Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Reading another report, Brussels says the 5 billion is an across the board figure to compensate all sectors for post-Brexit losses.
It’s just that Macron seems to be making it all about fish, by demanding the lion’s share to compensate French fishermen.
Correct, the Oirish are also after a chunk of that 5 billion, how else are they going to afford their new and increased improved contribution to Das Projekt the EU

Published by: Joe Barnes, Brussels Correspondent, The EXPRESS, on Wednesday 25 November 2020.

Barnier ORDERS Frost to budge or EU chief will CANCEL crunch Brexit meeting in London.

MICHEL Barnier has threatened to call off Brexit trade talks in London this week unless Boris Johnson caves in on fishing.

The Brussels diplomat has told Lord Frost he will not travel to the capital for another “Groundhog Day” round of talks on post-Brexit fishing rights and common standards, according to EU sources. He wants guarantees that his UK counterpart is prepared to budge before committing to further weekend of negotiations. Mr Barnier was said to have issued the ultimatum after growing frustrated with the lack of progress over the main sticking points.

In online talks, he said his team would only travel to London if they believed a deal was possible by next week.

Both sides were forced to hold negotiations via video link after a coronavirus outbreak in the EU’s team.

But the bloc’s negotiators were expected to return to the Capital to resume face-to-face meetings after a period of self-isolation.

It was said Mr Barnier had grown frustrated after a number of “pointless” discussions in which his UK counterpart had refused to agree to the bloc’s demands.

An EU source said: “The British are frankly laughing at us, time is very short. If nothing moves in London we risk going towards no deal.”

Another insider added the Brussels diplomat had made “no decision” on whether to resume in-person wrangling after talks were halted because of a coronavirus scare.

His warning came as European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen said the wrangling over the EU-UK future relationship could still end in failure.

The European Commission chief said an agreement was far from certain because of the disputes over access to Britain’s coastal waters and common standards, including state aid.

Britain is still refusing to sign up to follow the bloc’s evolving standards and offer European fishermen sufficient guarantees for opportunities, she said.

Mrs von der Leyen said: “These are decisive days for our negotiations with the United Kingdom. But, frankly I cannot tell you today if, in the end, there will be a deal.

“However, there's still three issues that can make the difference between a deal and no deal.

“We will do all in our power to reach an agreement, we're ready to be creative.”

She insisted the EU would have to support a “compromise” at next month’s summit of leaders if they are to get the agreement over the line.

“It is when we managed to join forces that we Europeans can achieve the most. It is when we negotiate hard, and then stick to the compromise found that we move forward fast,” she said.

French President Emmanuel Macron is still holding out for the near-parity access to Britain’s fishing waters.

His hardline stance risks scuppering chances of a Brexit compromise being reached in the coming days.

French MEP Nathalie Loiseau said: “Much progress has been made. But there are still important disagreements, and the UK must move on them.

“In the same way that we are preparing for reciprocal access to our markets, the UK must accept reciprocal access to our waters for our fishermen.”

1606400696325.png

[photo: Michel Barnier is a former French fisheries minister. Image: EXPRESS].

Note: I did NOT know that "Michel Barnier is a former French fisheries minister" !! ;) .

Posted on: the "what-now-for-the-eu" thread; and, the "trade-deals" thread.

Barnier ORDERS Frost to budge or EU chief will CANCEL crunch Brexit meeting in London.
Haha, typical EU lefty - you better do as we say or else we are taking our ball and going home.

I hope Barnier does go away, and doesn't come back. I am quite happy to see the UK leave the EU with no deal, and don't want the government to have anything to do with them.

How many trade deals in history have been made, when someone says "Hi do you want to trade with us?", "If so give up some of your sovereignty!".

No deal, No 39 billion - we shouldn't even be giving them that anyway, with or without a deal they shouldn't get a penny.

Last edited:
Once you’re calmed down and stopped your hissy fit, can you please show you knew what you were voting for in 2016 by letting us know what the EU’s immigration policies are going to look like in ten years time.

As you are probably aware, you are wasting your time expecting an answer. I asked him the same question four years ago, and the closest I got was a dismissive "I don't care, I will be dead by then"

green_slime

Old-Salt
Brexit is a mess because it is a massively complex issue that should never have been put to a referendum. The electorate did not have a clue as to the full implications of their vote, and the government are totally out of their depth as they don’t have anywhere near enough relevant knowledge or understanding...
I wonder if HG could provide a guide as to where the threshold is for people to make decisions? Are parliamentary elections are okay, or should that be left to the inteliigensia of correct thinking people like himself and friends (should any actually exist) in case we make a mistake again?

Once you’re calmed down and stopped your hissy fit, can you please show you knew what you were voting for in 2016 by letting us know what the EU’s immigration policies are going to look like in ten years time.
What looks like an hysterical hissy fit to you is only an observation of current events. I was originally going to vote for brexit until I looked into it a bit deeper. Every single claim by the leave campaign was false or pure paranoia without tangible evidence. This remains completely unchanged, unless you can pull one out that has subsequently transpired to be true...

I have no idea what EU policies on immigration will be in ten years time..

You can tell so many things from a face, intelligence, sincerity, strength, determination, guilt, pressure...etc. A few key figures in this party of liars show exactly why we are heading into a spiral of doom.

French MEP Nathalie Loiseau said: “Much progress has been made. But there are still important disagreements, and the UK must move on them.

In the same way that we are preparing for reciprocal access to our markets, the UK must accept reciprocal access to our waters for our fishermen.

An excerpt from the article...

I think its a fair deal... we get access to the single market and the fFrench get access to their own waters in return.

MEP Nathalie seems to be labouring under the notion that UK waters are actually French waters.

Last edited:

philc

LE
So the EU are seeing the light and may move to a more democratic process of electing the Commission President, not before time allowing the actual voters to select the EU President as opposed to a carve up between parties and countries. This is after the 2019 farce and hopefully will bring further democracy to the EU.

Of course I doubt it will happen by the time of the next EU elections, and if it does and its not the result the EU wants will be kicked in to touch the election after.

The Spitzenkandidaten process is a joke, farce way of doing any thing, another reason to leave.

WightMivvi

War Hero
So the EU are seeing the light and may move to a more democratic process of electing the Commission President, not before time allowing the actual voters to select the EU President as opposed to a carve up between parties and countries. This is after the 2019 farce and hopefully will bring further democracy to the EU.

Of course I doubt it will happen by the time of the next EU elections, and if it does and its not the result the EU wants will be kicked in to touch the election after.

The Spitzenkandidaten process is a joke, farce way of doing any thing, another reason to leave.

These are (to me) logical and obvious “next steps”. An elected president and pan-European political parties are sensible ideas.

It does create a few new problems.

There will be an inevitable clash over legitimacy between an elected president and elected national politicians clash. It’s one of the reasons we don’t have an elected House of Lords.

National political parties will have to demote themselves and give way to pan-European political parties.

Lots of legal challenges over the correct split of powers between national and federal governments (look at the growing pains of the US federal government).

philc

LE
These are (to me) logical and obvious “next steps”. An elected president and pan-European political parties are sensible ideas.

It does create a few new problems.

There will be an inevitable clash over legitimacy between an elected president and elected national politicians clash. It’s one of the reasons we don’t have an elected House of Lords.

National political parties will have to demote themselves and give way to pan-European political parties.

Lots of legal challenges over the correct split of powers between national and federal governments (look at the growing pains of the US federal government).

The next question is, what use is a President, just have an elected house of representatives, the group with the largest set of elected representatives is the majority and the leader of the majority group is President if you want to use that word.

Simple, elegant and works, most times.

WightMivvi

War Hero
The next question is, what use is a President, just have an elected house of representatives, the group with the largest set of elected representatives is the majority and the leader of the majority group is President if you want to use that word.

Simple, elegant and works, most times.
Oh no - that’s a terrible idea; it’s far too British and, ergo, un-European.

It’s far better to create an additional layer that then creates grey areas that can be exploited by using the courts (rather than the legislature) to appropriate more and more powers.

Latest Threads