Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

You're right, they just under estimated the lorry loads of Remainers trying to get into the EU before midnight of 31/12/20 when they decided to try out the new Customs check system.
The only thing that matters now is that we get all the twigs we need to fill our houses imported before the entire transport industry changes from trucking to dogging.

Will doggers still buy Yorkie bars or will they be yet another casualty of Brexit?

Right! ..Well that's it! £395 bn and nothing but insults... Therefore I will not be lending this bunch of misfits in government another penny! Period....
Wow, I can hear the entire government side of the HoC weeping and wailing about that already. It's deafening.

(you wasn’t quite fast enough on the ‘delete this wibble' button that time eh Higgsy?)

Not at all.
The problem was caused by French Customs and Immigration controls at Folkestone testing their post-Brexit system and methods.
Apparently it was taking just over a minute per vehicle, and the French realised they did not have enough people to conduct the checks.
It was a trial and, obviously, lessons will have been learned.
Of course, I was replying to HTB though.

Of course lessons will be learned. That's why we, and they, have tests.

Taking it at face value, the French were trilling their new system but only at 50% of the capability being used.

The rest of the world would have trialled it with greater resources but we are talking about the French and a 50% effort is about normal.

We all know the French can bring cross Channel traffic to a grinding halt and it isn't uncommon for them to do so.
I'm not really convinced this is much of an issue.
I don't know, no idea how well we'll do with the same kind of tests. Hopefully better.

oldbaldy

LE
I could, but doubt I will have time to do the calculations before the weekend to be honest.
It doesn't really effect my work so haven't looked at it in any detail.

As in previous discussions it would be the Irish economy that would be crippled first.
The relative cost increases for running vehicles in to Belgium or even the Netherlands are much less than the penalty of having to do Cork to Rosslare (for the Irish)

Assuming Zeebrugge or Ostend the time and cost penalties aren't that severe. Probably looking at 4-5 hour time penalty and a couple of hundred quid in costs (plucked from the air numbers)

View attachment 523623

Running across the Channel to France is the shortest most practical route and the cheapest depending on your end destination but there are alternatives.
Making it more expensive and difficult hurts the Paddies and the EU more than it hurts the UK (but it does hurt the UK)
Everyone knows it. I would like to think the EU isn't goingto hang the Irish out to dry on this though
As well as those routes DFDS run Rotterdam Felixstowe. I forsee the Belgians & Dutch doing very well at the expense of French.

Not at all.
The problem was caused by French Customs and Immigration controls at Folkestone testing their post-Brexit system and methods.
Apparently it was taking just over a minute per vehicle, and the French realised they did not have enough people to conduct the checks.
It was a trial and, obviously, lessons will have been learned.

Just as well because the actual Port Manager, back then, also calculated that 1 extra minute checking each lorry would cause a 42 kms tailback from the port.
Somehow I think a deal sorting this side of things will be forthcoming.

And always was.

Tire une balle dans pied?
While that is (almost) a literal translation, as far as I am aware, the French don’t use the saying with the same sense.
Certainly people would understand the words, but the sense would be lost.
It would be put down either as a throwback to life in the trenches, or as a quaint phrase in that well-known French dialect ‘Le O Level Français’.

Wow, I can hear the entire government side of the HoC weeping and wailing about that already. It's deafening.

(you wasn’t quite fast enough on the ‘delete this wibble' button that time eh Higgsy?)
Ha ha... I deleted nothing mate. A moderator must have found some levity on this endless conveyor belt of infantile bile and hatred too much to bear. Stranger things have happened.

Ha ha... I deleted nothing mate. A moderator must have found some levity on this endless conveyor belt of infantile bile and hatred too much to bear. Stranger things have happened.
You know, looking at the deleted post again...

Right! ..Well that's it! £395 bn and nothing but insults... Therefore I will not be lending this bunch of misfits in government another penny! Period....

I really struggle to see why a moderator would have felt it needed deleting. No doubt that mod will explain why (or at least confirm that) they deleted it almost at the very instant you posted it... ?

The only sensible way forward is to disband the EU and all the members states join the British empire.
You had 11 people here getting excited at that fantasy... very cruel! You should have warned them that it was only a joke!

You know, looking at the deleted post again...

I really struggle to see why a moderator would have felt it needed deleting. No doubt that mod will explain why (or at least confirm that) they deleted it almost at the very instant you posted it... ?

I never delete my stuff...

Dear oh dear...Evidence in full that a brexiteer does not have a clue about the implications of brexit and the governments plans to break international law.

Just to add that covid19 is the best thing that has ever happened to the buffoon in office... Now it is clear that the UK economy will sink below levels not seen for 300 years, the debate will be to prove that brexit had nothing to do with it.

Like a dead man's testimony... he simply does not care.

Attachments

• A463D285-D4C1-4486-BE02-B86368D81A81.jpeg
    A463D285-D4C1-4486-BE02-B86368D81A81.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 14

Latest Threads