Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

No, I never said that. We are leaving because we had a democratic vote.

However, the off shoot of that is the UK's standards are higher, in this particular requirement*, than the EU's. The EU's response was to whine, instead of protecting its population by raising its standards to meet the UK's more stringent requirements.
I think there was talk of a legal challenge.

*And I suspect many more requirements!
It is worth investigating the underlying narrative and motivations involved in that democratic vote... lies, propaganda and paranoia. Not a great form of democracy.

Anyway...can you point me towards that story about EU "whining" because UK requirements were too tough?

It is, tailbacks currently outside Calais to access the port.
If there are queues at Dover there will be corresponding queues at Calais, there are only so many places on a boat.
They aren't going to be queueing on boats at sea are they?
I posted this in the Boris thread last night.
It was in reply to a Graculus post, but it seems as if either he hasn’t seen it, or he has ignored it:

Graculus said:
”Eurotunnel queues cause chaos for drivers on the M20 near Folkestone - updates”

I wrote:
Meanwhile, at the French end ...

Brexit : Eurotunnel lance l’Eurotunnel Border Pass - FranceRoutes
Site d'actualité destiné aux chauffeurs routiers, artisans et passionnés du camion
www.franceroutes.fr www.franceroutes.fr

It’s in French, but for those unversed in la langue de Molière, it basically states that a new border-pass system was initiated in France today, aimed at cutting border controls and delays for, in this case, freight vehicles using the tunnel from France to the UK post Brexit.

ETA: I would be very surprised if the same, or similar, system won’t be used in the opposite direction.
ETFA: And ditto for the ferries in both directions.

Last edited:
The Irish HGV drivers using the landbridge will be stuck in the queue too. The Irish will soon be up-in-arms at the French.
Joe Biden has fired a Brexit warning shot at Boris Johnson and stressed the importance of keeping the Irish border open as the end of the transition period looms. Excellent!

The FOI Clearing House, an "Orwellian" operation within Michael Gove's Cabinet Office, shares personal information about journalists and researchers and has been accused of "blacklisting" people making freedom of information requests. Obviously.

green_slime

Old-Salt
who ever stated that the border would be closed?

I seem to recall the Irish recently mentioned putting in infrastructure but certainly not the uk side. Not that I am averse to bricking the place in. Now who do we know is recently unemployed as likes walls?

The problem for the self-important is that we are now in an interconnected world. BL may feel he is important but, without services such as DMICP, JPA and TAFMIS and email, he would be effectively useless. Therefore, at times, the lowly engineer who can plug a cable into the right slot in the network switch is far more important.

As is the MOD guy with the good relationship with the contracted engineers who will go off contract to flip a switch as a favour. ;)

It’s like the guy sweeping the floors at NASA who is instrumental in launching the moon shot.

Getting back to the future of the EU (and domestic politics), this interconnection leads to greater awareness of where power really lies (it’s never at the top). Modern western politics needs to realise that the old paradigm where those in charge know best is no longer valid. People are more sophisticated (for want of a better word) and are starting to realise they are in charge. This means politicians need to put in much more effort and create better arguments to support their aims.

Remain failed to do this: it relied on the “we are better than you, do now to us” approach, backed up with insults and threats. The EU is still taking the same attitude.

We have entered a new age where knowledge (and power) is no longer embargoed by the great and the good, and political structures are going to have to adapt or die.

The Chinese are trying to restrict access to information, the UK establishment is (I think) starting to wake up to the new reality (the “red wall” has helped), but I think the EU wants to put its fingers in its ears and go “la la la”.

It’s going to be painful for politicians everywhere. I suspect the end results will be repression, paternalism, or increased direct democracy .
You are Himmler and I claim my five quid.

Silence the dissenters and slaughter the enemy...even if they appear to be friends.

It is worth investigating the underlying narrative and motivations involved in that democratic vote... lies, propaganda and paranoia. Not a great form of democracy.

Anyway...can you point me towards that story about EU "whining" because UK requirements were too tough?

you make Trump seem sound of mind.

WightMivvi

War Hero
You are Himmler and I claim my five quid.

Silence the dissenters and slaughter the enemy...even if they appear to be friends.
Wow. That’s weak even by your standards.

I’m not sure what the link between Himmler and the realities of the new Information Age are, but I’ll accept that you’re a lot closer to Himmler’s thinking than I am.

who ever stated that the border would be closed?

I seem to recall the Irish recently mentioned putting in infrastructure but certainly not the uk side. Not that I am averse to bricking the place in. Now who do we know is recently unemployed as likes walls?

it was ever thus.

it was Ireland who put up border posts in the 30’s when it started a trade war with Britain.

Joe Biden has fired a Brexit warning shot at Boris Johnson and stressed the importance of keeping the Irish border open as the end of the transition period looms. Excellent!

The FOI Clearing House, an "Orwellian" operation within Michael Gove's Cabinet Office, shares personal information about journalists and researchers and has been accused of "blacklisting" people making freedom of information requests. Obviously.
Who is threatening to close the border between Ireland and the UK? Because it certainly isn't the UK.

Since when was the M4, M25 and M20 part of the Irish border? Your lack of knowledge of British geography really shows through here.

Boris and the UK Govt have said the same.
The only people agitating for a border are the EC.
Good on Biden for backing the UK Govt against Brussels.
The chances are, though, he and the Pelosi woman seem to be unaware they are doing so.

The French are “testing” border controls.

It is just serendipity for them that the “test” just happens to coincide with a critical moment in the Brexit negotiations where, amongst other thing, border delays will be a consideration.
When would expect them to test? They'll be doing more, as we should.

WightMivvi

War Hero
Since when was the M4, M25 and M20 part of the Irish border? Your lack of knowledge of British geography really shows through here.
Maybe it’s a variation of the Barnier “you can keep the water, but the fish are ours” thinking?

We can keep the land but the roads belong to the EU?

Maybe they can try it with other neighbours?

Hey Norway, you can keep the fjords but the hydroelectricity belongs to us.

Hey Turkey, you can keep the Bosporus, but your disdain for democracy is now ours.

Hey Russia, you can keep the gas supply lines and what’s in them, but our arrse belongs to you.

Oh...

WightMivvi

War Hero
When would expect them to test? They'll be doing more, as we should.
Oh, I’m not complaining. The priorities for every government should include getting an advantage for their own people and industries.

Reminding the UK government that France has the power to clog up Kent could convince the UK government to give way a bit more. It makes sense.

Of course, it could backfire by convincing the UK to bypass French routes.

Oh, I’m not complaining. The priorities for every government should include getting an advantage for their own people and industries.

Reminding the UK government that France has the power to clog up Kent could convince the UK government to give way a bit more. It makes sense.

Of course, it could backfire by convincing the UK to bypass French routes.

Which is what we are actively planning to do and both the Dutch and the Belgians are more than happy to encourage us.

It's four days and he wouldn't survive; a couple of the LE contingent, who are not noted for their long fuses, would comprehensively fill him in.
We can have a crowdfunding gig, how much would you need to take the tedious old duffer & "lose" him permanently in Das Reich?

Latest Threads