Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Isn’t that their day job, (or night job if they are on shift) to care for kids?

Good thinking Batman. Apparently it’s impossible to get a policeman out for a burglary or vandalism.........but you want them out when someone misses their porage oats.
Let me know how that goes, you remember the kick up when people started ringing the police when KFC missed a delivery.

No, it isn't their job to feed kids.

The same as it isn't the job of your GP to feed you.

That you have to ask such a bone question speaks volumes of your cockwhiffery.

D

Deleted 174133

Pleased to see Liz Truss and gang have got the UK-Japan FTA over the finishing line, in record time I believe.
It could be argued that Covid was an ill wind that blew them some good.
Opposition parties and MSM have been all over, firstly Brexit, then Covid, and effectively left the negotiators free of hindrance to get their job done.
trade deals can be easy

It also highlights what can be achieved in a very short time when both sides are up for a mutually beneficial outcome.
Exactly.
Which is why PMBJ should stand firm, leave on WTO rules and then we can start the horse trading with Europe without the need for "red lines" and "level playing fields" and the deals can be done with the industries that want a beneficial outcome and not the politicians who don't.

D

Deleted 174133

Watching BREXIT happen will demonstrate the stupidity of it?

Watching anything demonstrates nothing.
The act of observation is what the scientific principle is based upon.

Watching things demonstrates everything we know about the world around us

I disagree. We can be forgiving, offer them a trade deal, even an economic community, with freedom of movement between countries.

Provided they police the border between Eire and the UK on land and sea.
They wouldn't even have to police it themselves, just pay for it to be policed. There's a few UK security companies who'd be interested in that contract - probably all be undercut by Capita though.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The act of observation is what the scientific principle is based upon.

Watching things demonstrates everything we know about the world around us
I watch cricket. Mr. GRB watches paint dry. What this tells us is that the world has room for idiots, even Remainers.

But you are allowed to point and laugh at them. Just watch!

syrup

LE
Exactly.
Which is why PMBJ should stand firm, leave on WTO rules and then we can start the horse trading with Europe without the need for "red lines" and "level playing fields" and the deals can be done with the industries that want a beneficial outcome and not the politicians who don't.
I think that may be Boris' plan
Britain doesn't have to lift a finger just let the time slide by until d-day.
Then once we've had the break invite them back in but remind them in Obama style that they are at the back of the queue

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Exactly.
But, but....that will make things more difficult for Remainers to get the referendum overturned and for us to return to under the heel of Brussels!

Think of the poor Remainers!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Both we and the eurozone are heading into deep smeg because of Covid 19.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...-latest-coronavirus-news-pound-euro-ftse-100/
Today’s UK flash PMI readings show the recovery has “lost its legs”,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/10/23/eurozone-heads-dreaded-double-dip-recovery-stalls/
Covid-19’s second wave is hitting the eurozone economy hard with businesses reporting painful slumps in activity as new restrictions came into force this month. Job losses continued and optimism for the future faded as companies told IHS Markit’s purchasing managers’ index (PMI) survey that activity levels were sliding again, raising the spectre of a “double dip” recession.

The money that we and the EU are spending to try and protect jobs is simply unsustainable.

The UK is heading for big tax rises and austerity because of the debt we're rapidly racking up. The EU is heading for a euro collapse.

The Swedes have woken up to the answer. They're not putting the vulnerable into lockdown but letting them take their own decisions on risk. (my bold)

The elderly are paying a terrible price for being protected from Covid
The elderly, they said, have suffered enough. They have spent months being advised to avoid public transport, shopping malls and other parts of everyday life. And the result? Loneliness. Misery. This is more than unpleasant: it quickly translates into depression, mental health issues and mortality. “We cannot only think about infection control,” said Lena Hallengren, Sweden’s health minister, “we also need to think about public health.” An important distinction: focus on Covid to the exclusion of other conditions and you risk lives.

Thee is only one strategy to deal with Covid 19: protect the truly vulnerable and let the rest of the population get on with their lives. If you're under 70 the risk of death is measured in fractions of a percent, while the risk of mental health problems, unemployment, etc., is far higher.

My mother is in a block of retirement flats. The residents have taken their own decision on how to deal with Covid 19 - and it isn't the government guidelines. They've evolved ways of minimising risk while still maintaining a social life.

The government is going to be pushed into the strategy of shielding the vulnerable sooner or later - the debt we're running up will give them no choice.

And the countries that adopt that strategy earlier - be it here or in the EU - are those that are going to recover from the economic effects of Covid 19 earliest - and have the strongest economies going forward.

Wordsmith

The Swedes have woken up to the answer. They're not putting the vulnerable into lockdown but letting them take their own decisions on risk. (my bold)

Wordsmith

Ive been doing that since March.
I’m in the top 1%, but it’s manageable, but it would be easier with some basic targetted rules from HMG.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I know one thing, on 01/01/21, I'll be waking up with a massive hangover close to the beaches of Lanzarote, without the need to worry about spending r 14 days unpaid at home when I return, now that Boris has opened up the air corridor once again.

Isn’t that their day job, (or night job if they are on shift) to care for kids?

Good thinking Batman. Apparently it’s impossible to get a policeman out for a burglary or vandalism.........but you want them out when someone misses their porage oats.
Let me know how that goes, you remember the kick up when people started ringing the police when KFC missed a delivery.

Surely the trick is to report a hate crime, and then mention the burglary or vandalism when they turn up seconds later

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Ive been doing that since March.
I’m in the top 1%, but it’s manageable, but it would be easier with some basic targetted rules from HMG.

Ditto my mother (nearly 90). I'm taking her out for a pub lunch lunchtime Saturday, plus meeting friends in the evening.

But I've stayed in all week (other than a visit to the supermarket), so my chance of having Covid 19 before meeting my mother is small, plus I'm meeting my friends after I've left my mother. Going round a number of pubs in the evening increases the chances I'll catch it. So I won't physically see my mother for a minimum of a week after that to give any potential Covid 19 symptoms a chance to show themselves.

You can't cut out all risk - and I'm mindful my mother is at significant risk of dying if she gets it - but she knows and accepts the risk. My sister is equally careful when meeting with my mother - she doesn't want to give it to her either.

But we ensure my mother gets out and about a little - instead of being stuck inside her flat and slowly vegetating.

Wordsmith

And

So you've just contradicted yourself - and with a trifling 25% margin of error.

View attachment 514382

Stay behind after school and write out 100 times "I must check my facts more carefully..."

Wordsmith
Silly silly silly....what I originally stated:
  • The EU is the largest economy in the world. Although growth is projected to be slow, the EU remains the largest economy in the world with a GDP per head of €25 000 for its 500 million consumers.

What do you imagine is so wrong with that ?

Silly silly silly....what I originally stated:
  • The EU is the largest economy in the world. Although growth is projected to be slow, the EU remains the largest economy in the world with a GDP per head of €25 000 for its 500 million consumers.

What do you imagine is so wrong with that ?
It's not the largest economy in the world, either by overall size, GDP, or any other meaningful measure.

Tyk

LE
It's not the largest economy in the world, either by overall size, GDP, or any other meaningful measure.

Nor is the EU an economy (despite what the Commissioners would like), it's a collection of 27 disparate economies with competing interests and a rather badly put together and even more badly enforced rules. Those economies are in a variety of messy states with some being real basket cases and only a couple worthy of any note at all.
Personally I won't be surprised if the EU's push for ever closer union meets more and more opposition as the negotiations, bullying and lack of progress is being noted by the more sceptical countries and parties in the EU membership.

But,but.....

Capture.PNG  EU.PNG

EU position in world trade - Trade - European Commission

Must be true.

Both we and the eurozone are heading into deep smeg because of Covid 19.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...-latest-coronavirus-news-pound-euro-ftse-100/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/10/23/eurozone-heads-dreaded-double-dip-recovery-stalls/

The money that we and the EU are spending to try and protect jobs is simply unsustainable.

The UK is heading for big tax rises and austerity because of the debt we're rapidly racking up. The EU is heading for a euro collapse.

The elderly are paying a terrible price for being protected from Covid

Thee is only one strategy to deal with Covid 19: protect the truly vulnerable and let the rest of the population get on with their lives. If you're under 70 the risk of death is measured in fractions of a percent, while the risk of mental health problems, unemployment, etc., is far higher.

My mother is in a block of retirement flats. The residents have taken their own decision on how to deal with Covid 19 - and it isn't the government guidelines. They've evolved ways of minimising risk while still maintaining a social life.

The government is going to be pushed into the strategy of shielding the vulnerable sooner or later - the debt we're running up will give them no choice.

And the countries that adopt that strategy earlier - be it here or in the EU - are those that are going to recover from the economic effects of Covid 19 earliest - and have the strongest economies going forward.

Wordsmith
Absolutely spot on. It should have been obvious back in spring that lockdowns and business restrictions were a duelling pistol strategy. i.e one shot only.
At the minute, we’re haemorrhaging money and slowly strangling entire business sectors futilely, imho, only to end up, in all probability with an endgame forced upon us, which should have been elective weeks or even months before it becomes unavoidable. The latest excuse from they of the dodgy projections is that doing nothing could lead to even worse financial woes long term. I’d like to see some strong evidence for that theory.

Latest Threads