What now for the EU ?

there is a real head of steam building up in Italy.
the EU dismisses it at its peril.
The risk of the EU collapsing over the coronavirus crisis "is real," Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte warned Thursday ahead of a crunch meeting of the bloc's finance ministers.

Italy has been hit hard by Covid - 19.

Italy wants debt sharing Corona Bonds - Others are saying, no way Giuseppe.

Italy, in the very near future, has a very difficult decision to make.

Their inability to co ordinate a united response to Covid 19 has been noted.
The EU Commission would be hard put to co ordinate a drinking session in a brewery with written instructions in every EU language.

Last edited:

Stay on the burning ship, or jump over the side into stormy seas?

.....the storm will Eventually pass.

Pretty certain I have never missed an opportunity to re-post . . . .
It is to be hoped that someone within the UK BREXIT team, is pencilling-in the idea of a purely economic, simply-for-trade, "Northern Economic Community" (NEC).

The UK has always worked well with the three Scandinavian countries, to which should be included Finland - now that it has found (been allowed to find) its "own voice".

The "Visegrad Four", will be as disillusioned as anyone, finding themselves part of "The EuroSSR". Not quite, what they expected after their escape from their enforced influence of, and domination by, the Soviet’s “SSSR”

Should they wish to, on the grounds of practical, defence viability, the three Baltic States would add/complete, a geographical, coherent, whole, virtually surrounding the North Sea and the Baltic Sea.

With the remaining southern states/north Mediterranean countries; and, the three BeNeLux countries; then faced with the only alternative of the Franco-German axis, it would be interesting to speculate to which group they would all gravitate.

We ALL stay within NATO . . . obviously!
The above was (eventually) sent to Westminster, and has produced the following response . . .

NEC 1 from Gove.jpg

NEC 2 from Gove.jpg

I suppose that there are "delicate" political reasons, why the suggestion was NOT (openly) accepted . . . that the UK become the standard-bearer for those others wishing to leave the EU ;) !!

I am however, satisfied that the details contained in the above suggestion (quoted above), has actually passed over the desks of - at least - a couple of Cabinet members, and that the "seed-of-an-idea" has been planted, for the "Northern Economic Community" (NEC) . . . ;) .

Last edited:

what can possibly go wrong!

“Italy will jump by 33 percentage points to 167pc of GDP, Portugal to 146pc, Greece 219pc (disaster), Spain 126pc, and France 123pc”

Ah, but they expect les Allemands et les Anglais à payer pour cela. Oh cher les Anglais sont déjà partis.

En Anglais, Ah but they expect the Germans and the English to pay for this. Oh dear the English have already gone.

The next meeting between Macron and Merkel could be interesting.
But some on here think the EU is the dog's back wheels!

I suggest we all "wait & see".

I bet the EU is gutted now that the creation of it's own Army wasn't fast tracked.

It'll need to to go into defaulting countries to seize assets if it wants to see any of the debt repaid.

It now seems the future of the EU in not unrelated to the central character in this sketch,

what can possibly go wrong!

“Italy will jump by 33 percentage points to 167pc of GDP, Portugal to 146pc, Greece 219pc (disaster), Spain 126pc, and France 123pc”
The PIIGS are back?.

Stay on the burning ship, or jump over the side into stormy seas?

.....the storm will Eventually pass.
Poor analogy (at least in terms of you supporting your argument).
Burning ships usually end up as wrecks anyway.
Video: 13 people rescued from burning cargo ship in Sharjah | Uae ...

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I wonder how many in the totally unnecessary EU bureaucracy are now considering new careers?

Scientists for eu are currently pushing an extension to the transition period.

From a pool of 2763 people.

As UK is a net contributor (and will increasingly be so, if it hangs around 'inside'), the longer the transition period then the more UK funds will go in to an EU economic package. Yes, everyone should help -- but no, other countries shouldn't use extra UK funds as a reason for a lack of rigour in their own plans.

This keeps appearing on my Italian friends Facebook pages
1586453719390.png

They need Brotherton Lad to advise them.

Yes, everyone should help -- but no, other countries shouldn't use extra UK funds as a reason for a lack of rigour in their own plans.
The eu have been using UK funds for quite some time.

You only have to talk to some of the remainers, @45x45 on this very forum springs to mind, to realise some of them are that dense that they don't understand that eu money used in projects in the UK is actually 100% BRITISH TAX PAYERS' MONEY.

They usually get really confused when you point out that an eu project is only funded between 20-50% with this British derived eu money, with the remainder coming from the British Tax payer too.

Obviously even that 20-50% of British eu money is only given back on the proviso it's spent on what the eu want it to be spent on.

I don't think the EU is finally 'done', far too much political and financial time and money has been spent on it. I do think this will change the Commission, which is the EU's largest stumbling block. More control will move away from Brussels to MS, leaving Brussels as a coordinating, not dictating body.

There will be a huge fight over this though as the Commission are not just going to roll over. Interesting that Martin Selmyr is keeping his head very much below the parapet.
To do that would mean dismantling some of the Lisbon Treaty and a lot of verbage since. It might have been possible for an aware UK leader to have used the referendum result as a big stick, to achieve some sort of movement for reform, but that fleeting moment passed long ago. I think (or rather 'fear', as I still live over here) that the centralists will use this new crisis to strengthen the power of the centre by feeding crumbs to the edges.

Latest Threads