What now for the EU ?

Globalization going into hard reverse, and China on the naughty step

Good job the German car industry isn't heavily into China

Stand by your popcorn

The EU's so-called frugal four — Austria, Denmark, the Netherlands and Sweden — are pushing for a "loans for loans" approach for the bloc's coronavirus recovery fund, according to a position paper seen by POLITICO.

In their non-paper, the frugals, who came out against the Franco-German plan, argue for a European Recovery Fund that is based on a "modernized EU budget" and ensures countries are "better prepared for the next crisis."
After more than a year and numerous rejected budgets, the latest version hits the table on Wednesday

The European Commission is expected to unveil its proposal for a Recovery Instrument and revamped 2021-2027 EU budget on Wednesday. Commission officials have indicated the proposed recovery plan would include a mix of loans and grants.

Another interesting spin off from Coronavirus. it appears that several european countries (Spain and France in particular) seem to have become acutely aware how financially damaging it is for them to be economically isolated from the UK
Witness their distress at the proposed traveller isolation as lockdown is lifted.

I suspect several european nations will come out of Kung Flu with a heightened desire to maintain links.

And wheelbarrows, for when they go shopping.
And some kind of app that allows them to scan goods as they place them in their trolley and track in real time how much their trolley full has gone up by as they move round the aisles.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
It’s got nothing to do with Barnier’s competence; it’s simply that you can’t negotiate with the monkey. If your counter party isn’t empowered to make concede ground to reach the settlement you a seeking, there’s no point talking any further. All you are doing is gas bagging.

Far better to stop negotiating and tell your counterpart to come back properly empowered to negotiate or bring the organ grinder.

Bottom line, intermediaries cannot negotiate beyond their delegates authority. If your desired outcome is outside that authority, then it’s time to walk away.

The EU will be back pretty quickly.
I loved the headline 'EU calls UKs bluff and starts to prepare for no deal' - what bluff was that then?

no deal was part of art 50 - what have they been doing all this time?

even the EU admitted that financially the UK is much better off on WTO.

I think the biggest problem was when Barnier decided to play what he thought was tough because he wanted Junkers job. oh that and May going behind her own negotiators back with Ollie Robbins to sell us out with a useless deal.

Right from the start we needed to leave everything then negotiate back into what WE actually wanted to be part of. Art 50 was a waste of time as is any form of negotiated leaving. the direct debit should have been stopped the day after the vote IMO.

In_Twists

Swinger
...Right from the start we needed to leave everything then negotiate back into what WE actually wanted to be part of. Art 50 was a waste of time as is any form of negotiated leaving. the direct debit should have been stopped the day after the vote IMO.

Totally but the personal interests of oodles of MPs, the scaremongering stories and our own dear media meant noone had a scoobys what was really going on.
It would be great to do as you say and negotiate for what we want to be part of. Here's hoping...

Right from the start we needed to leave everything then negotiate back into what WE actually wanted to be part of. Art 50 was a waste of time as is any form of negotiated leaving. the direct debit should have been stopped the day after the vote IMO.
I agree, from the day after the referendum, we should have signed article 50, left straight away on WTO terms - and then done a trade deal with the EU once the understood they had lost their cash cow.

I think most people will be happy to leave without a deal - deals can be forged afterwards, after all we have plenty time to make them.

Currently we buy stuff from all over the world anyway and we export - soon we can set our own tariffs, undercut the EU, get stuff cheaper - let who we want into the country, throw out who we want , ignore EU courts/laws etc.

Bring it on :)

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I agree, from the day after the referendum, we should have signed article 50, left straight away on WTO terms - and then done a trade deal with the EU once the understood they had lost their cash cow.

I think most people will be happy to leave without a deal - deals can be forged afterwards, after all we have plenty time to make them.

Currently we buy stuff from all over the world anyway and we export - soon we can set our own tariffs, undercut the EU, get stuff cheaper - let who we want into the country, throw out who we want , ignore EU courts/laws etc.

Bring it on :)
it was stated quite clearly by cameron that the friday after he would let the EU know we were leaving and that we would be out out not half in.

then because he was a remainer he resigned to screw us over. - we didn't even get a day to celebrate before they started the crayoning.

Latest Threads