What now for the EU ?

aardvark64

Old-Salt
I really have no idea. I assume that they are illiterate and hence can't read the packaging "Produce of USA" or "Produce of UK" and make an informed decision based on that simple criteria.
My cynicism kicked in at this point, what makes you think people will have a choice in the long run? There may be little or no UK produce to buy in the mass marketplace.

My (cynical) prediction is that money-grabbing supermarkets will push the the US-sourced stuff. It'll be cheaper to buy for them and even after a hefty mark-up will still be cheaper (easily) than UK-sourced stuff. Hence people will buy it. It's a consistent quality and available in bulk - what's not to like? Consumers will swallow their principles after the first few purchases.

Once the US produce is accepted by consumers, the supermarkets will start to charge an ever-increasing premium for home-grown UK chicken. This wil be to the point that only cash-rich people can afford the luxury and UK farmers largely go out of business. Then there will be an argument from 'demand' for the supermarkets to stop selling UK chicken at all. Except may be Waitrose or high street butchers (remember them?).

The wonders of modern capitalism. Every little helps...

My cynicism kicked in at this point, what makes you think people will have a choice in the long run? There may be little or no UK produce to buy in the mass marketplace.

My (cynical) prediction is that money-grabbing supermarkets will push the the US-sourced stuff. It'll be cheaper to buy for them and even after a hefty mark-up will still be cheaper (easily) than UK-sourced stuff. Hence people will buy it. It's a consistent quality and available in bulk - what's not to like? Consumers will swallow their principles after the first few purchases.

Once the US produce is accepted by consumers, the supermarkets will start to charge an ever-increasing premium for home-grown UK chicken. This wil be to the point that only cash-rich people can afford the luxury and UK farmers largely go out of business. Then there will be an argument from 'demand' for the supermarkets to stop selling UK chicken at all. Except may be Waitrose or high street butchers (remember them?).

If people really care, they won't buy American chicken. If they don't they will. It's that simple. I for one won't be

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
You dirty heathen bastard. Are you french?

The only fruit that should be served with meat is apple sauce with pork & cranberry with Turkey.

Lemon, at a push can accompany a G&T..
redcurrant jelly?

aardvark64

Old-Salt
If people really care, they won't buy American chicken. If they don't they will. It's that simple. I for one won't be
Have to say, I fear it will become increasingly hard for you to stick to your principles.

------
ETA: forgot to include the quote....

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
She’s wrong.

At £55 Bn, CT was about 9% of the total 2019 tax take, fourth after income tax, NI and fuel duty. It obviously worth HMRC collecting, especially as they aren’t actually doing the collecting.Capital allowances and other deductions from gross income amount to near enough 50 of that income.

What you describe as “a lot of legal argy bargy” is actually corporate accountant and tax lawyers ensuring that the company meets its legal requirement to pay the correct tax. It’s got nothing to do with reducing “what they are supposed to pay”; tax avoidance is entirely legal and directors have a duty to shareholders to ensure that the company doesn’t pay too much tax. The overhead to do so is born by the company.

We really should be asking is why we have a complex labyrinth of taxes which are collected by industry. Is there a simpler way to collect tax that reduces overhead and frees up that cash for investment?
I said that to her at the time and she stuck by her claims - she does have a degree in the subject and spent most of her time buried in the appeals and stuff that went on.

and yes tax avoidance is legal - but getting 4bn wiped off your bill by taking the Head of HMRC out for a couple of fancy burgers was a low point and makes me wonder how many more like that went on.

some of the things tied up in appeals that were waiting for the result of a single case on its 8th appeal was silly.

Blair added the most apparently - the 'book' has gone from being half an inch to 4 inches thick was how one of her bosses described it.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
She's still talking out of her ARRSE, as the figure I quoted came from OBR under "tax receipts into HMT from corporations tax"............not some mysterious "tax that would have been due had no deductions been made".

It's too funny.
as I said she raised the point about it - IIRC when it came up on the telly - probably labour demanding it be increased and their quoting some figure like 250bn) because of what it costs to administer and collect with all the appeals for allowances and the like tying money up for decades. Biffa appealing the allowances for the clay liner in land fills (something to do with being able to claim for the back and sides but not to the top) still has the industry in turmoil and has been going on for at least 8 years.

she said it needed to a fair flat rate for all

I looked it up and quoted the figures at her but then she went on about why it wasn't.

she's a CCM now so I have no reason to doubt her. she lost her personality after all that training and could quote tax cases ad infinitum.

Oops

War Hero
Why do people worry about chlorinated chicken? when all the water you drink & shower/swim in the swimming pool etc, has been treated with chlorine and you're made from about 80% of water. If you're worried about chicken - don't eat it - or wash it before you cook it.
No dag in the fight ,cos I'm a contrarian in my chosen field anyway (a 10 acre one at present) ...
The 'gist' of the whole chlorinated chicken debate isn't the ingestion of chlorine,folk go swimming all the time,it's supposedly healthy..
It's a precaution built into the US Food regs. to cover for the incomplete evisceration of said poultry,on highly 'efficient' processing lines.
Ie.
Their immigrants aren't as good as our immigrants at following orders, plus the Yanks use alot of high pressure cold water in their process that's a 'no no' in EU cos of the risk associated with spreading salmonella/ botulism infected entrail all about the place...

A chlorinated bath tends to insure against harming large swathes of their population.
(They've got far more regressive ways of doin that)
Ps.
It'll be 'hormone' beef next...

'Angel dust' they used to call it in our Small and Valued neighbouring isle.
I'm sure nowt like that could ever go on nowadays, I mean it's not like you'd ever confuse a cow with a horse now, is it Bjaysus?

Eta.
When it was legal over here ( we never bothered, we just left the bulls knackers on and let nature do its thing, still do) there were more oestrogens and progesterone occurring naturally in a winter White cabbage than what was inserted into a beasts ear....
There's plenty more to waffle about.
But hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good story.
Eta#2
Apologies to @old_n_fat,
Hadn't read all posts, just playing catch up.

Last edited:

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
He's a Mayor he can't even manage to run TFL, he shut up before he digs himself a bigger hole

He's got less authority than Alan Partridge
the main issue for him is that more people voted to leave than voted for him so he doesn't even represent london

Londo

LE

Didn't work at the supermarkets a few weeks ago for the cheap Polish beef . It tended to remain unsold .

Oops

War Hero
Didn't work at the supermarkets a few weeks ago for the cheap Polish beef . It tended to remain unsold .
Yup, when it's correctly labelled as
'Polish Mince' it didn't catch the public's imagination..
D'y really think it was thrown away?

There was a Irish fella called Larry Goodman who decided to control the lucrative red meat trade of the British Isles a quarter of a century ago.....

He was an amateur compared to these lads.

Dig as deep as you dare, but one thing's for certain, unless you're a Veggie, you'll have consumed some of their product in the last week, and you won't have a bloody clue what accent it moo'd or oinked in!

4(T)

LE

One would have thought that a useful and popular piece of government legislation post-Brexit would have been to have rigorous and well-defined* "country of origin" labelling on goods and services.

Given issues such as Chinese expansionism and US chlorination of chicken, such legislation would be an easy win-win for everyone.

After that, its down to personal informed choice.

*By "well-defined", the national content of goods could be described as % of value, eg where a device has components of mixed origin, or of mixed added value, or of tax jurisdiction, etc.

Oops

War Hero
One would have thought that a useful and popular piece of government legislation post-Brexit would have been to have rigorous and well-defined* "country of origin" labelling on goods and services.

Given issues such as Chinese expansionism and US chlorination of chicken, such legislation would be an easy win-win for everyone.

After that, its down to personal informed choice.

*By "well-defined", the national content of goods could be described as % of value, eg where a device has components of mixed origin, or of mixed added value, or of tax jurisdiction, etc.
Totally admirable idea.
They'll probably offer the job to the Ex
Head of Quality Control/Provenance at Findus, I shouldn't wonder.
Bit like boss of Track and Trace being run by that (Un)fortunate Lady from Talk Talk.

Latest Threads