Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

HCL

LE
The French are “testing” border controls.

It is just serendipity for them that the “test” just happens to coincide with a critical moment in the Brexit negotiations where, amongst other thing, border delays will be a consideration.

Perhaps all our wokkas need some urgent tlc and are recalled back from helping maintain the French Empire?
Sadly, the only with the "balls" to do that is cab sec for the wrong dept.

Wasn't there a news story a few weeks back about the EU complaining British standards which were about to be implemented were too stringent?
Help me out with that... Are you implying that we are leaving the EU because their laws are too weak?

Nah, if their hammer-wielding fifth columnists are anything to go by, I’ve got nothing to worry about...

The church invested 500 years of effort into the Roman Empire; the structure, the authority, the bureaucracy, the tribes. And then a load of hairy-arrsed Germans ruined it all.

As it’s easier to control a single-entity than multiple entities, the church set about trying to reunify the resulting mishmash. The nearest it got was the Holy Roman Empire.

That is where the “idea” of a single Europe comes from: a wish for control and uniformity, to make everything neat and tidy, where everyone knows their place, for the glory of a supreme being.

It doesn’t worry or scare me; it’s just a bit too elitist for me.

But if you want to support what started as a catholic project to boost the power of the mumbo-jumbo wranglers, crack on.
Dream of Rome covers this, by one Boris Johnson Esq - a very good read, which I used to windup the landlord of the B&B I was staying in whilst working in Brussels - He was a Europarliament Senior CS who was one of the first Brits to go out there.

Last edited:
Help me out with that... Are you implying that we are leaving the EU because their laws are too weak?

No, I never said that. We are leaving because we had a democratic vote.

However, the off shoot of that is the UK's standards are higher, in this particular requirement*, than the EU's. The EU's response was to whine, instead of protecting its population by raising its standards to meet the UK's more stringent requirements.
I think there was talk of a legal challenge.

*And I suspect many more requirements!

well now you mention laws...

We have a presumption of innocence, the EUrines require you to prove your innocence to a troika of examining magistrates - ‘wheel the guilty b******** in and we’ll find him guilty’

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
That and the tedious ‘me,me,me' soup server dribbling on about 1970's Russian tanks sort of kills any interest in the thread.

Then stop posting.

PS. I don't serve soup, nor any other food or drink. There's a good chap.

That and the tedious ‘me,me,me' soup server dribbling on about 1970's Russian tanks sort of kills any interest in the thread.

If the soup server was less of a tedious bore, I might well have been able to steer him towards a gig supporting a staff ride next year, where his knowledge of Russian armour would have been of use. Sadly, I can't be arrsed, because none of us who are meant to be going would wish to listen to him wittering on about (a) how pivotal he is to the running of RMAS and (b) how he is right about Brexit and everyone else is wrong. It might just ruin a summertime Friday and Saturday evening smashing back Herfy with your mates in the Fatherland.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
If the soup server was less of a tedious bore, I might well have been able to steer him towards a gig supporting a staff ride next year, where his knowledge of Russian armour would have been of use. Sadly, I can't be arrsed, because none of us who are meant to be going would wish to listen to him wittering on about (a) how pivotal he is to the running of RMAS and (b) how he is right about Brexit and everyone else is wrong. It might just ruin a summertime Friday and Saturday evening smashing back Herfy with your mates in the Fatherland.

A lucky escape for me.

I wouldn't describe my role as pivotal but it is of importance in human terms.

PS. I don't serve soup.

philc

LE
The French are “testing” border controls.

It is just serendipity for them that the “test” just happens to coincide with a critical moment in the Brexit negotiations where, amongst other thing, border delays will be a consideration.

I think the French are realising the implications of lost fishing grounds and are flexing a little muscle.

philc

LE

Please take him, its two days less for the rest of us, your sacrifice will be noted.

A lucky escape for me.

I wouldn't describe my role as pivotal but it is of importance.

PS. I don't serve soup.

And for the CO and RSM too, not to mention the rest of us; btw, you came up in conversation last week, while I was away on Ex. Modesty prevents me from repeating what was said about you, but none of it was complimentary.

Last edited:

Latest Threads