Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

WightMivvi

Old-Salt
The principle in any new relationship is to honour and understand what has gone before. But if Britain cannot see how this can work then it's a no deal. Small fry perhaps but the French are within their rights to veto it.
Right...

So if you get a new wife who is a divorcee, you would prefer it if she allowed her ex-husband to “fish her waters“ whilst allowing him to decide how often you can “go fishing”.

But I digress. If the French want to ruin the German car industry, the Spanish fishing industry and the Dutch bulb industry they are well within their rights to do so.

Crack on mes amis.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Do we import them?
Not sure. Most of our imports are from US -based Companies now the EU has destroyed the UK banana industry. It's 20 years since I was in Madeira talking about the banana industry and its exports from there; things may have changed.

Not sure. Most of our imports are from US -based Companies now the EU has destroyed the UK banana industry. It's 20 years since I was in Madeira talking about the banana industry and its exports from there; things may have changed.

I was in Madeira just before last Christmas and saw these bananas growing on the island.

They were no bigger than a breakfast sausage, unlike the whoppers we like to get down our grid.

I seriously doubt they'd meet the EU standard or meet the volume to fill a small boat.

ericferret

War Hero
I was in Madeira just before last Christmas and saw these bananas growing on the island.

They were no bigger than a breakfast sausage, unlike the whoppers we like to get down our grid.

I seriously doubt they'd meet the EU standard or meet the volume to fill a small boat.
When in Portugal last year Madeiran milk was on sale.

"Madeira’s bananas were once a popular export from the region, but due to changes in the EU regulations on the size of traded bananas, bananas are now traded domestically".

Sorry about the cartoon, can't delete it!!

"
1604095997146.png

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
Another myth... we can grow our own bananas, they can be curly too...right? In a global economy we trade for the best value and efficiency with customers in mind. Ask why we ever bothered to buy even a single plant from Holland.
We can grow bananas actually. You need to watch Gardners World more often.

Although I admit that there is nothing tastier than a Dutch banana. Or a nice mug of French grown tea

In terms of value efficiency and indeed ethics take a gander at where Tescos source their cut flowers.

Compare and contrast with slave labour produced and environmentally disasterous Spanish tomatoes.

as someone else has pointed out, with global choice the only folks who might suffer are the Dutch grower and the cloggie haulage companies. Right now in my local supermarket, all priced pretty much the same, are apples from GB, France,South Africa and Chile. Delete the french ones and the consumer will not even notice.

ericferret

War Hero

Although I admit that there is nothing tastier than a Dutch banana. Or a nice mug of French grown tea

In terms of value efficiency and indeed ethics take a gander at where Tescos source their cut flowers.

Compare and contrast with slave labour produced and environmentally disasterous Spanish tomatoes.

as someone else has pointed out, with global choice the only folks who might suffer are the Dutch grower and the cloggie haulage companies. Right now in my local supermarket, all priced pretty much the same, are apples from GB, France,South Africa and Chile. Delete the french ones and the consumer will not even notice.

Dutch tomatoes grown hydroponically, taste of f*ck all. Water in a red bag.
Nobody with a functioning taste bud will miss them.

Very much like your irrational objection to the government spending a few quid producing an information leaflet to avoid disaster, you find EU regulations on a few fish that we agreed to a tipping point. Britain, when a member of the European Union, signed up to the Common Fisheries Policy. This is an agreement whereby EU nations do not control their own territorial waters or set their own quotas to catch fish.
In 1982 the UN set the internationally recognised standard known as a sovereign nation's Exclusive Economic Zone. The ECC (and subsequently the EU) agreed the mandate and have applied it to their own borders and waters ever since.

But somehow these same international standards cannot apply to sovereign UK borders and exclusion zones because.... please tell us, we've been asking since 2015; ahh go on, ya will now, now would ya like another cup o tea father, enough of this sort of thing now... etc.

In 1982 the UN set the internationally recognised standard known as a sovereign nation's Exclusive Economic Zone. The ECC (and subsequently the EU) agreed the mandate and have applied it to their own borders and waters ever since.

But somehow these same international standards cannot apply to sovereign UK borders and exclusion zones because.... please tell us, we've been asking since 2015; ahh go on, ya will now, now would ya like another cup o tea father, enough of this sort of thing now... etc.
The first rules were created in 1970. The original six Common Market members realised that four countries applying to join the Common Market at that time (Britain, Ireland, Denmark including Greenland, and Norway) would control the richest fishing grounds in the world. The original six therefore drew up Council Regulation 2141/70 giving all Members equal access to all fishing waters.

Small peanuts but this government is desperate to break rules, treaties and international law to satisfy a minority of flag waving extremists who gave them the power to destroy us.

The first rules were created in 1970. The original six Common Market members realised that four countries applying to join the Common Market at that time (Britain, Ireland, Denmark including Greenland, and Norway) would control the richest fishing grounds in the world. The original six therefore drew up Council Regulation 2141/70 giving all Members equal access to all fishing waters.

Small peanuts but this government is desperate to break rules, treaties and international law to satisfy a minority of flag waving extremists who gave them the power to destroy us.
My bold, but it looks like I've found the flaw that you seem to be ignoring. We are no longer a member of that little club so therefore we can set our own rules. Our rules involve the EU now paying us to fish in our waters.

Wave your claw hammers with wild abandon and see if you can whack yourself in the head and hammer in some common sense.

Those 1970 rules have left the building.

That's fine ...just convince our gardening trade that they should switch to home grown bananas. Oh and because you may have other bright ideas, have our arms industry fit guns to our trawlers...that's the way to go....right? The incestuous mentality of isolationists is like a form of islam. Here are some cartoons of your prophet for you to froth over!

bojo cartoon - Bing images

Oh and because you may have other bright ideas, have our arms industry fit guns to our trawlers...that's the way to go....right?

No

This is the way to go

Protector is the British version of General Atomics latest Predator variant, the MQ-9B Sky Guardian.

The RAF drone will fly longer and, armed with Brimstone and Paveway IV precision weapons, hit harder than the Reaper.

Crucially, the machine is also in line to be approved to fly in non-segregated airspace in places like the U.K.

We don't need no steeeeeenking guns on trawlers.

That's fine ...just convince our gardening trade that they should switch to home grown bananas. Oh and because you may have other bright ideas, have our arms industry fit guns to our trawlers...that's the way to go....right? The incestuous mentality of isolationists is like a form of islam. Here are some cartoons of your prophet for you to froth over!

bojo cartoon - Bing images

It certainly explains a lot in your case.

Do you just copy and paste your beliefs from whichever nutty source you find?

You should really take your blue and starry glasses off, they impede your journey to intelligence.

Latest Threads