Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

You can you really choose whether or not you want to pay for public service broadcasting?
In Germany, every household, whether it wants to or not, has to pay 17.50 euros a month plus what the broadcasters earn for advertising, just over 8 billion every year.
To whom does that money go though? In the UK we pay a 'TV' tax to watch broadcast programmes from all and every broadcaster but the tax, in its entirety, funds only the BBC.

There is a certain bias against the UK in reporting, at least in Germany. I can well imagine that it is not much different in France.
It's like the: The EU did and is doing everything right and the wicked evil Boris and his Brexiteers have forced the UK and its people to leave the EU.
Back then in the good old times one would have called it Propaganda.
Actually I thought the German position was more nuanced to be fair. Of course there is propaganda but nowhere as blatant as the Labour Broadcasting Service.

Tyk

LE
You can you really choose whether or not you want to pay for public service broadcasting?
In Germany, every household, whether it wants to or not, has to pay 17.50 euros a month plus what the broadcasters earn for advertising, just over 8 billion every year.

Literally speaking (and the BBC really hates it) if you do not watch or record any broadcast TV including cable/satellite and only use streaming services and catch-up (other than BBC iPlayer) services then no you don't require a TV licence in the UK.
The entire TV licence fee goes to the BBC for them to spunk up the wall. It's essentially a tax, that the BBC would like to be universal, which currently carries criminal penalties for avoiding if you watch services that require a licence.

Does the tax go to one company only, or does the money go to the government general tax fund
BBC gets all the Dosh here, [a pox on their house]
All payments go to the two major public broadcasters. They even have their own company which collects the payments and has access to the data of the residents' registration offices.

To whom does that money go though? In the UK we pay a 'TV' tax to watch broadcast programmes from all and every broadcaster but the tax, in its entirety, funds only the BBC.
The "tithe" goes to the two public-law companies no matter if you own a Telly or Radio or not.

Actually I thought the German position was more nuanced to be fair. Of course there is propaganda but nowhere as blatant as the Labour Broadcasting Service.
Well the so called "quality media" like Spiegel, Zeit, Süddeutsche Zeitung and the public broadcast TV programmes are EU friendly. You do find the odd opinion piece that is not biased towards the EU's position but in General it is EU=Good, Brexit=Bad, Johnson=Trumps twin, a rabid populist etc.

Well the so called "quality media" like Spiegel, Zeit, Süddeutsche Zeitung and the public broadcast TV programmes are EU friendly. You do find the odd opinion piece that is not biased towards the EU's position but in General it is EU=Good, Brexit=Bad, Johnson=Trumps twin, a rabid populist etc.
Best they rethink quickly. Their car "industry" could go seriously tit s up otherwise.
Not that the loss of BMW\AUDI pointing people would be a loss.
The absolute toss wombles

Best they rethink quickly. Their car "industry" could go seriously tit s up otherwise.
Not that the loss of BMW\AUDI pointing people would be a loss.
The absolute toss wombles
I think a good part of everything that is currently happening in European and German media is fear. Fear that other countries will follow the UK's example. Fear that a disintegration of the EU could lead Europe back to the 30s and 40s of the last century. Everything that has to do with the Brexit is loaded with fear and of course has to do with wounded pride.

There are many forms of democracy and popular alternatives.

What Are The Different Types And Forms Of Democracy? (scienceabc.com)

10 Alternatives To Conventional Liberal Democracy - Listverse

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

The EU is a meritocracy and I rather like the system.

The prosecution rests. The accused, HB, is quite clearly a table leg chewing, finger eating, shit smearing escapee from the laboon academy.

The only benefit gained from its existence is that of the portion of the remain camp still trying to overturn the referendum result being shown up for the anti democratic whiny wishers of ill on their own country that they are.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
A given.

Of course.

A quarter of a century ago I was 2IC at ATR Glencorse (the old R Scots Depot). I used to interview the Sect Comd instructors. With the Weegies I tried to smile and nod in what I thought were the appropriate moments.

Didn't have a clue what they were saying, but very fine fellows, all the same.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A quarter of a century ago I was 2IC at ATR Glencorse (the old R Scots Depot). I used to interview the Sect Comd instructors. With the Weegies I tried to smile and nod in what I thought were the appropriate moments.

Didn't have a clue what they were saying, but very fine fellows, all the same.
Yes, of course you did! How did you answer any questions they raised, or do you not allow questioning of the English Squire of the Manor?

The prosecution rests. The accused, HB, is quite clearly a table leg chewing, finger eating, shit smearing escapee from the laboon academy.

The only benefit gained from its existence is that of the portion of the remain camp still trying to overturn the referendum result being shown up for the anti democratic whiny wishers of ill on their own country that they are.
Nothing wrong with democracy if applied correctly. When propaganda, lies and fools are in abundance it becomes fertile ground for what we have now. A corrupt, incompetent and dangerous collection of misfits destroying everything for nothing.