What now for the EU ?

What now indeed

BERLIN — “How about never — is never good for you?”

That classic putdown captures the reality of Germany’s response to repeated pleas from Mediterranean countries in recent days for the issuance of “corona bonds” (joint debt backed by all eurozone countries) to help them battle the effects of the pandemic.

And by the sounds of it, never means never.

The EU - When the sh!t hits the fan - It's every Country for themselves.

All that is needed is the final coup de grâce

What now indeed

Nah. I'm enjoying the panto.

Let's wait and see how it pans out.

What say you @Brotherton Lad. Is this the debacle you were referring to when you referred to a pantomime? Trying to guage your nuances.

Should we have stayed to reform from within?

Last edited:
And so it begins.France goes into recession.
Worst financial performance since 1945 means their economy shrank by some 6%
Quite, it must cost a fortune planting all those trees so the Germans can march in the shade

rifleair

War Hero
Scientists for eu are currently pushing an extension to the transition period.

From a pool of 2763 people.

They have a pool of people signed up for these surveys, if they keep asking the same people, they will keep getting the same result.

What now indeed

Now in the old days, they would have come running for Les Anglais to pay for it all.

And who said Brexit was a bad idea?.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
They have a pool of people signed up for these surveys, if they keep asking the same people, they will keep getting the same result.
One benefit of asking the same pool of people is changes in attitude can be monitored, but that should only be part, a small part, and much larger polls are needed for any attempt at accuracy.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I don't think the EU is finally 'done', far too much political and financial time and money has been spent on it. I do think this will change the Commission, which is the EU's largest stumbling block. More control will move away from Brussels to MS, leaving Brussels as a coordinating, not dictating body.

There will be a huge fight over this though as the Commission are not just going to roll over. Interesting that Martin Selmyr is keeping his head very much below the parapet.

Once the poor countries of the EU get it, the EU is done.
It's not just the poor countries.

In contrast to Greece, one of Europe's smallest economies, Italy and Spain are the bloc's third- and fourth-largest respectively.

If they go under, then the Euro and the Eurpean Union may never recover. Whilst many on here may cheer at the news, the consequences of that happening will have a major impact on the UK ecconomy as well.

I don't think the EU is finally 'done', far too much political and financial time and money has been spent on it. I do think this will change the Commission, which is the EU's largest stumbling block. More control will move away from Brussels to MS, leaving Brussels as a coordinating, not dictating body.

There will be a huge fight over this though as the Commission are not just going to roll over. Interesting that Martin Selmyr is keeping his head very much below the parapet.
without a truly massive cash injection and debt forgiveness, southern EUtopia is finished,

I'm really glad that we sent that useless melt 'Call-Me-Dave' and Theresa 'The Appeaser' to try and reform this clusterfuck.

Better off reforming from within, my arse. We get to laugh from the cliffs of Dover, rather than being stood on the sinking ship, pouring all of our money into the pockets of those who wouldn't think twice before destroying Britain.

Schadenfreude indeed.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
He resigned in August 2019 and was sent packing / demoted to be the EU's Representative in Austria.
Ty, I missed that, must have been in the EUphoria over Boris and his fight against the Speaker!

He resigned in August 2019 and was sent packing / demoted to be the EU's Representative in Austria.
Yep.

He nailed his colours so firmly to Junker's mast that he couldn't continue once JC left the top job. Strangely he didn't see this coming...

Personally, I always felt that the eu missed a trick.

It was suspected that JC had been a little underhanded, first maneuvering 'his man' into the deputy slot, and then announcing the imminent retirement of his immediate superior. Quite why the eu were allowing someone that they didn't want in the top slot to take the deputy slot is beyond me, another example of the sheer stupidity and politicking of the eu perhaps?

Anyway, at the height of the indignation about JC and his beast's actions JC offered to resign... quite why the eu didn't grab the chance to get rid of arguably the most toxic individual in the whole dung pile is again beyond me. Sheer stupidity and politicking again?

I wonder who will be next.
I would suggest that whoever was responsible for this cartoon, had it about right . . .

87429237_2776139332445533_7498942693280579584_n.png

After the UK . . . the Czech Republic, and Greece.

Followed CLOSELY by, Poland (and the rest of the "VISEGRAD FOUR"), Bulgaria, and Austria !!

I imagine, France and Germany, will still be stood there . . . staring at each other . . . wondering why there is a draught in the room, and not realising that after everyone else has left, no-one shut the door behind them !! ;) .

Last edited:
I would suggest that whoever was responsible for this cartoon, had it about right . . .

View attachment 464027

After the UK . . . the Czech Republic, and Greece.

Followed CLOSELY by, Poland (and the rest of the "VISEGRAD FOUR"), Bulgaria, and Austria !!

I imagine, France and Germany, still stood there . . . staring at each other . . . wondering why there is a draught in the room, and not realising that after everyone else left, no-one shut the door behind them !! ;) .
“ ‘ang on ...” ‘The Italian Job’ ending springs to mind.

Latest Threads