Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Oh, I’m not complaining. The priorities for every government should include getting an advantage for their own people and industries.

Reminding the UK government that France has the power to clog up Kent could convince the UK government to give way a bit more. It makes sense.

Of course, it could backfire by convincing the UK to bypass French routes.
I'm presuming post covid that Calais is no longer going to be on the booze trouse route?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

Failure to get Brexit trade deal would wipe extra 2% off UK output: OBR​

The independent body had already forecast Brexit would cost Britain 4% of GDP in the long run even if Britain secures a free trade agreement with the EU, compared to it staying in the bloc.

It looks to me like the EU are actually going for a no deal. The UK is in no position to negotiate and the only sensible thing to do is to beg forgiveness and ask to remain in the union. But that will not happen.

View attachment 523725

The independent body had already forecast Brexit would cost Britain 4% of GDP in the long run even if Britain secures a free trade agreement with the EU, compared to it staying in the bloc.

It looks to me like the EU are actually going for a no deal. The UK is in no position to negotiate and the only sensible thing to do is to beg forgiveness and ask to remain in the union. But that will not happen.

View attachment 523725
Have you written to Lord Frost outlining your concerns? You never know, he and his team may not be seeing the armageddon that you see.

You could yet save us from our certain doom and best of all for you is that Lord Frost probably wouldn't think you are the wibbling loony that most of Arrse think you are.

View attachment 523725
Shit-faced again, are we?

I wonder if the EU will ask for an extension at the last moment
I think that’s exactly what will happen - may even be what the EU wants to happen. My assumption is both sides think there is going to be no deal (and I’d lay the blame for that solely on the EU), and each side is going to try to make it look like they’ve done all they possibly could and it’s the other who is to blame.

Just as well because the actual Port Manager, back then, also calculated that 1 extra minute checking each lorry would cause a 42 kms tailback from the port.
Somehow I think a deal sorting this side of things will be forthcoming.

And always was.
I’m still puzzled where us guaranteeing CT would cause the French a problem. Mind they’ve always been good at creating problems where none exist. Since COW is computerised,exactly where a minute per lorry comes from Is unclear bearing in mind all goods and vehicles are manifested. It is basically a removal procedure which flags if the exit destination is not reached.
For the uninitiated, CT means we do not interfere goods transiting for another MS unless we have suspicion that something untoward is happening. Now as I said much earlier, there is a level of trust in that, the maintainance of CT procedures is that trust. What he means is he doesn’t have park for disembarkation to match his embarks park, but I’m sure if the dusted off the approvals for the port, they should have.

They undoubtedly will. The question you should be asking is, will BOJO grant it?
I'm not popping the champagne until 1 minute past midnight on 01 Jan 2021.
Me tae. I couldn't believe it when the result was announced on 24 june 2016. All the crap that was going to happen if we even voted to leave, our money spent for one side of the argument but sweet FA for the opposite view, the shenanigans that's gone on since, totally mind boggling. Yet some people still don't get it. Should we not carry out the decision on that momentous day, democracy is dead in this country. Whatever way some try to dress it up, our vote no longer means anything. We may no longer be tugging the forelock to the lord of the manor, but we've taken a step in that direction.

The irony is that all those squealing against it, the 2016 result, can't see that they too could be treated with the same contempt. Should the EU take a course in the future, wherein the now Remainers disagree with, and rebel against the EU who ignore them, what then?

The EU starting to throw their teddies out of the pram :)

I think they ran out of teddies some time ago - they are now having a whip-round of the other 27 to get some more teddy-ammo.

BTW - What is the French for "F**k off you silly little man" - it needs to be writ large on our white cliffs.

View attachment 523725

Stop wetting your knickers, Higgsy.

Get some context, mate.

WightMivvi

War Hero
I'm presuming post covid that Calais is no longer going to be on the booze trouse route?
Le Havre might work. I can’t remember too much about my team “Merchant Navy Acquaint”, but we did drink the ferry’s entire supply of Newcastle Brown Ale, and I came home with a giant holdall full of rocket fuel.

Can they not just leave their trailers at the port, to be collected by a driver who doesn't cruise along watching dvds cooking a bacon sandwich?

Yes they can and its not uncommon

However I suspect the massive investment in the UK in multi-modal transport hubs will be more of the way of the future. That would bypass the ferry port issue pretty much altogether. They are steadily expanding in capacity and in more locations.
Combined sea, rail and road container movement will probably increase and its the logical answer in many instances

Le Havre might work. I can’t remember too much about my team “Merchant Navy Acquaint”, but we did drink the ferry’s entire supply of Newcastle Brown Ale, and I came home with a giant holdall full of rocket fuel.

If I recall correctly (and I maynot be) Le Havre has some oddball rule about ferries only being allowed in to the dock in daylight hours. Something to do with ferry traffic not transitting through the city at night

I believe that rules out any traffic increase through Le Havre.

Caveat being I might be wrong/mis-remembering

Last edited:
If I recall correctly (and I maynot be) Le HAvre has some oddball rule about ferries only being allowed in to the dock in daylight hours. Something to do with ferry traffic not transitting through the city at night

I believe that rules out any traffic increase through Le Havre.

Caveat being I might be wrong/mis-remembering
Certainly in December last year, the ferry ex-Soton dawdled a tad on the crossing and we docked at sunrise.
Unlike Calais and Dunkerque, at Le Havre, there is no direct link off the ferry to an autoroute: there’s a bit of built-up area to drive through first.
From memory, it’s the same at ports further west, too.

Have you written to Lord Frost outlining your concerns? You never know, he and his team may not be seeing the armageddon that you see.

You could yet save us from our certain doom and best of all for you is that Lord Frost probably wouldn't think you are the wibbling loony that most of Arrse think you are.
I don't usually write to gay men unless they ask for a punch-up. Frost has already expressed his pessimism but is smiling his way to the bank as each week drags on.

In a largely forgotten column written just after Britain voted to leave in 2016, Lord Frost revealed his vision for the future negotiations with Brussels and much to the horror of hardcore Brexiteers, he did not rule out rejoining the EU after the transition period.

EU Commission president Ursula von der Leyen says the bloc is prepared for the UK to leave without a trade deal.

“With very little time ahead of us, we will do all in our power to reach an agreement. We are ready to be creative."

“But we are not ready to put into question the integrity of our single market,”

"We didn't start this fekin mess anyway" she said.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
EU Commission president Ursula von der Leyen says the bloc is prepared for the UK to leave without a trade deal.

“With very little time ahead of us, we will do all in our power to reach an agreement. We are ready to be creative."

“But we are not ready to put into question the integrity of our single market,”

"We didn't start this fekin mess anyway" she said.
Why mess? There is no mess. What they have not understood is we don’t need a deal. We’re offering them a deal in their interest.

Latest Threads