Polish Mince' it didn't catch the public's imagination..
D'y really think it was thrown away?

There was a Irish fella called Larry Goodman who decided to control the lucrative red meat trade of the British Isles a quarter of a century ago.....

He was an amateur compared to these lads.

Dig as deep as you dare, but one thing's for certain, unless you're a Veggie, you'll have consumed some of their product in the last week, and you won't have a bloody clue what accent it moo'd or oinked in!
We tend to buy almost all our meat from a local butchers these days . Fortunately they are taking telephone orders and doing deliveries at the moment . All their meat is sourced locally .
In fact the woman that owns the shop also runs a pig farm Not that I can eat pork as it just doesn't agree with me . (pork products are ok in smallish amounts )
Our veggies are also bought at local farm gate stalls if possible and during the summer months I tend to grow a lot of my own .

What about orange sauce with duck? (I left out plum sauce with duck as it is Chinese chow - which is not exactly flavour of the year at the moment).
Seek help....

Orange fcukung sauce..

I've got a Hyderabad recipes for lamb with plums and a Moghul recipes for lamb with apricots that are both utterly delicious and make a great centrepiece for an indian banquet.
Another one gone native....

Anyone who eats apricots in any form deserves beating with a piece of 4x2 IMHO..

Last edited:
Chicken Veronique - chicken in a lovely white sauce with peeled grapes. Delish.
You'll forgive me for not taking culinary tips from someone whose countrys contribution to international cuisine is the deep fried Mars bar...

And it sounds very french..... :cool: ;)
Oh, and what about tomatoes - they are a fruit after all, not a vegetable.
Tomatoes. The exception that proves the rule...;)

Oops

War Hero
It would also do away with the current EU legislation which permits an ‘EU’ label, even if the product is only packed in the EU.
There'll be that many Union Flags on the packaging you won't be able to see the product.....
Still won't mean it's not crossed some water to get here!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You'll forgive me for not taking culinary tips from someone whose countrys contribution to international cuisine is the deep fried Mars bar...

And it sounds very french..... :cool: ;)

Tomatoes. The exception that proves the rule...;)
And cucumbers

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Another one gone native....

Anyone who eats apricots in any form deserves beating with a piece of 4x2 IMHO..
Forgive me for thinking this, but I'm not.going to take advice on my taste from someone that like thrapping to land-whales...

I said that to her at the time and she stuck by her claims - she does have a degree in the subject and spent most of her time buried in the appeals and stuff that went on.

and yes tax avoidance is legal - but getting 4bn wiped off your bill by taking the Head of HMRC out for a couple of fancy burgers was a low point and makes me wonder how many more like that went on.

some of the things tied up in appeals that were waiting for the result of a single case on its 8th appeal was silly.

Blair added the most apparently - the 'book' has gone from being half an inch to 4 inches thick was how one of her bosses described it.
Which bit don’t you understand? HMRC publishes a comprehensive annual Corporation Tax report which clearly show the gross amount of taxable revenue, the allowances claimed and the net CT collected. Amongst a great deal of other information.

No British company has had £4Bn wiped off its tax bill.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Research a certain dead per rodent website and you may find some videos that prove otherwise.
Courgettes do the job better (it's the ridges see, work wonders when you twist it slowly. Allegedly) and have the added advantage of actually being edible.

Forgive me for thinking this, but I'm not.going to take advice on my taste from someone that like thrapping to land-whales...
Have a funny for thrapping, not a word I've heard for many a year.

Latest Threads