Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Your office is probably closing their London office because they realise that they've employed a bunch of whining büllshitters like yourself, and it is easier to close the office than go through the pain of sacking all the arrseholes
Can't tell you the full story but my job's relatively safe. Thanks for the spittle flecked concern.
.Your Brexit Pound Exchange Rate "tool". Really shocking. Hasn't Sterling done awfully since the vote? I wonder though.... you wouldn't be the kind of weaselling little shite to find some bunch of bullshit munchers who would be selective with the data range would you? Surely not?

Oh, wait. EUR to GBP average exchange rate 1999-2018 | Statista

Looking at the FTSE, I wonder what other developing news there was over the last few days? Perhaps you'd managed to forget, in your monomaniacal retardation, about the news of new lockdowns due to the pandemic (and the resultant impact on business now and higher taxes in the future)? Slipped your mind did it?
Did it answer the comments by Mangler oh spittle flecked one. Covid was always going to be an excuse wasn;t it sparky?

Let's see how your beloved Europe is doing: (won't post links from work, but you can Google or use Bloomberg, even the EU fanatic Financial Times): Paris is down 0.6% on the week, Germany is down 1.9%, Spain is down by 1.6% and Italy down 1.4%. The same providers have the UK as down 1.4%
Not sure why you think it;s my beloved Europe, I'm not the one living, working and spittle flecking my screen in the EU am? I CGAF about Europe, I care about the UK.
With regards unemployment, perhaps you should glance your rheumy eyes over those of the rest of the EU? Unemployment Rate - Countries - List | Europe
Only Germany, using the Euro to destroy the rest of Europe, has a lower unemployment rate than the UK (of the major economies). EU unemployment rate is 7.4% and rising sharply. UK's is 4.5% (latest figure).
See above, my concerns are the UK. I can think of a few jobs which have moved to the EU to improve their stats by a very small amount. Similar examples coming the other way will please me no end.
TLDR? In summary: you post biased and utter shite that only a simpleton would believe.
Best wishes to yourself as well.

Ref my block, it may have escaped your notice but your country is also my, and many others, country. It may also have escaped your notice that our country had a referendum way back on the 23 June 2016. The result, for better or worse, was leave. I for one, don't think you're stupid. It just puzzles me why you, and others, seem to despise the democratic process. Or do you, and others, believe that democracy is okay, as long as it agrees with your views? That way, I believe, is the path to anarchy.

Ref my italics. Pure speculation. If ANY of those who prophesied doom and gloom could do so EVERY time, they'd all be multi billionaires many times over.
Your question:

Obviously democracy comes in many shades and there needs to be an opposition so disagreement is inevitable. Governments must be accountable especially when they are a gang of idiots. Yes I am in favour of democracy but look around.

When an election like the last one is full of lies, propaganda and ignorance, democracy becomes an exercise of motivating fools to grab power. Once in with a majority the lies, propaganda and ignorance continues, a vicious circle. Criticism is met by blatant denial and there is nothing anyone can do about it until it is too late.

It appears to be the kind of democracy that we are stuck with and only future historians will expose the truth...if they are allowed. Q.E.D.

Did it answer the comments by Mangler oh spittle flecked one. Covid was always going to be an excuse wasn;t it sparky?

Whilst the natural sceptic in me would be inclined to agree with that, it isn't really measurable and doesn't correlate with the financial pain the rest of the world is feeling with Covid

Not sure anybody would ever be able to seperate the financial effects of Brexit and Covid now anyway

Whilst the natural sceptic in me would be inclined to agree with that, it isn't really measurable and doesn't correlate with the financial pain the rest of the world is feeling with Covid

Not sure anybody would ever be able to seperate the financial effects of Brexit and Covid now anyway
Probably impossible to seperate because direct comparisons with non Brexit countries have too many variables, covid and economic.

oldbaldy

LE
A reminder, again, this thread is 'What now for the EU' It is not about the rights or wrongs of the 2016 vote, what rank people are, whether they eat soup etc. If you want to discuss those things take it elsewhere.

In your heid. The company I work for is closing its London office along with others which have already closed. Not covid related.

In your heid. Brexit Pound Exchange Rate Tracker Tool - Brexit Timeline Chart 2016-2020

I'll have a pint of what you've had mind. We haven't left with a "No deal" yet either.

Get back to me when you work out under whose rules those aircraft are flying and under what rules we've been trading.

DING!

Selective sources again are we! If you're going to use a graph at least show your entire data set.

Now Don't know about you, but I get two things from that graph.
1: The trend has steadily been downwards since 1953. Thus it will mean we will never climb back up.
2: The massive dip around 85/86 was when we were in the EU...

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Since the Brexit vote you were clearly far from a Eurosceptic and it's only recently that you've claimed your whole opposition to Brexit was some wizard wheeze of a "joke", except no-one has bought that line and you've been outed as a liar who's just trying to cover up that you've made a fool of yourself in a rather monumental manner.
Instead of having the integrity and minimal guts to just say "well that's not how I expected it to go, fair enough lets see how it ends up" you've just carried on digging and making everyone believe you're an utter prat.

I assume you're offering to educate @Wordsmith in the various manners of making a fool of yourself you've practiced to perfection.

I have written somewhere on ARRSE before that I believe B_L suffers senility which he will attempt to deny if and when he remembers. It is far better now to just let him prattle on without actually putting him on Ignore.

I have written somewhere on ARRSE before that I believe B_L suffers senility which he will attempt to deny if and when he remembers. It is far better now to just let him prattle on without actually putting him on Ignore.
Precisely. Despite being one of our more passionate Remoaners, he admitted a year or so ago that he thought the EU was headed down the route of Federalism. He also said he didn't want to be part of that process or a supranational Federal state. But he's never got round to admitting he should have voted Leave. Sad. He lies a lot too.

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Your question:

Obviously democracy comes in many shades and there needs to be an opposition so disagreement is inevitable. Governments must be accountable especially when they are a gang of idiots. Yes I am in favour of democracy but look around.

When an election like the last one is full of lies, propaganda and ignorance, democracy becomes an exercise of motivating fools to grab power. Once in with a majority the lies, propaganda and ignorance continues, a vicious circle. Criticism is met by blatant denial and there is nothing anyone can do about it until it is too late.

It appears to be the kind of democracy that we are stuck with and only future historians will expose the truth...if they are allowed. Q.E.D.
That describes pretty much every election ever. The lies are from the politicians, the propoganda from their respective supporters, the ignorance from the voters who are generally too busy living their lives to spend every waking minute examining politics. That has never changed, The only thing that has is the ongoing and, frankly, tedious, histrionics of the losing side. A notable feature of democracy is that your side doesn't always win, at least try and be dignified about it.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Precisely. Despite being one of our more passionate Remoaners, he admitted a year or so ago that he thought the EU was headed down the route of Federalism. He also said he didn't want to be part of that process or a supranational Federal state. But he's never got round to admitting he should have voted Leave. Sad. He lies a lot too.

I didn't so please stop making things up. There's a good chap.

Dread

LE
A reminder, again, this thread is 'What now for the EU' It is not about the rights or wrongs of the 2016 vote, what rank people are, whether they eat soup etc. If you want to discuss those things take it elsewhere.
I thought, excepting the wibblers and the deranged, that pretty much everyone had agreed about the future of the EU?

It's screwed.
It's debt is out of control, Putin has driven a knife into its belly with Hungary and Bulgaria loyal to Russia, and Putin can destroy Germany overnight by turning off a couple of gas taps. France (unless there is a miracle) is facing the choice of either civil war/pogroms against the 5 million Muslims living in metropolitan France, or converting to Islam (having utterly failed to integrate Muslims and other migrants into their society). Sweden, having chosen the route of appeasement to Islam is in even deeper poo. Spain, Greece, Portugal and a few others are just a few government bond issues from a catastrophic banking failure that would also bring down the French, German and Italian banking systems.

In comparison to the corruption, racial divides (and attendant racism) and incompetence in European countries, Britain appears a model of good governance and propriety; a veritable land of milk and honey.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I assume you're offering to educate @Wordsmith in the various manners of making a fool of yourself you've practiced to perfection.

Having hit 'show ignored posts' to see what Brother B_L was wibbling on about, I strongly recommend he indent the Sandhurst stores for "Humour, ex officers for the use of, industrial strength".

It appears a quality he's deficient of.

Wordsmith

Your question:

The Ancient Greeks and Romans used exactly the same tactics.
All politicians do.
Believe it or not we, the electorate, learn to ignore it.
You have obviously failed to learn.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Your question:

I presume you hit every branch of the Stupid Tree on the way down, then ate the roots for a desert...

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
More from Gove on Brexit.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...s-brussels-brexit-paying-claims-michael-gove/
British "firmness" with Brussels over Brexit is "bearing fruit" Michael Gove claimed on Monday after Michel Barnier conceded to UK conditions for restarting trade negotiations. The Government insists it will only return to the negotiating table if Mr Barnier admits that the EU, as well as Britain, must compromise to get the deal done. The EU's chief negotiator said he was ready to intensify trade talks across all subjects and on the basis of common legal texts after discussions with David Frost, the UK's top Brexit official, on Monday.

The 'no-deal it is' rhetoric does seem to have caused a change in EU attitudes. As I've said before, I think BoJo is happy with exiting on an 'Australian' basis. I think that the response from the UK to any EU concession will be "not enough". And that'll keep being repeated until the UK either gets what it wants from the EU, or exits on WTO terms.

It's difficult for the EU to threaten BoJo if indeed he is happy to walk away without a deal - as I suspect the EU is belatedly realising. As it probably is also realising that negotiating Canada Plus would have been the smart play.

Now it's going to suffer the humiliation of repeated Foxtrot Oscar's from the UK - entirely due to it's idiot negotiating strategy.

Wordsmith

More from Gove on Brexit.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...s-brussels-brexit-paying-claims-michael-gove/

The 'no-deal it is' rhetoric does seem to have caused a change in EU attitudes. As I've said before, I think BoJo is happy with exiting on an 'Australian' basis. I think that the response from the UK to any EU concession will be "not enough". And that'll keep being repeated until the UK either gets what it wants from the EU, or exits on WTO terms.

It's difficult for the EU to threaten BoJo if indeed he is happy to walk away without a deal - as I suspect the EU is belatedly realising. As it probably is also realising that negotiating Canada Plus would have been the smart play.

Now it's going to suffer the humiliation of repeated Foxtrot Oscar's from the UK - entirely due to it's idiot negotiating strategy.

Wordsmith
Fantastic isn't it.

Hoist on their petards. Many of them.

Starting with Dave's negotiation in 2015/6.

Imagine the lather that some folk are in now.

71 days to go.

"Brexit!!!, we'll be eating our pets to survive, I tell thee"

Meanwhile:

"‘UCB embarked on a downsizing initiative in which they attempted to shut down their UK operations entirely and shift everything to Belgium, only for the highly-skilled workforce to refuse to move. In the end they gave up, and so the pharmacologists have announced £1 billion of new investment on a 47-acre British campus. "