What now for the EU ?

philc

LE
I think the argument these put forward is the French & the fact we (UK) now work quite well & closely with french intelligence. In terms of military the only two of note are UK & France.

As ever the problem does see to be France.....

The Royal Navy work a fair bit with the Dutch Navy, I think they even come over for their workups with FOST
staff.

So I think we can boil this down rather simply (for @Higgs_bosun's benefit really).

The EU have an overinflated opinion of themselves and, worse, encouraged third tier countries in Europe to think similarly. What probably doesn't help is the second rate politicians sent from the third tier countries, who suddenly start thinking that they are world leaders all of a sudden.

They handled the 'British Question' appallingly badly in 2016.

They've handled everything since with similar ability. They actually believed some hotch potch of 27 mainly minor outlier countries could dictate terms to Britain. They let a French man lead their negotiations with the British.

They're about to realise the folly of their actions and their hubris has led them to the precipice.

Where to go from here?

Treating UK as a sovereign country that has made a democratic decision and setting the scene for future co-operation, just not union, might be a start.

As much as I would like WTO & a FAOD to the EU I suspect an 11th hour deal to be the outcome & as @Auld-Yin has mentioned there will be good & bad bits for both sides.
Personally I'm hoping for a clean break. Anything less will just carry too much baggage.

Four years f*cking about by remainers and the EU has led to this cluster. Clean break, we'll build from there. Probably surprisingly quickly as there will be no wreckage in the way.

Basically arguing the effect on GDP as a result of Covid means both sides are desperate for a deal arguing the Covid hit on top of a no deal hit would be catastrophic.

As I posted yesterday.

The awkward squad of Poland and Hungary have doubled down on their threat to veto the EU Budget.

No budget - Corona debtpiles - No Deal.

I wonder who is desperate for a deal :) :)

One of the MODs will have to ring Broadmoor and inform them that one of their inmates is loose
on the internet
You are the one spending hours trawling through my posts from years gone by and claiming to be a virtual psychiatrist. No problem... just stay away from kids and animals.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
It's ok mate...I'll not report you for sarcasm, insults, off topic ranting or a personal point of view. You know why? Because it makes absolutely no fekin difference at all... I doubt that Barnier or Boris will be looking in here to pick up a few tips.

We can scream hysterically all we want... but only I will get to say, I told you so. :)

I suspect there will be a sizeable queue saying just that.

Of course you do Soupy but you also suspected that:
  • there would be a hung parliament at the last election
  • Theresa May would kill Brexit stone dead and Remain would prevail
  • The Speaker has the autonomous authority to recall Parliament
I suspect that most people look forward to and like your pronouncements on the basis that the opposite to whatever you spout will invariably apply.

I suspect that most people look forward to and like your pronouncements on the basis that the opposite to whatever you spout will invariably apply.

BL should stick to being condescending to OCdts - by all accounts, he's good at that...

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

I reckoned you'd be the first to bite.

WightMivvi

War Hero
Of course the more mentally challenged Continuity Remainers will do the whole “I told you do” thing and milk it for all it’s worth.

If you spend years deluding yourself with the most extreme parody view of Leavers, anything less than us being able to pick 16 year old French virgins at will and having our wicked way with them will be seen as a Brexit betrayal, causing the Continuity Remainers to get all moist as they reach for the keyboard.

In the meantime, life will go on, trade and cooperation with our neighbours will continue, compromises will be made to ensure mutually beneficial outcomes, and we will still be out of the EU for generations.

Of course you did.

He has the distinct whiff of:

1606558202215.png

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
For clarity, that last sentence should read ‘... seem to be the French Government ...’
I'm not so sure that is so. Couple of weeks ago my brother, who has lived in France since 1968 and is now fully frogged up, was adamant that the UK are totally at fault purely for leaving. As he became more and more heated as I pointed out the EU intransigence, the fact that UK waters are in fact UK waters etc etc. In the end he hung up on me!

Not just the French government, the country believes the blame sits wholly with the UK not giving in.

Last edited: