Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Already posted 200 odd pages ago, but this is the stark alternative reality for the Paddies and goods vehicles from Rosslare.

To Roscoff 17 hours, St Nazaire 21 hours, Cherbourg 18hours, Dieppe 26 hours, Le Havre 23 hours and for any produce heading for northern Europe it will be 34 hours on the boat to Zeebrugge or 36 to Rotterdam.

Or you could just do 9 hours from there to Bristol instead, say 5 or 6 driving to Dover then the ferry and be in Calais 15 or 16 hours later max, as against the timings above.

(No dogging on the boats though)

I could, but doubt I will have time to do the calculations before the weekend to be honest.
It doesn't really effect my work so haven't looked at it in any detail.

As in previous discussions it would be the Irish economy that would be crippled first.
The relative cost increases for running vehicles in to Belgium or even the Netherlands are much less than the penalty of having to do Cork to Rosslare (for the Irish)

Assuming Zeebrugge or Ostend the time and cost penalties aren't that severe. Probably looking at 4-5 hour time penalty and a couple of hundred quid in costs (plucked from the air numbers)

View attachment 523623

Running across the Channel to France is the shortest most practical route and the cheapest depending on your end destination but there are alternatives.
Making it more expensive and difficult hurts the Paddies and the EU more than it hurts the UK (but it does hurt the UK)
Everyone knows it. I would like to think the EU isn't goingto hang the Irish out to dry on this though

Dont forget the truly massive investment in the Thames ports and the infrastructure to go with them. Now they are ramping up, Dover, no ability to expand, almost no infrastructure support, will quickly decline in importance.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Some very grumpy people on the thread today. It's understandable as the wheels fall off the Brexit fantasies.

I think I will prefer the word of the head honcho of the Douanes at Calais to a former wearer of light blue crimplene.
Especially the bit about 90% of freight going through his port being pre-cleared before it arrives there, and that was what he said last year long before this round of negotiations.
Local paper for Calais leads with this story on it:-

Forget the paywall for the article, but do watch the pop-up video bottom right to see the tailbacks on the motorway well away from Calais.

Note especially that nobody was dogging at all, even in tailbacks that long.
Yeah, I invented all of the lorries queued on the M20

Those queues of lorries that have been forming there every year since forever each time the French decide to go on strike and/or blockade Calais? Those queues?

This time last year we encountered the French version of Op Stack while driving to Calais, in the lead up to the last péage on the Autoroute des Anglais before Calais.
That, too, was a system test.
To be fair the Gendarmerie Routière kept the car traffic flowing well, albeit at 50km/h.

ETA: For today’s bit of name dropping, the Chef des Douanes, Calais/Pas de Calais, is a hell of a nice bloke and extremely professional.
I had occasions to deal with him a few years’ ago ref checks on cross-channel ‘white van’ trafficking of contraband/counterfeit tobacco products.
I’d certainly take his word as to la situation actuelle.
Last time I drove through France was 24 or 25 years ago, we got the full "nanananananananana" and duly assumed the postition in the drive up to the docks parking at Calais. Think they were looking for drugs, some of my work colleagues were a bit hooky to put it mildly.

The strongest substance in the car was a few rounds of Petit Munster I had stashed in my case. Which had said digy feckers threatenign to lam eachother for havign stinking feet on the drive back up to Scotland.

Truxx

LE
I think I will prefer the word of the head honcho of the Douanes at Calais to a former wearer of light blue crimplene.
Especially the bit about 90% of freight going through his port being pre-cleared before it arrives there, and that was what he said last year long before this round of negotiations.
Local paper for Calais leads with this story on it:-

Forget the paywall for the article, but do watch the pop-up video bottom right to see the tailbacks on the motorway well away from Calais.

Note especially that nobody was dogging at all, even in tailbacks that long.
What is the french verb meaning "to shoot oneself in the foot"

I could, but doubt I will have time to do the calculations before the weekend to be honest.
It doesn't really effect my work so haven't looked at it in any detail.

As in previous discussions it would be the Irish economy that would be crippled first.
The relative cost increases for running vehicles in to Belgium or even the Netherlands are much less than the penalty of having to do Cork to Rosslare (for the Irish)

Assuming Zeebrugge or Ostend the time and cost penalties aren't that severe. Probably looking at 4-5 hour time penalty and a couple of hundred quid in costs (plucked from the air numbers)

View attachment 523623

Running across the Channel to France is the shortest most practical route and the cheapest depending on your end destination but there are alternatives.
Making it more expensive and difficult hurts the Paddies and the EU more than it hurts the UK (but it does hurt the UK)
Everyone knows it. I would like to think the EU isn't goingto hang the Irish out to dry on this though
Ta v much

It is worth investigating the underlying narrative and motivations involved in that democratic vote... lies, propaganda and paranoia. Not a great form of democracy.

In 2016 we saw through the Remain lies; the 850k unemployed within two years of the referendum. Employment actually increased, not decreased. The emergency budget, the 'EU army is a dangerous fantasy', a hard border would be required if there was a no-deal Brexit, and probably many others that don't spring to mind.

Yet we still voted to leave.

And again in 2019, giving the Tories a massive majority.

Not at all.
The problem was caused by French Customs and Immigration controls at Folkestone testing their post-Brexit system and methods.
Apparently it was taking just over a minute per vehicle, and the French realised they did not have enough people to conduct the checks.
It was a trial and, obviously, lessons will have been learned.

WightMivvi

Old-Salt
Some very grumpy people on the thread today. It's understandable as the wheels fall off the Brexit fantasies.
I haven’t seen anything particularly grumpy today. We’ve touched on history, possible drivers of the European dream, logistics, and power and information.

It looks to me that you’re trying to build a narrative that doesn’t exist in the hope of making a point that isn’t there.

Those queues of lorries that have been forming there every year since forever each time the French decide to go on strike and/or blockade Calais? Those queues?
Yea but they weren't on strike or blockading. HTH

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
You're right, they just under estimated the lorry loads of Remainers trying to get into the EU before midnight of 31/12/20 when they decided to try out the new Customs check system.

Taking it at face value, the French were trilling their new system but only at 50% of the capability being used.

The rest of the world would have trialled it with greater resources but we are talking about the French and a 50% effort is about normal.

We all know the French can bring cross Channel traffic to a grinding halt and it isn't uncommon for them to do so.
I'm not really convinced this is much of an issue.

Latest Threads