What now for the EU ?

Clearly Nissan have simply made a mistake... somebody (the tart in the typing pool probably) mistyped ‘Sunderland’ and it came out as ‘Barcelona’. They look and sound very similar after all so an easy mistake to make and as we know, Brexit guaranteed the closure of every car factory in the UK, not Spain.

Watch out for a statement by Nissan correcting the error.
The Sunderland plant is one of the most successful for Nissan. When it comes to what matters (i.e. profit and efficiency), Nissan will keep the Sunderland plant going. The EU and our fifth columnists can bleat on all they want, Nissan will follow the money.

Another take on the Nissan move from Guido, below.
No surprise that the gruniad report it as "Sunderland safe BUT Barcelona to close" even when faced with good news for the UK, the remain MSM give a muh.
Still, it's nice giving the deranged a few further dreams to add to those they already cry themselves to sleep over.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Wonder what the French will do when they learn that Renaults could be made in the UK and then shipped to the EU.

Lollers.
I do hope the EU don't slap a sales tariff on Renaults being imported into France, oh no.

I mentioned Sunderland here a few days ago. One of the news channels this morning was upbeat from Sunderland while showing burning tyres in Barcelona.

In other news. I thought Honda had announced the closure of Swindon last year, but I understand it's about to reopen after furlough.

Boo hoo, EU.

Honda are still going in 2021.
EU has stacked the market against petrol engined higher performance, larger engined cars - effectively stopping Honda selling many of its global top sellers in EUtopia
The EU's CO2 emissions racket will allow the EU to rack up 34 Billion Euros in fines off predominantly non EU car makers in 2021.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
EU has stacked the market against petrol engined higher performance, larger engined cars.
Its CO2 emissions racket will allow the EU to rack up 34 Billion Euros in fines off predominantly non EU car makers in 2021.
IIRC there was a popular German car manufacturer that had a wizard wheeze to get around regulations on diesel for their ‘people’s cars’. Perhaps something similar would work for oriental branded cars.

EU has stacked the market against petrol engined higher performance, larger engined cars - effectively stopping Honda selling many of its global top sellers in EUtopia
The EU's CO2 emissions racket will allow the EU to rack up 34 Billion Euros in fines off predominantly non EU car makers in 2021.
Hopefully our government will start to do a climb down from 'eco'-racketeering. I would bet that the majority of people in the UK agree that governments across the world are using Eco Extremists like XR as useful idiots in order to levy otherwise un-justifiable additional taxes on an already stretched public.

If our Government grows some balls, it'll wind back a lot of the carbon-cult bullshit taxes that crept in over the last few years, and leave the EU to continue eating itself in a race to the bottom.

We don't need to pander to our noisy minority any longer. Let's leave these literal Luddites in the stone age and move on in a positive direction that is actually backed by reasoning and fact, rather than mass hysteria and virtue signalling.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
IIRC there were a number of popular German car manufacturers that had a wizard wheeze to get around regulations on diesel for their ‘people’s cars’. Perhaps something similar would work for oriental branded cars.
I remember being told that BMW and Mercedes-Benz dodged a bullet on that. It just happened that on the day, the random car selected was a VW, but the other two quickly reversocycled and didn't physically get caught hanging out the back of the proverbial dog

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hopefully our government will start to do a climb down from 'eco'-racketeering. I would bet that the majority of people in the UK agree that governments across the world are using Eco Extremists like XR as useful idiots in order to levy otherwise un-justifiable additional taxes on an already stretched public.

If our Government grows some balls, it'll wind back a lot of the carbon-cult bullshit taxes that crept in over the last few years, and leave the EU to continue eating itself in a race to the bottom.

We don't need to pander to our noisy minority any longer. Let's leave these literal Luddites in the stone age and move on in a positive direction that is actually backed by reasoning and fact, rather than mass hysteria and virtue signalling.
Apropos of nothing. As I recall, exhaust catalysers became mandatory on petrol engines in 1992. At this point, manufacturers all started looking at diesel because of a perceived drop-off of mpg and mph caused by catalytic converters. (Instead of carrying out R&D into improving mpg and mph out of catalysed engines.)

Here's the rub. By 1994 and diesel becoming dominant, I read that TOTAL pollution (not just traffic pollution) in London dropped by 80% in those two years. Now, a quarter of a century on, Zero Alpha doesn't like me walking long distances in the disgusting, smelly, sooty, carcinogenic London diesel exhaust because of my asthma. Which came on a quarter of a century ago. Just saying.

I have never owned a diesel.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Apropos of nothing. As I recall, exhaust catalysers became mandatory on petrol engines in 1992. At this point, manufacturers all started looking at diesel because of a perceived drop-off of mpg and mph caused by catalytic converters. (Instead of carrying out R&D into improving mpg and mph out of catalysed engines.)

Here's the rub. By 1994 and diesel becoming dominant, I read that TOTAL pollution (not just traffic pollution) in London dropped by 80% in those two years. Now, a quarter of a century on, Zero Alpha doesn't like me walking long distances in the disgusting, smelly, sooty, carcinogenic London diesel exhaust because of my asthma. Which came on a quarter of a century ago. Just saying.

I’m slightly lost about whether you’re saying pollution went down with the introduction of diesel and has gone up now that it’s unpopular or something else.

I do have a VW diesel or PkW as I call it.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I’m slightly lost about whether you’re saying pollution went down with the introduction of diesel and has gone up now that it’s unpopular or something else.

I do have a VW diesel or PkW as I call it.
Pollution went down in just two years while unleaded petrol became the norm, then rocketed up when diesel became the norm.

denial hasn’t been the same since the last iteration of Baglock (RIP) left us. Its a weak shadow of its former self.
Surely denial hasn't been the same since ISIS stopped being a goddess of Egyptian mythology and became the name of an Islamic death cult

the Japanese, and Honda in particular, were always sceptical of diesels.
they have astonishing good engine design engineers, but while VW et al could apparently design ever more powerful And ‘clean’ diesels with ease, the Japanese found they had to develop hellishly complex multi stage turbo diesels just to squeeze through the ever tightening EURO emissions standards.

.And then the emission scandal broke, and they realised they’d been had by complicit EU governments determined to create a closed market for their domestic manufacturets.

UncivilServant

Old-Salt
If we're wise, we'll use that to advantage. Make it easy and a good idea for them to make 'em here. Symbolic of the great relationship we have with them, of course , that we would ease any concerns they have.
Part of me agrees with this as this would be the sensible approach. Part of me says "Nah, f*ck 'em".

The Nissan plant in Sunderland is the most efficient plant Nissan have Worldwide. They fly in Japanese managers to show them how a Nissan plant should be run.

I hope that the factory slaps a Union flag badge on the tailgate, along with some rebranding.
Renault Agincourt has a certain je ne sais quoi about it.
The should have a new Renault called the Renault Crusader - painted in the design of the St George's cross, and a 'freedom' logo on the boot.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Le Renault Rosbif...

Latest Threads