Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yes, I'm sure they've never spotted that before.
Indeed and it is such a pity that PMTM(ASW) allowed the EU to tie our hands until the end of the transition period. Still we will be fully free of that in just under six weeks.

Not at all. EU regulations will continue to apply to UK-Canada trade for several more years.
For ‘Regulations’ and ‘Terms’ read ‘Standards’ , even where EU standards are lower than those required in the UK.
The key point is that the EU will have no control or adjudication over the roll-over UK - Can deal.
That goes for all other roll-over agreements.
It’s quite simple, really, and enables ‘normal jogging’ while other terms are thrashed out in the future.
Project Fear and Remainerists don’t seem to able to grasp this concept.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
For ‘Regulations’ and ‘Terms’ read ‘Standards’ , even where EU standards are lower than those required in the UK.
The key point is that the EU will have no control or adjudication over the roll-over UK - Can deal.
That goes for all other roll-over agreements.
It’s quite simple, really, and enables ‘normal jogging’ while other terms are thrashed out in the future.
Project Fear and Remainerists don’t seem to able to grasp this concept.
He knows that but it is fun getting Remainers steamed up.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And the eu get nothing out of it.
I don't know about that, they will get the pleasure of knowing that they have helped Brexit in having the CETA in place, in time! :)

I reckon maintaining the status quo is good news. Still worthy of a laugh, though, after 4 years of fantasy.

What do you think?
I think it's extremely interesting.
Project Fear told us that the UK could not possibly expect trade deals to the levels that the EU had with the RoW.
We just did.
Go figure.

Boris 1 - Cameron/May 0
But with many wickets left in this innings, I agree.

I think it's extremely interesting.
Project Fear told us that the UK could not possibly expect trade deals to the levels that the EU had with the RoW.
We just did.
Go figure.

Boris 1 - Cameron/May 0
But with many wickets left in this innings, I agree.

My bold!

We did better because we don't have to pay the Canadians £££ for the deal. Neither do the Canadians get to make our laws for us or send us their random unemployed.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The four year fantasy was all yours Colonel... PMTM let you down big time.

Hey ho. You’ll get over it in time.
I note that on my tablet this is page 666 of this thread. Spooky or what but looks like the Grim Reaper for Remainers.

Let this soak in...

Speaking to Express.co.uk, Professor of International Relations at London Metropolitan University, Dr Andrew Moran said Britain will be sent to the “back of the queue” as increased pressure is put “on the Prime Minister to do a deal with the European Union”.

Dr Moran said: “The situation has now changed and Britain may well find itself at the ‘back of the queue’ as President Obama famously said, as Biden’s priority will most likely be to focus on rebuilding America’s relationship with the 27 states of the European Union – a relationship that has been badly damaged by Trump.

“A stark reality for Johnson is that the Biden Administration will have other priorities in its first 100 days, not least tackling an increasingly out of control pandemic, rebuilding the economy, and dealing with any problems Trump may choose to create on his way out the door.”

Whereas President Trump was an enthusiastic supporter of Brexit, President-elect Biden is a known supporter of the European Union and is opposed to Brexit.

And by the way:

According to the Sunday Telegraph the EU sent Britain a demand for an additional £1.09bn, on top of its regular budget payments, on January 31. The paper reports this bill was paid over the summer removing a potential block to trade talks with Brussels.

The four year fantasy was all yours Colonel... PMTM let you down big time.

Hey ho. You’ll get over it in time.

He'll never get over it. At some point he is going to go for a wander around the grounds of RMAS, strip off his clothes and start singing 'Ode to Joy'. Fortunately for the rest of us, it will be during the night, so no one else will be disturbed (other than BL, who is clearly already disturbed).

Thanks. UK trading with Canada on EU regulations for several more years is amusing.
The new trade agreement between the UK and Canada is directly between the two countries and is separate from CETA. The treaty has terms which duplicate those of CETA (with a few minor exceptions) as it is intended to provide for trade continuity. It is to be called the Canada-United Kingdom Trade Continuity Agreement.

The plan from the beginning was to roll over existing terms and then proceed to negotiate a new trade agreement which is more closely tailored to the relationship between the two countries as opposed to with the EU as a whole. This was announced several years ago. The UK parliament however spent the next few years acting like a cat in the doorway not being able to decide whether it was going to be in the EU or out of the EU, until recently when things have become clear enough to proceed with a trade agreement.

The final treaty is expected to cover more areas than CETA, and negotiations will start next year. Canada will need to start federal-provincial consultation and government-business consultation to flesh out its negotiating position, and I imagine the UK will do the same on their end. The interim treaty however has no expiration date.

More details can be found here, including a link to the video conference announcement by the two PMs and trade ministers. Detailed discussion is more suitable to that thread than to this one.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
The new trade agreement between the UK and Canada is directly between the two countries and is separate from CETA. The treaty has terms which duplicate those of CETA (with a few minor exceptions) as it is intended to provide for trade continuity. It is to be called the Canada-United Kingdom Trade Continuity Agreement.

The plan from the beginning was to roll over existing terms and then proceed to negotiate a new trade agreement which is more closely tailored to the relationship between the two countries as opposed to with the EU as a whole. This was announced several years ago. The UK parliament however spent the next few years acting like a cat in the doorway not being able to decide whether it was going to be in the EU or out of the EU, until recently when things have become clear enough to proceed with a trade agreement.

The final treaty is expected to cover more areas than CETA, and negotiations will start next year. Canada will need to start federal-provincial consultation and government-business consultation to flesh out its negotiating position, and I imagine the UK will do the same on their end. The interim treaty however has no expiration date.

More details can be found here, including a link to the video conference announcement by the two PMs and trade ministers. Detailed discussion is more suitable to that thread than to this one.

I know.

Latest Threads