Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Answer these questions:

Why would the EU make terms and conditions deliberately unacceptable?

Which manufacturers and traders are unaffected by brexit?
1. Pour décourager les autres, obvs., you silly old Nazi-loving buffoon.
2. Ones not involved in EU - UK trade. On both sides of the Channel.

2 for 2. Ask me one on the Holocaust.

Pleased to see Liz Truss and gang have got the UK-Japan FTA over the finishing line, in record time I believe.
It could be argued that Covid was an ill wind that blew them some good.
Opposition parties and MSM have been all over, firstly Brexit, then Covid, and effectively left the negotiators free of hindrance to get their job done.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Facts and figures on the EU’s position in global markets
  • The EU is the largest economy in the world. Although growth is projected to be slow, the EU remains the largest economy in the world with a GDP per head of €25 000 for its 500 million consumers.
And
Rankings by Nominal GDP
Here are the 2019 rankings by nominal GDP, shown in current U.S. dollars. These don't take into account PPP, and by this measure, the U.S. is the world's biggest economy:

1. U.S.: $21.4 trillion
  2. EU: $15.6 trillion

So you've just contradicted yourself - and with a trifling 25% margin of error.

1603447818579.png

Stay behind after school and write out 100 times "I must check my facts more carefully..."

Wordsmith

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Pleased to see Liz Truss and gang have got the UK-Japan FTA over the finishing line, in record time I believe.
It could be argued that Covid was an ill wind that blew them some good.
Opposition parties and MSM have been all over, firstly Brexit, then Covid, and effectively left the negotiators free of hindrance to get their job done.

Is it better than, the same or worse than the deal we currently enjoy via the EU? It came into force on 1 Feb 2019.

Oops. Looks like the EU has stuffed up again.
surely the point is that if the EU does not want-Ahem- to denude MS of their sovereignty and within the WA both sides can act independently for their own interests, that is either Eire/ EU or the UK the concept of a breach at this stage is dead in the water. The Issue of the ECJ is fairly simple. A Ms having a grievance against a non MS can either use it's own courts- much more likely on a contractual basis or ours to enforce any ruling. It's up to any company without the zone to determine if they want to/ can comply with any findings. Ultimately their can be no compulsion to trade.

There’s going to be mass emigration from Ireland. So we urgently need to be looking at why we give them such generous access to the UK employment market.
Seeing as Varadkar thought we were a small country with a colonial mindset we should absolutely shut the door on them.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
A paediatrician should care more for kids than their parents do?

Parents who can't rustle up a slice of toast or a bit of porridge for their kid in the morning should be charged with neglect.

Isn’t that their day job, (or night job if they are on shift) to care for kids?

Good thinking Batman. Apparently it’s impossible to get a policeman out for a burglary or vandalism.........but you want them out when someone misses their porage oats.
Let me know how that goes, you remember the kick up when people started ringing the police when KFC missed a delivery.

Is it better than, the same or worse than the deal we currently enjoy via the EU? It came into force on 1 Feb 2019.

My understanding is it is very slightly better, certainly not worse.
The point, though, is that this FTA is applicable from 1 Jan 2021 thus giving full continuity.
It also highlights what can be achieved in a very short time when both sides are up for a mutually beneficial outcome.

ETA: Of course it may be too early, but I don’t think we’ve yet heard any screeching from Brussels about the UK actually daring to sign an independent FTA which, as we all know, is against the EU’s rule book .
If no wailing emanates from the Berlaymont , this would be an excellent indicator that they consider the UK has left the EU and its rules, and is an independent sovereign nation.

Last edited:
Isn’t that their day job, (or night job if they are on shift) to care for kids?

Good thinking Batman. Apparently it’s impossible to get a policeman out for a burglary or vandalism.........but you want them out when someone misses their porage oats.
Let me know how that goes, you remember the kick up when people started ringing the police when KFC missed a delivery.

Your whataboutery might have worked except that you started off under the premise that pediatricians are responsible for feeding children. :rolleyes:

Whining Civvy

War Hero
It’ll sort itself out in the end and working ourselves up and having hissy fits, whilst possibly cathartic, won’t make a blind bit of difference.
We should very probably have this posted at the top of every Brexit-related thread. Which is then immediately closed.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Seeing as Varadkar thought we were a small country with a colonial mindset we should absolutely shut the door on them.
I disagree. We can be forgiving, offer them a trade deal, even an economic community, with freedom of movement between countries.

Provided they police the border between Eire and the UK on land and sea.