Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

I think it's time to post this again.
Whilst some on here are convinced one way or the other, it's all done and dusted, I am not (by that I mean we are leaving, but on what terms).
PMBJ needs to stand firm on his promises and not let the EU fudge a deal at the last minute that will not benefit the UK. I am particularly concerned there will be a deal on fishing that doesn't protect UK waters, which will not please the fishermen of the NE of Scotland and will further Sturgeon's cause.
I know many on here are scornful of Brotheton Lad's "wait and see" angle, but I will not be convinced until the clock strikes midnight on December 31st and ends our membership of the EU once and for all.
I have made no secret on here that I voted remain, but as the years have gone on and the farce that has been the Brexit debate has unravelled, I have been more and more convinced I was wrong. That said we have to pull together and make Brexit work. Even the most ardent remainer must now realise that we are leaving. All of us now need to make it work to Britains advantage as best we can and IMHO that means standing firm and not letting the EU make a half-arsed deal.

edited to add a link that works.
My bold. Welcome to the dark side.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Ah Tony's cronies, is there anything that man touched that wasn't left with a putrid stench around it? And yes, I include Cherie's nether regions in that.

The Lords was functioning well as a reforming chamber - what he didn't like was the idea of the then Tory majority critiquing his 'cool Britannia' agenda and sending his legislation back with pragmatic reforms. So he binned the hereditary Lords and packed it with his cronies.

The whole idea of a reforming chamber is to debate the proposed legislation and help constructively improve it - not delay it out of fits of pique or because it doesn't fit your party's agenda.

Now the Lords is largely filled with political placemen who lack the expertise to suggest constructive improvements and who see obstructing legislation from the commons as more important than improving it.

Another Augean stables that needs cleansing.

Wordsmith

I think it's time to post this again.
Whilst some on here are convinced one way or the other, it's all done and dusted, I am not (by that I mean we are leaving, but on what terms).
PMBJ needs to stand firm on his promises and not let the EU fudge a deal at the last minute that will not benefit the UK. I am particularly concerned there will be a deal on fishing that doesn't protect UK waters, which will not please the fishermen of the NE of Scotland and will further Sturgeon's cause.
I know many on here are scornful of Brotheton Lad's "wait and see" angle, but I will not be convinced until the clock strikes midnight on December 31st and ends our membership of the EU once and for all.
I have made no secret on here that I voted remain, but as the years have gone on and the farce that has been the Brexit debate has unravelled, I have been more and more convinced I was wrong. That said we have to pull together and make Brexit work. Even the most ardent remainer must now realise that we are leaving. All of us now need to make it work to Britains advantage as best we can and IMHO that means standing firm and not letting the EU make a half-arsed deal.

edited to add a link that works.

Unlike you, I voted to leave. However, I too am waiting for 1/1/2021 before I'll even think of celebrating what should have been a historic moment in 2016. There was nothing about a deal on the paper. Leave or remain was the choice. I still don't trust the bars tards one fur king inch.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I have made no secret on here that I voted remain, but as the years have gone on and the farce that has been the Brexit debate has unravelled, I have been more and more convinced I was wrong. That said we have to pull together and make Brexit work. Even the most ardent remainer must now realise that we are leaving.

The desperation is down to the realisation that once we're out - that's it. We will now diverge markedly from the EU in terms of laws, regulations, tax regimes, state subsidies, etc. Which will hopefully allow us to grow faster than the EU and regain some of our lost competitiveness against the rest of the world.

To re-join the EU, we would have to bin all of that to conform with EU law - a requirement of re-joining. Which would be bye-bye to all the advantages we have gained from Brexit. Any Remainer with an ounce of common sense knows we'll never re-join the EU in its present form with that as a backdrop.

Hence the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Wordsmith

The desperation is down to the realisation that once we're out - that's it. We will now diverge markedly from the EU in terms of laws, regulations, tax regimes, state subsidies, etc. Which will hopefully allow us to grow faster than the EU and regain some of our lost competitiveness against the rest of the world.

To re-join the EU, we would have to bin all of that to conform with EU law - a requirement of re-joining. Which would be bye-bye to all the advantages we have gained from Brexit. Any Remainer with an ounce of common sense knows we'll never re-join the EU in its present form with that as a backdrop.

Wordsmith
As Merkel walks off into the sun, as the Media darling. Don't forget, that the ECB three trillion dollar QE is likely as not, has created a giant deflationary spiral and if Germany fails to put its hand in its pocket after Merkel walks then the entire project will sink under its own debt.... Thank christ, we will be gone by then.

As Merkel walks off into the sun, as the Media darling. Don't forget, that the ECB three trillion dollar QE is likely as not, has created a giant deflationary spiral and if Germany fails to put its hand in its pocket after Merkel walks then the entire project will sink under its own debt.... Thank christ, we will be gone by then.
Germany will take defaulters by force and annex assets. Will occur at some point.

They wanted an EU Army to do it under someone else's name, but that won't happen.

Ah Mutti, her legacy of inviting all and sundry into Europe will be well remembered.

It will be fine.
They are now reaching out to the public.
Christine Lagarde began a "listening tour" engaging civil society.

Lagarde turns to civil society in ECB transformation effort

In the bank’s first strategy review in 17 years, the ECB is looking to redefine its inflation target. It will also look at what it can do to fight climate change, foster inclusion, reach civil society and empower women.

Sounds good to me.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
There is strength in numbers and a system based upon sound principles should work. Time will tell. My firm belief in that such a dynamic organisation with built in healing ability will thrive.
Those "sound principles": Something along the lines of "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" perchance?

I'm beginning to understand the attraction. For you.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
And what news of the great Remainer refugee exit to EUtopia?
I believe that the ships are still dockside awaiting passengers, after 4 years, the Champagne has gone flat, the cheese is a tad whiffy and the "EU Citizen ID" cards are a bit dog-eared.

It will be fine.
They are now reaching out to the public.
Christine Lagarde began a "listening tour" engaging civil society.

Lagarde turns to civil society in ECB transformation effort

Sounds good to me.
Aye, I've heard of these listening exercises we had quite a few pre-referendum and then immediatly afterwards. Its curious how often they're turn into a bunch of luvvies all agreeing that we are on the right track, but need to smarten up our messaging, or proposing a load of new quangos to actively promote right thinking i.e. propaganda for the masses.

Covid and Big business buying back stock is soaking up all the funny money and even the ECB must have a lid and can't keep the printers going forever, as somebody is going to have to chip up.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I believe that the ships are still dockside awaiting passengers, after 4 years, the Champagne has gone flat, the cheese is a tad whiffy and the "EU Citizen ID" cards are a bit dog-eared.
The are waiting for Yasmin Spitefulwitch-Brown to emigrate first...

Ah yes our old talent for diplomacy, pragmatism and appeasement. Look it up it was a valuable tool in the diplomacy kit especially in India and other empirey bits.

As for wetting my pants, not at all. It couldn’t be more simple. Brexit, I’ve always thought a stupid idea and have said so.

No one has provided an example of how it will improve our or anyone’s lot.

Even a capable government wouldn’t have attempted it.

And this is nothing resembling a capable government.
Cometh the hour, cometh the man. The problem is we’ve the wrong man in the wrong hour.

Do tell us more about incompetent politicians from your unique irish perspective, spud2.

Wordsmith

We know about freedom of movement too.

The Lords was functioning well as a reforming chamber - what he didn't like was the idea of the then Tory majority critiquing his 'cool Britannia' agenda and sending his legislation back with pragmatic reforms. So he binned the hereditary Lords and packed it with his cronies.

The whole idea of a reforming chamber is to debate the proposed legislation and help constructively improve it - not delay it out of fits of pique or because it doesn't fit your party's agenda.

Now the Lords is largely filled with political placemen who lack the expertise to suggest constructive improvements and who see obstructing legislation from the commons as more important than improving it.

Another Augean stables that needs cleansing.

Wordsmith
Whilst collection some £300.00 per day in "expenses" and enjoying the benefits of the best club in London.

Well well, it appears even the EU carmakers are urging Brussels to change its Brexit stance.

Extract, letter from the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) — a group that represents companies including BMW, Toyota and Fiat — urges Brussels to “reconsider its position” on rules for determining whether goods will qualify for tariff-free trade.

Source FT (unsure if link works)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Latest Threads