Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

He He He

Words that I really do hope come back to bite the French very hard on the derriere

If a good agreement cannot be reached, we will oppose it. Each country has a veto right,” Beaune told Europe 1 radio.

Not if your name happens to be Poland or Hungary you don't.

The European Commission will move to launch the EU’s proposed €750 billion recovery fund without Hungary and Poland if there’s no breakthrough in the budget deadlock at next week’s European Council, Commission President Ursula von der Leyen told European Parliament President David Sassoli on Wednesday, according to two Parliament officials.

The true face of the EU. Do we really want to negotiate with crap like that ?

I think that Macon thinks that by effectively blockading the UK via the short straits from 01/01/21, he will get us crawling back to re-open negotiations on his terms within 4-6 weeks. Even Simon Coveney has warned him that this is madness and that the UK cannot be forced back to the negotiating table like this. Also, any blockade of Dover-Calais will displace that trade to Belgian and Dutch ports, probably never to return to Calais. This will give Marine Le Pen and open goal in next years' Presidential Election.
I think it’s more basic than that. Broadly the same outcome. If the EU gets the concession of it having territorial waters, then it’s the beginning of the EU state. Perhaps even the French haven’t tumbled that yet.

Seems France is bracing the Fishing communities for some bad news.

But in response to calls from Olivier Leprêtre, the president of the Hauts-de-France regional committee for maritime fisheries, for maintaining current access to UK waters, the prime minister counselled that France had to accept a new reality.

And this is not happening.

During a briefing on Wednesday, the French ambassador in Brussels had told the EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, that Paris would prefer to restart talks with the UK in 2021 rather than rush into a deal damaging to European interests.

I can see the EU paying subsidies to those effected by the lose of Fishing rights, another bill and headache for the EU.

Oh dear, etc.

EU still in denial

Brexit trade talks are in the difficult phase and a deal can only be struck if the European Union accepts that Britain is a sovereign nation, a British minister said on Friday after London indicated that the chance of a breakthrough was receding.

The time has long passed when the UK should have sent them packing and told them to present themselves front and centre at 10 Downing Street, when they had familiarised themselves with the word ' reality '

Oyibo

LE
Snipped

3. Is he so deluded that he thinks that by being a c**k and screwing over the other EU States, this will get him a top job at the EU when he gets hoofed in 2022 ?

I could understand acting tough for domestic consumption with a view to the upcoming Presidential election, Acting tough does not equate to a miracle though.

IMO he has chosen the path of appearing to stand up for the French regardless of the EU to get re-elected - a one hit wonder (in the elections) won't see him parading down the Champs Elysees or the Rond Point Schuman while adoring crowds chant "Vive l'Empereur".

Without a second term he will be in with little chance of being Emperor of Europe. If he stands up to Perfidious Albion and is re-elected he might just make it ('despite Brexit' to coin a phrase).

Last edited:
I think that Macon thinks that by effectively blockading the UK via the short straits from 01/01/21, he will get us crawling back to re-open negotiations on his terms within 4-6 weeks. Even Simon Coveney has warned him that this is madness and that the UK cannot be forced back to the negotiating table like this. Also, any blockade of Dover-Calais will displace that trade to Belgian and Dutch ports, probably never to return to Calais. This will give Marine Le Pen and open goal in next years' Presidential Election.

Nobody can be stupid enough to think that blockading Calais is anything more than closing the door to and from France.

I'm sure those exporters relying on that trade route out of Europe will show solidarity and get on board with this...

Nobody can be stupid enough to think that blockading Calais is anything more than closing the door to and from France.

I'm sure those exporters relying on that trade route out of Europe will show solidarity and get on board with this...

alas pour France, HMG doesn’t see Calais as le Gateway en Europe Dan’s le post Brexit future.

HMG investment in Dover?
Bugger all
HMG investment in Thames Gateway, the East cost ports and associated transport infrastructure?
Plus de £Billions

Last edited:
alas pour France, HMG doesn’t see Calais as le Gateway en Europe Dan’s le post Brexit future.

HMG investment in Dover?
Bugger all
HMG investment in Thames Gareway, the East cost ports and associated transport infrastructure?
Plus de £Billions
As I understand it from someone dealing with this sort of thing locally, Dover’s inherent problem is location: not much room to expand, even though a certain expansion has taken place to cover the Western Docks.
In addition, installing new infrastructure at the current port would have meant massive disruption of traffic flow through the port. Hence Thames Gateway in anticipation of greater container traffic post Brexit.

civvy

Old-Salt

The continetal system worked jolly well in the 19th century didn't it.

Last edited:

Oyibo

LE
Is he really doing that badly in the French polls?

@Portree Kid got there first

Depends which polls you believe - anywhere between 32% and 49% popularity. Much better than Hollande, but Macron is truly despised by many in France - Arguably, he only got the presidency by chance in the last general election

With 70% of EU trade to the UK (and Ireland) going through just 2 ports in an already economically depressed region of France, he is not going to blockade anything.
It is only 120 odd road miles from Calais to Brussels and most of that is 2 lane motorways.
Not very suitable for stacking lorries on .

Like a lot of his political ideas in the past, they always start off as good ideas, then going towards legislation he gets shot down in the media, and people are out on the streets at the drop of a hat.
Good ideas and intentions are then forgotten about totally or so watered down that the President after next will have to deal with them.
(Pensions and health reform are the first two subjects that spring to mind.)

So, Macron says he's going to veto any deal not in Frances favour

this was alwayson the cards , so we have just wasted 41/2 years talking to them about a deal

now would be a good time to just say "well that's it ... off you toddle, !"