Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Provided work and travel opportunities, for the Scots, Welsh and Irish.

So apart from providing work and travel opportunities, for the Scots, Welsh and Irish

What has the Empire ever done for the world?

Money for the English.

Ok

So apart from providing work and travel opportunities, for the Scots, Welsh and Irish and Money for the English, and Gin and Tonic

and what will replace it?
Oh! . . . an opportunity to re-post the following . . .

On the principle, that the more times I post the following, the better the chance that it might be noticed by those nice people in Whitehall who monitor this thread, it may be appropriate to repeat the contents of an earlier post.

It is to be hoped that someone within the UK BREXIT team, is pencilling-in the idea of a purely economic, simply-for-trade, "Northern Economic Community" (NEC).

The UK has always worked well with the three Scandinavian countries, to which should be included Finland - now that it has found (been allowed to find) its "own voice".

The "Visegrad Four", will be as disillusioned as anyone, finding themselves part of "The EuroSSR". Not quite, what they expected after their escape from their enforced influence of, and domination by, the Soviet’s “SSSR”

Should they wish to, on the grounds of practical, defence viability, the three Baltic States would add/complete, a geographical, coherent, whole, virtually surrounding the North Sea and the Baltic Sea.

With the remaining southern states/north Mediterranean countries; and, the three BeNeLux countries; then faced with the only alternative of the Franco-German axis, it would be interesting to speculate to which group they would all gravitate.

We ALL stay within NATO . . . obviously!

NOTE: Rather then trust someone in Government is/was, following (contributing to ?!), this thread, a copy of the above was sent direct, and produced the following response . . .

NEC 1 from Gove.jpg

NEC 2 from Gove.jpg

Last edited:

anglo

LE
Hmm. As a Leaver, I never encountered any “flag-waving isolationists”, paranoid or not. But I did hear a lot about these mythical creatures from baffled Remainers who lacked the ability to comprehend that different people had different life experiences that lead them to different conclusions.

In many respects, the EU is going through the growing pains that the federal authorities in the US went through a few hundred years ago. Like the US federal authorities, the Commission seeks to expand its powers beyond those granted to them by the member states and, once it gets those powers, it never lets go. This isn’t paranoia, merely a recognition of federal realpolitik.

I do laugh at your assertion that the EU is a meritocracy. The EU has traditionally been a place where failed politicians are put out to grass, and where personal contacts and positioning gives you power, not merit. The European Parliament and Commission are, to borrow your phraseology, a menagerie of the failed, of the corrupt, of the incompetent.

As for your claim that the EU is democratic, well, let’s agree to disagree. The EU is designed to ensure consistency and continuity, mitigating the disruption, uncertainty and change that follow national elections. Governments may change but the EU and its policies will continue.

I do sort of agree that the money we invested in, say, new roads in Poland gave us some benefit; the lorries carrying our goods could get to the Polish consumer quicker as a result of those new roads, reducing the logistical cost a little. However, I don’t believe those benefits were equal to or greater than our contributions, and I think they are not worth the loss of democratic control over those who exercise power over us.

What I find particularly interesting though is that you are exhibiting an odd behaviour that
the most vocal Remainers all exhibit: an obsession with wealth and status. The British (well, actually the English) are already the most hated people in the world but we seem to do ok, so I won’t worry too much about reputation. As for the loss of wealth, I wonder if you could help me in finding an answer to the folllowing question:

If I say I will give you £10 tomorrow but then only give you £5 tomorrow, are you richer or poorer?
Bloody good post

Ok

So apart from providing work and travel opportunities, for the Scots, Welsh and Irish and Money for the English, and Gin and Tonic

Given it the benefit and the joy of our mother tongue ...... English .... Which languages are most widely spoken?. ..... doubtless to the irritation of the French .

Ok

Greenwich/Prime meridian which also pisses off the French.

If I say I will give you £10 tomorrow but then only give you £5 tomorrow, are you richer or poorer?
Richer, but not as rich as originally thought. Or half a loaf is better than no bread at all.
As for the EU, the german politician Gregor Gysi of the Linke party once said that the EU is not democratic, it lacks transparency and is corrupt. Spot on. I would add that the EU, in particular the Commision and to a lesser extent the Parliament, has alienated itself from those it purports to represent. The EU is perhaps even a bit narcisstic.

BobbHope

War Hero
The "direction of travel" is a subjective notion that has generated pure paranoia among flag-waving isolationists. There is no evidence that any future re-structuring or expansion of the EU will be harmful. The philosophy of mutual benefit will remain. There is no danger of losing the democratic processes that already exist and most important are that people involved are qualified and with appropriate experience, each appointed by a vote. But in such a meritocracy rather that a menagerie of popular clowns, there is integrity and honesty at every stage. I am happy to be European and trust the organisation best equipped to lead.

I don't worry about paying into the EU pot, nearly all of comes back as investment or goes to poorer member states that we exploit. This is fair and the recipe for economic growth for everyone. We have done very well during our time with the EU but brexit has cost us a huge fall down the ranks in economic terms.

It is too late to rescue our reputation and too late to stop the disaster ahead. Don't blame the EU for self inflicted harm. Don't blame the virus either...
OMFG

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Ok

Railways:- to enable the Scots, welsh and Irish to benefit from the work and travel opportunities offered.

The "direction of travel" is a subjective notion that has generated pure paranoia among flag-waving isolationists. There is no evidence that any future re-structuring or expansion of the EU will be harmful. The philosophy of mutual benefit will remain. There is no danger of losing the democratic processes that already exist and most important are that people involved are qualified and with appropriate experience, each appointed by a vote. But in such a meritocracy rather that a menagerie of popular clowns, there is integrity and honesty at every stage. I am happy to be European and trust the organisation best equipped to lead.

I don't worry about paying into the EU pot, nearly all of comes back as investment or goes to poorer member states that we exploit. This is fair and the recipe for economic growth for everyone. We have done very well during our time with the EU but brexit has cost us a huge fall down the ranks in economic terms.

It is too late to rescue our reputation and too late to stop the disaster ahead. Don't blame the EU for self inflicted harm. Don't blame the virus either...

Best parody account on Arse.

Made me smile; thanks.

DING!

Selective sources again are we! If you're going to use a graph at least show your entire data set.

Now Don't know about you, but I get two things from that graph.
1: The trend has steadily been downwards since 1953. Thus it will mean we will never climb back up.
2: The massive dip around 85/86 was when we were in the EU...
The dip from '81 is the switch from manufacturing to service economy along with loss of jobs associated with manufacturing, less to do with the EU than it was to use NS Oil to fund unemployment, Reaching around 11% or similar.

Latest Threads