Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

I’m struggling to find out where I voted for leaving the EU with some sort of deal.
Cameron’s very expensive Pamphlets that we paid for, £9 million iirc, only intimated that the government would try to make a deal with the EU.
I didn’t vote on the promise of a deal, I voted to leave the EU and all it’s nonsense.

My own view is that it is better for all concerned to reach some sort of agreement, but not at any price and not on the basis of subjugation.

green_slime

Old-Salt
I’m struggling to find out where I voted for leaving the EU with some sort of deal.
Cameron’s very expensive Pamphlets that we paid for, £9 million iirc, only intimated that the government would try to make a deal with the EU.
I didn’t vote on the promise of a deal, I voted to leave the EU and all it’s nonsense.
you do realise that 'no deal' is essentially a deal, it is just that the trading terms are set by WTO

Wash your mouth out with soap for mentioning that useless pile of dog droppings.

Oyibo

LE
My own view is that it is better for all concerned to reach some sort of agreement, but not at any price and not on the basis of subjugation.

I think everyone would agree up until they decide to define subjugation. By my definition having the ECJ judge us, the EU tell us what laws we have to obey and what regulations we are bound by is definitely subjugation.

Some remainers think otherwise.

The EU challenged Britain to decide what future it wants for itself outside the bloc’s single market and customs union after 47 years as a member of the union.

“The real question is - which political, economic, social project do they want for their own future?” European Council President Charles Michel said. “And this is a question for the British government and for the British people.”

I guess the jackboot lickers haven’t heard of the Commonwealth?

As usual the EU are taking it down to the wire. I have stated on here several times (thanks to an article by David Davies) that the EU are notorious for holding out until the 11th hour for a compromise. BOJO must stand firm unless that last minute compromise is in our favour (highly unlikely)
If BOJO has any aspirations of keeping his job and not going down in history as the guy that bottled it, he must not yield.
I am still keeping the champers on ice until 1 minute past midnight on the 31st though.

I guess the jackboot lickers haven’t heard of the Commonwealth?
Our Commonwealth of Nations rubs their nose in the failure of their Empires every few years.
What other Imperial/Empirical body on this earth, can boast of an existing, peaceful group of nations that some still have a common head of state and have successful games? The Frogs have some sort of 'Look, we all speak French so look what we have done for you" gathering. If you have ever lived or worked in an African Francophone country, you'll know how shite our nearest empire suceeded.

I think everyone would agree up until they decide to define subjugation. By my definition having the ECJ judge us, the EU tell us what laws we have to obey and what regulations we are bound by is definitely subjugation.

Some remainers think otherwise.
Many remainers don’t think being in the EU is subjugation so they’re hardly going to think leaving but staying under the EUs rules and judgement is.

BOJO must stand firm unless that last minute compromise is in our favour (highly unlikely)
On a midweek Downing Street briefing this week, one of the media pack asked a multi question - vaccine blah blah blah and deal, no deal blah blah blah.

The prime minister handed the vaccine question off ro the scientists and then almost as a throw-away remark, he said (paraphrased), ‘we are working very hard with our European friends to reach an agreement but they know what our red lines are. Next...’

On that basis, he appears to have dug in but... has he?

My view is start the new year with no deal and then get into horse trading on equal terms.

Our Commonwealth of Nations rubs their nose in the failure of their Empires every few years.
What other Imperial/Empirical body on this earth, can boast of an existing, peaceful group of nations that some still have a common head of state and have successful games? The Frogs have some sort of 'Look, we all speak French so look what we have done for you" gathering. If you have ever lived or worked in an African Francophone country, you'll know how shite our nearest empire suceeded.
I spent a year in Gabon in the 90s. Nicest place in Africa that I've been, lovely people and always felt safe out at night.

On a midweek Downing Street briefing this week, one of the media pack asked a multi question - vaccine blah blah blah and deal, no deal blah blah blah.

The prime minister handed the vaccine question off ro the scientists and then almost as a throw-away remark, he said (paraphrased), ‘we are working very hard with our European friends to reach an agreement but they know what our red lines are. Next...’

On that basis, he appears to have dug in but... has he?

My view is start the new year with no deal and then get into horse trading on equal terms.
I don't know about equal terms. Their interpretation of a level playing feild is fvcking hilarious. They want us to comply with their conditions and common tax and exchange rates whilst at the same time allowing Greece and Ireland to offer reduced tax rates to attract foreign investments.

This has been my default setting for some time now.
If we leave on WTO terms then we can start negotiations as an independent soveriegn state. Of course the remaining EU nations will block/fight and delay any trade deals done with the UK, but eventually they will come round. The big players in the EU like the car industries, food manufacturers, energy suppliers etc. will not want to delay indefinately when there's money to be made. Pressure will be put on the respective governments and money will win in the end. It always does.

Oyibo

LE
I spent a year in Gabon in the 90s. Nicest place in Africa that I've been, lovely people and always felt safe out at night.

Until it all goes wrong. In the early 2000s Schlumberger wives and kids had to jump off a 3-story Total building to escape the mobs (legs broken, and so on). The airport road was barricaded etc, etc, and that was when the French still had an Army base near the airport.

In 2009 similar, but slightly less violent events occurred. 2016, same-same.

Not meaning to denigrate your experiences, but much of my work has been concerned with the less pleasant side of society. Gabon is not the land of milk and honey

Last edited:

ACAB

LE
I fail to see what concern this is of the EU? How the UK goes forward is the choice of the UK, the path is steered by who ever the country elects, the choices they put forward and if the majority want those choices. What concern is it of the EU.

The EU challenged Britain to decide what future it wants for itself outside the bloc’s single market and customs union after 47 years as a member of the union.

“The real question is - which political, economic, social project do they want for their own future?” European Council President Charles Michel said. “And this is a question for the British government and for the British people.”

We do not want ANYTHING to do with the failed Ponzi scheme which, even as I type, is imploding over the 750 BILLION bail out scheme .

you do realise that 'no deal' is essentially a deal, it is just that the trading terms are set by WTO

Given the majority of UK trade is under the auspices of WTO, it should be characterised as being a "leap towards the familiar".

Quite how it's been characterised as being a "cliff edge" or "a leap into the dark" is beyond me.

Latest Threads