Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
So, what about Aldi and Lidl next year how will their prices fare ? Or because they are such a big company can they cut their own deal with Boris ??

Humperdoo

Clanker
Wise words from this woman are a blueprint for the future. IMF names Kristalina Georgieva as new head

Never has the saying...

‘United We Stand, Divided We Fall’​

...been more significant.

This country led by idiots, appointed by morons and supported blindly by arrse vermin, have no idea why.
Bring back the British Empire, that's what I say!

Regardless, if the EU was so united, all member states would be using the Euro and be completely federal by now. You only have to see Verhoftwat complaining about the role of the EU parliament to see how united they all are.

EU making vegans food illegal. As if they don't have more important things to discuss.
Minor detail, but his comments about cucumbers are wrong. Straight cucumbers area product of the industry, they can be more easily packed and therefore a higher density and cheaper packing is achieved. Simples.
However it sounds good when you can blame the EU for everything, rightly or wrongly.

AL1. The EU does not want to ban vegan food, merely the use of the term burger in connection with vegan food. The latter being a growth industry where large sums a demanded for dirt cheap ersatz products. That is where the real problem lies.

Tyk

LE
Minor detail, but his comments about cucumbers are wrong. Straight cucumbers area product of the industry, they can be more easily packed and therefore a higher density and cheaper packing is achieved. Simples.
However it sounds good when you can blame the EU for everything, rightly or wrongly.

AL1. The EU does not want to ban vegan food, merely the use of the term burger in connection with vegan food. The latter being a growth industry where large sums a demanded for dirt cheap ersatz products. That is where the real problem lies.

Seems appropriate :p

So, what about Aldi and Lidl next year how will their prices fare ? Or because they are such a big company can they cut their own deal with Boris ??
Aldi and Lidl prices will depend on where the products come from. British made or grown products should not be affected, european stuff may or may not go up in price, that depends on exchange rates and duties imposed.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Given that the CAP keeps prices artificially high in the EU, I would expect to see food prices fall significantly after Brexit - tempered only by the need to phase in the reduction in import tariffs slowly so British farming has time to adapt.

Wordsmith

Given that the CAP keeps prices artificially high in the EU, I would expect to see food prices fall significantly after Brexit - tempered only by the need to phase in the reduction in import tariffs slowly so British farming has time to adapt.

Wordsmith
Not sure about that. There’s a thing about CAP that people haven’t mentioned which is that largely manufacturing procedures will largely stay on hold. We could find that more is taken into home use but the qualities will remain the same. Moreover Defra will still want their information, so there will be few savings in that area. Defra will still be responsible for internally produced food. What farmers will be able to do is become a bit more competitive.

Aldi and Lidl prices will depend on where the products come from. British made or grown products should not be affected, european stuff may or may not go up in price, that depends on exchange rates and duties imposed.
Lidl and Aldi prices have had a massive increase in the last year - A lot of the stuff I use to buy, I stopped buying - now I make most of my food myself from ingredients. It tastes much better and I am not eating bulked up crap, also I know what's in my food. Bratwurst prices went up about 50p just in the last year so I won't be buying them again. I've even started making my own bread and pastry type stuff such as pasties/pies etc.

Wordsmith
When I went to Shape in Belgium in 1977 I noticed how much more expensive everything was there, especially food. I went back for a week to Ostend in 1981 and found that food prices were pretty much on par with the UK.

Sickening that this thread is about gloating over potential problems for the EU whilst ignoring our own predicament. There is no reliable information that Britain will fair better, only that brexit is bad for both, we need each other but the 27 versus 1 look more likely to recover and sustain less damage.

Oyibo

LE
Sickening that this thread is about gloating over potential problems for the EU whilst ignoring our own predicament. There is no reliable information that Britain will fair better, only that brexit is bad for both, we need each other but the 27 versus 1 look more likely to recover and sustain less damage.

There's another thread about UK Brexit issues. This one is about the future of the EU.

(The clue's in the thread title.)

philc

LE
Seems not all countries are rushing for funds from the EU Covid relief fund, seems they remember how the EU & Co. squeezed Greece, Cyprus and the others. They are either looking at loans from else where or are willing to muddle on, with little growth and struggling with existing debt.

Long memories sovereign nations have and I cant say I blame them, its a double edged sword and both edges will cause misery for independent sovereign nations.

Bazooka blunted as EU countries snub recovery loans​

Memories of the Troika and unwillingness to pile up debt are making many governments squeamish at borrowing EU money.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Seems not all countries are rushing for funds from the EU Covid relief fund, seems they remember how the EU & Co. squeezed Greece, Cyprus and the others. They are either looking at loans from else where or are willing to muddle on, with little growth and struggling with existing debt.

Long memories sovereign nations have and I cant say I blame them, its a double edged sword and both edges will cause misery for independent sovereign nations.

Bazooka blunted as EU countries snub recovery loans​

Memories of the Troika and unwillingness to pile up debt are making many governments squeamish at borrowing EU money.

You can add into that that Italy, Spain and France are in the too big to fail category. If they do down (Italy leading the change over the cliff edge), it's also bye, bye euro and bye, bye the EU in it's present form. The room for tin can kicking for the EU is steadily reducing - and the time at which it will face an existential crisis is fast approaching.

Good job we're out as the EU is sure to try and throw massive amounts of money at the problem to stave off disaster. We're going to escape that particular begging bowl.

Wordsmith

Tyk

LE
You can add into that that Italy, Spain and France are in the too big to fail category. If they do down (Italy leading the change over the cliff edge), it's also bye, bye euro and bye, bye the EU in it's present form. The room for tin can kicking for the EU is steadily reducing - and the time at which it will face an existential crisis is fast approaching.

Good job we're out as the EU is sure to try and throw massive amounts of money at the problem to stave off disaster. We're going to escape that particular begging bowl.

Wordsmith

It's a distinct possibility.
I've never wished the EU harm, but the arrogant attitude of the Commission and the total lack of democratic accountability doesn't encourage positive feelings towards the institution as a whole. Comparisons between the EU and the USSR are far too easy to draw and increasingly so.

I'm in agreement that the EU as it currently stands can't survive and that Covid is just accelerating the likely end.

Latest Threads