Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Seems France is bracing the Fishing communities for some bad news.

But in response to calls from Olivier Leprêtre, the president of the Hauts-de-France regional committee for maritime fisheries, for maintaining current access to UK waters, the prime minister counselled that France had to accept a new reality.

And this is not happening.

During a briefing on Wednesday, the French ambassador in Brussels had told the EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, that Paris would prefer to restart talks with the UK in 2021 rather than rush into a deal damaging to European interests.

I can see the EU paying subsidies to those effected by the lose of Fishing rights, another bill and headache for the EU.

"While fishing accounts for less than 0.1% of the British economy, the sector is emblematic of Brexit, with Johnson frequently declaring the importance of establishing sovereignty and control over who has access to British waters"

Words from the Gruniad journocunt.

They still don't get it, do they? Would it hurt them to add the word 'currently', with their premise that fishing isn't important as it's such a small percentage. The words of remainers, again, reminds me of the debacle on the Thames when team remain got some gobshite Boggy to pour derision on British interests.

Capture.JPG

1607023360557.png

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I don't normally read this thread. Zero Alpha just read an article (may have been mumsnet, may have been their splinter group). I can't find the link quickly and can't be arrsed. Apologies if I'm repeating.

The EU have decided that the vaccine, manufactured in Belgium, won't be licensed anywhere in the EU until every member state has approved licensing. (Belgium has claimed some get-out.)

Excuse me while I turn to the South and wave smugly at the EU.

Dumb1

War Hero
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the saint Bob the pantomime villain show was one of the pivotal moments of the referendum. That and Cameron's confusion on his Government's support for Turkey's accession. Real theatre, both of them.

I really want the EU to have to accept: our waters, our rules, decided in our interest.

Last edited:

Excuse me while I turn to the South and wave smugly at the EU.
Of course, being former Cav, considered by some to be ‘gentlemanly’, you will ensure your fingers are firmly together as in a salute.
On the other hand you are Ret’d, so you could be forgiven for a certain ‘looseness’ between the first two fingers.

Of course, being former Cav, considered by some to be ‘gentlemanly’, you will ensure your fingers are firmly together as in a salute.
On the other hand you are Ret’d, so you could be forgiven for a certain ‘looseness’ between the first two fingers.
As if holding an invisible cigarrette ?

lecky

War Hero
The French awarded some 60,000 Resistance Medals to the brave chaps after the war.
Hmmmmm…

Most Germans in France were billeted in domestic properties for which they paid a fair rent, gratefully received by the French landladies.
Other than Officers who carried a sidearm, these billeted soldiers were generally unarmed.
You would think that with those odds, they could have soundly defeated the hated Bosch while in their beds. Alas, the only thing generally getting 'shot' at night was their women.
That's in stark contrast to a documentary I watched this afternoon, about Canadian Forces in Normandy, where a Canadian Old boy recounted how he was never feeling satisfied with the rations. He was so hungry at one point, that when he found out that there was an unofficial Cafe set up in one of the houses in the village they had just liberated, he decided to pay it a visit. They asked for $52 for 2 eggs and 10 "not 11... you got 10" Chips.
Double egg and chips at $52 for your liberators!
It was pointed out that at todays rates that would have bought him Dinner and a Bed at the Ritz!

philc

LE
After some dirty matelot bastard has been there?

Lets face it Dirty Matelots have been every where even birds in the Shot, some Pub full of Harringtons, Dessert Boots and the smell of Lynx, and Squaddie bait, yet I take the prize, the fittest bird in the Boozer. Jack loves a challenge.

Not being flippant but I read the first couple of paragraphs and this:

Potential reforms should be considered ahead of the 2024 elections, such as remote voting in specific circumstances, lowering the minimum voting age to 16, common admission, campaigning and funding rules, and the establishment of a European Electoral Authority. The upcoming Conference on the Future of Europe could examine these topics and others, say MEPs, such as transnational lists that would increase the visibility of European political parties and movements, the establishment of collective responsibility for the Commission and the transformation of the Council into a second EU legislative chamber, building on the momentum of youth participation.

Our youth will set us free.
breaking-news.png

philc

LE
That's in stark contrast to a documentary I watched this afternoon, about Canadian Forces in Normandy, where a Canadian Old boy recounted how he was never feeling satisfied with the rations. He was so hungry at one point, that when he found out that there was an unofficial Cafe set up in one of the houses in the village they had just liberated, he decided to pay it a visit. They asked for $52 for 2 eggs and 10 "not 11... you got 10" Chips.
Double egg and chips at $52 for your liberators!
It was pointed out that at todays rates that would have bought him Dinner and a Bed at the Ritz!

To be fair, we had just flattened the place and the locals were a tad put out. Still thats taking the piss.

Makes you wonder how this country would have been if we had been over run by the Bosch ?
I think very similar to what happened in the Channel Islands TBH .

Steve Bray and his ilk would be there waving their little flags and crying with elation at their European overlords landing on our beaches to save them from those nasty Brexiteers

lecky

War Hero
To be fair, we had just flattened the place and the locals were a tad put out. Still thats taking the piss.
Yeah.
$2 for the Eggs, chips fuel to cook it with + skim.
$50 for the forthcoming EU sponsored Reconstruction Fund I suppose?
Such foresight.

You got to wonder what the attitude would have been in 1940 if the War had reached that far west. Imagine the
sketch being the British and French in the role of doing the barricaded in the Village bit and ze Germans cast in the role of having to smash the place up to get them out.... sometime during the immediate aftermath you get:"52D's Hans sil-vouz plais!"

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the saint Bob the pantomime villain show was one of the pivotal moments of the referendum. That and Cameron's confusion on his Government's support for Turkey's accession. Real cnuts, both of them.

I really want the EU to have to accept: our waters, our rules, decided in our interest.
Gratis.

Latest Threads