Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

No, I never said that. We are leaving because we had a democratic vote.

However, the off shoot of that is the UK's standards are higher, in this particular requirement*, than the EU's. The EU's response was to whine, instead of protecting its population by raising its standards to meet the UK's more stringent requirements.
I think there was talk of a legal challenge.

*And I suspect many more requirements!
You have read the decision?

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32020D0758&from=EN

These kind of rulings are fairly trivial for the most part and are often appealed.

I posted this in the Boris thread last night.
It was in reply to a Graculus post, but it seems as if either he hasn’t seen it, or he has ignored it:

Graculus said:
”Eurotunnel queues cause chaos for drivers on the M20 near Folkestone - updates”

I wrote:
Meanwhile, at the French end ...

Brexit : Eurotunnel lance l’Eurotunnel Border Pass - FranceRoutes
Site d'actualité destiné aux chauffeurs routiers, artisans et passionnés du camion
www.franceroutes.fr www.franceroutes.fr

It’s in French, but for those unversed in la langue de Molière, it basically states that a new border-pass system was initiated in France today, aimed at cutting border controls and delays for, in this case, freight vehicles using the tunnel from France to the UK post Brexit.

ETA: I would be very surprised if the same, or similar, system won’t be used in the opposite direction.
ETFA: And ditto for the ferries in both directions.
I don't generally ignore stuff, I just don't see it for th emost part. I skip pages, "follow" no threads and so on. No shocks there with system, they still need to test stuff though.

But, but, but... trivial? But... but... but... judiciary... democracy... separation of powers.

Way to go, bombhead, way to go.
Stop repeating yourself, it makes you look creepier. Bombhead shagged your Mrs?

I posted this in the Boris thread last night.
It was in reply to a Graculus post, but it seems as if either he hasn’t seen it, or he has ignored it:

I think I will prefer the word of the head honcho of the Douanes at Calais to a former wearer of light blue crimplene.
Especially the bit about 90% of freight going through his port being pre-cleared before it arrives there, and that was what he said last year long before this round of negotiations.
Local paper for Calais leads with this story on it:-

Forget the paywall for the article, but do watch the pop-up video bottom right to see the tailbacks on the motorway well away from Calais.

Note especially that nobody was dogging at all, even in tailbacks that long.

I think I will prefer the word of the head honcho of the Douanes at Calais to a former wearer of light blue crimplene.
Especially the bit about 90% of freight going through his port being pre-cleared before it arrives there, and that was what he said last year long before this round of negotiations.
Local paper for Calais leads with this story on it:-

Forget the paywall for the article, but do watch the pop-up video bottom right to see the tailbacks on the motorway well away from Calais.

Note especially that nobody was dogging at all, even in tailbacks that long.
This time last year we encountered the French version of Op Stack while driving to Calais, in the lead up to the last péage on the Autoroute des Anglais before Calais.
That, too, was a system test.
To be fair the Gendarmerie Routière kept the car traffic flowing well, albeit at 50km/h.

ETA: For today’s bit of name dropping, the Chef des Douanes, Calais/Pas de Calais, is a hell of a nice bloke and extremely professional.
I had occasions to deal with him a few years’ ago ref checks on cross-channel ‘white van’ trafficking of contraband/counterfeit tobacco products.
I’d certainly take his word as to la situation actuelle.

Last edited:
Joe Biden has fired a Brexit warning shot at Boris Johnson and stressed the importance of keeping the Irish border open as the end of the transition period looms. Excellent!

The FOI Clearing House, an "Orwellian" operation within Michael Gove's Cabinet Office, shares personal information about journalists and researchers and has been accused of "blacklisting" people making freedom of information requests. Obviously.
Biden is currently baling for his life with a disconnected US, he’s a throwback to Joseph Kennedy and he’s telling us how to run this country. Orwellian indeed. Funny that he’s more interested in us than dealing with a threat on his own doorstep Namely China.

Oh, I’m not complaining. The priorities for every government should include getting an advantage for their own people and industries.

Reminding the UK government that France has the power to clog up Kent could convince the UK government to give way a bit more. It makes sense.

Of course, it could backfire by convincing the UK to bypass French routes.
It's perfectly sensible Testing IMO. I can't see the froggies stepping too far out of line with the EU, who are the people we'r enegoiatiating with.

I'm sure one of our truckers could give us the ferry costs and lost time in taking alternative routes.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Biden is currently baling for his life with a disconnected US, he’s a throwback to Joseph Kennedy and he’s telling us how to run this country. Orwellian indeed. Funny that he’s more interested in us than dealing with a threat on his own doorstep Namely China.
I agreed with everything I heard him say. There shouldn’t be a border or restrictions between the Province and the Republic. As far as I’m aware that’s always been UK government policy. It’s the EU that’s threatening the border. Paddy O’Bidden needs to use his influence to persuade the EU to stop using the Irish as human shields.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I agreed with everything I heard him say. There shouldn’t be a border or restrictions between the Province and the Republic. As far as I’m aware that’s always been UK government policy. It’s the EU that’s threatening the border. Paddy O’Bidden needs to use his influence to persuade the EU to stop using the Irish as human shields.
What about the requirements of the WTO and having 'proper' borders which has been alleged in various parts of the media plus mention on this very thread from time to time? I have no knowledge if this is a requirement of the WTO but would be happy to hear from anyone with an insight to this area.

Who is threatening to close the border between Ireland and the UK? Because it certainly isn't the UK.
Dear oh dear...Evidence in full that a brexiteer does not have a clue about the implications of brexit and the governments plans to break international law.

Just to add that covid19 is the best thing that has ever happened to the buffoon in office... Now it is clear that the UK economy will sink below levels not seen for 300 years, the debate will be to prove that brexit had nothing to do with it.

Like a dead man's testimony... he simply does not care.

Wow. That’s weak even by your standards.

I’m not sure what the link between Himmler and the realities of the new Information Age are, but I’ll accept that you’re a lot closer to Himmler’s thinking than I am.
Remember you said: "We have entered a new age where knowledge (and power) is no longer embargoed by the great and the good, and political structures are going to have to adapt or die."

The great and the good can go to hell!....There is something quite islamic about that!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What about the requirements of the WTO and having 'proper' borders which has been alleged in various parts of the media plus mention on this very thread from time to time? I have no knowledge if this is a requirement of the WTO but would be happy to hear from anyone with an insight to this area.
Unless there are other bilateral arrangements. It’s the EU that doesn’t want to make a bilateral arrangement. The UK has offered the EU a very good deal for the the citizens of Europe and the UK.

WightMivvi

Old-Salt
Remember you said: "We have entered a new age where knowledge (and power) is no longer embargoed by the great and the good, and political structures are going to have to adapt or die."

The great and the good can go to hell!....There is something quite islamic about that
Only in your twisted imagination.

Them straws - keep clutching.

It's perfectly sensible Testing IMO. I can't see the froggies stepping too far out of line with the EU, who are the people we'r enegoiatiating with.

I'm sure one of our truckers could give us the ferry costs and lost time in taking alternative routes

I could, but doubt I will have time to do the calculations before the weekend to be honest.
It doesn't really effect my work so haven't looked at it in any detail.

As in previous discussions it would be the Irish economy that would be crippled first.
The relative cost increases for running vehicles in to Belgium or even the Netherlands are much less than the penalty of having to do Cork to Rosslare (for the Irish)

Assuming Zeebrugge or Ostend the time and cost penalties aren't that severe. Probably looking at 4-5 hour time penalty and a couple of hundred quid in costs (plucked from the air numbers)

1606319062153.png

Running across the Channel to France is the shortest most practical route and the cheapest depending on your end destination but there are alternatives.
Making it more expensive and difficult hurts the Paddies and the EU more than it hurts the UK (but it does hurt the UK)
Everyone knows it. I would like to think the EU isn't goingto hang the Irish out to dry on this though

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads