Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

and disappeared,
This documentary shows where they are...
images.jpeg

oh yes, forget that, that race of aliens who beamed down in 1933, took over 50 million Germans with a mind control beam, then beamed up in 1945 and disappeared,
To be a little cynical, you are not entirely wrong. At least there were hardly any Nazis to be found after 1945.

Chust a wee change.
I've heard some sad stories from my grandpa of people which, one day before an American company of Shermans rolled through the village, strolled in full NSDAP gold pheasant uniform around and called for resistance and fight to the death.
Such an idiot gave my uncle, who had been well indoctrinated in the Hitler Youth, a K98k and a bazooka. But a proper beating by my grandfather defeated the indoctrination.
After the Yanks had occupied/liberated the village these peole were true resistance fighters. Disgusting.

philc

LE
They’ll just use the Resistance routes their Grandfathers taught them about.

They might want to look out they will get trampled by the hordes of Doctors and Engineers coming the other way.

Hundreds of thousands, if not millions of them.

I used to be very sceptical about how much resistance actually occured in France during the last big one.
Then I visited my sister who lives in what was a Vichy part of the Auvergne in the middle-ish of France.
There is plenty of surviving evidence of the resistance and of the price many paid for being involved.

As fashionable as it is (and from myself too) to be critical and/or sceptical a lot of French died resisting the Germans.
Probably not as many as who stood alongiside the Germans but that shouldn't lessen the respect for those who stood on the right side.

I used to be very sceptical about how much resistance actually occured in France during the last big one.
Then I visited my sister who lives in what was a Vichy part of the Auvergne in the middle-ish of France.
There is plenty of surviving evidence of the resistance and of the price many paid for being involved.

As fashionable as it is (and from myself too) to be critical and/or sceptical a lot of French died resisting the Germans.
Probably not as many as who stood alongiside the Germans but that shouldn't lessen the respect for those who stood on the right side.
Agreed, there were a significant number who paid the price for their resistance, yet a minuscule fraction of the population as a whole. And it doesn't lessen the fact that huge numbers claimed others' valour post-war.

And some ordinary people resisted in simple but still courageous ways. When they saw the bodies of my grandfather and his fellow aircrew being buried on a beach the local mayor and townsfolk intervened and insisted they were buried with full honours in the local cemetary.

civvy

Old-Salt

One at L'Orient submarine base. The guy in charge of building works, a Frenchman Jaques Stosskopf, was collaborating with the Germans in keeping the submarine base running. The French wanted to kill him. In reality he was using his senior position to sabotage operations and inform the allies of submarine movements.

When, he dissappeared the French though that he had been whisked away to Germany. In reality he'd been rumbled and the Germans killed him.

I was chatting with a D.Day vet last year who said they kept hearing about the resistance after they landed but they never saw them anywhere until after the fighting was done. That was just his small part of the war though and I'm sure there were plenty who did do their bit.

I was chatting with a D.Day vet last year who said they kept hearing about the resistance after they landed but they never saw them anywhere until after the fighting was done. That was just his small part of the war though and I'm sure there were plenty who did do their bit.

les Americainnes had some ‘interaction’ with the French Resistance after their landings.

the ‘interactions’ stopped after the Americans started shooting back and killed a few pour encourage les autres.

Last edited:

Latest Threads