Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Brexit needs to be cancelled immediately...

Thousands of UK firms may need an EU office
(strangely, the only thing opened up to ‘Have Your Say’)

The article could easily have been headlined,
Thousands of EU firms may need to set up a UK office
but of course, it doesn’t fit the BBC Projekt Fear modus operandi.

I note the BBC does not mention lots of German businesses now refuse point blank to trade with UK customers.

’Kein Versand Nacht Grossbritannien’

civvy

Old-Salt
And, as mentioned before, the EU doesn’t have the standing to punt this (or any) case to the ICJ.
Even it was somehow finessed by persuading a MS to do it - and that’s doubtful - and the ICJ somehow found against the UK (again doubtful) , the only body able to assert that judgement is the Security Council, where the EU only has extended observer status and no vote, while the UK has a permanent seat and a veto.

ETA: And that veto card could be played even if another EU MS (including France) brought the case against the UK to the ICJ.

I'm curious. Since the EU is not a sovereign state are any of the treaties signed by the EU valid / enforcable under "international law".

I note the BBC does not mention lots of German businesses now refuse point blank to trade with UK customers.

Except of course BMW, Merc, Volks. But that won't be a problem. :mrgreen: . Destination may become different, but they delivery system will remain in place. I noted the Scots chap representing Germany was saying "....competition with China where necessary."
Implies that they are quite happy with Chinese domination and Covid of course. Best Export China's made so far.

Now deploy the foreign aid budget to grease the wheels of wider diplomacy and we’ll be cooking with gas.
I had not really thought much beyond 01 JAN 2021 . . . . but, YES!! . . . beyond then, dealings with (what will remain of) the EU, will be the responsibility of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office :) !!

I'm curious. Since the EU is not a sovereign state are any of the treaties signed by the EU valid / enforcable under "international law".
In a roundabout way yes. Because the CM has ratified EU policy, They have agreed that the EU could sign on their behalf, which makes them essentially bi lateral agreements signed by an intermediary. AIUI, as ever stand to be corrected. However my take is that even if the EU comes to no agreement with us, it does not prevent us from signing individual agreements or perpetuating existing agreements. If the EU were to try and prevent that, it would be usurping member states sovereignty-which of course they want states to retain- which makes a complete nonsense of the situation.

I had not really thought much beyond 01 JAN 2021 . . . . but, YES!! . . . beyond then, dealings with (what will remain of) the EU, will be the responsibility of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Developmente Office :) !!

It’s a big aid budget, the EU would call it “development funding”, subject to political conditions, as ours should be when directed to individual MS.

It is, after all, exactly what the EU has been doing for decades.

Inasmuch as the EU, qua EU, has no power to bring a case to the ICJ, no, but the individual MS can. See @LeoRoverman ’s post.
The more I think about - and I’ve obviously been a bit slow - this may explain the ‘invention’ of the ECJ and the EU’s insistence on the ECJ being the legal forum.
Obviously open to correction.

oldbaldy

LE
It’s a big aid budget, the EU would call it “development funding”, subject to political conditions, as ours should be when directed to individual MS.

I believe about 10% of the UK aid budget is spent by the EU. Something else they are not goig to get.

Oyibo

LE

I rather like the idea of the UK paying to tarmac a few short stretches of road in poorer EU countries and plastering the area with Union Jacks.

We could follow the EU's example in many African countries and make the work of absolutely f*ck all use to the locals as well.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Your somewhat colourful analogy falls down on the fact the UK is doing nothing that is illegal in the first place.

Absolutely, in the same way as gatherings of more than six are illegal, unless the intention is to break international law in a narrow and specific way.

Except of course BMW, Merc, Volks. But that won't be a problem. :mrgreen: . Destination may become different, but they delivery system will remain in place. I noted the Scots chap representing Germany was saying "....competition with China where necessary."
Implies that they are quite happy with Chinese domination and Covid of course. Best Export China's made so far.

I had reason to order a new diff gear set for my a Triumph from a German vendor....
utterly painful experience. IBAN transfer, faxes, no ability to do electronic payments.
most of Europe is the same, very hard to do business with, little interest in e commerce, let alone cross border trade.

meanwhile, I can order parts online from LA, pay online, and have them with me in 24 hours.
even Japanese vendors are fairly painless to deal with.

They do? I've bought items direct from 3 German businesses in the last couple of months without any issue.

I rather like the idea of the UK paying to tarmac a few short stretches of road in poorer EU countries and plastering the area with Union Jacks.

We could follow the EU's example in many African countries and make the work of absolutely f*ck all use to the locals as well.

Better still why not use the Chinese model? Once the UK lands the contract, then bring in your own workforce so that the money is recirculated to UK industries.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
In the long term, which is the more important to the future of the UK? Covid is an aberration which, with luck and good international medical research, will be conquered.
Brexit and its aftermath is existential .
Yes, the naysayers and MSM have a hard-on for bringing down Boris and his team ‘cos Boris, but it seems to me that from the GE, he and the gang did an appreciation and laid out their priorities and responsibilities.
Then came Covid and, I’m sure, there would have been a WTF moment or three around the Cabinet table.
Brexit and its aftermath was not put on hold - why do I also sense the hand of JRM quietly in the background on that aspect, together with La Truss and her gang having free rein out of sight of the MSM.
Covid had to be dealt with on the hoof, as in every other country. Cummings, his trip up north: a distraction, nothing more, played up to the max by the MSM.
Errors in communicating Covid measures? Yes, admit them, make changes as required, take the lumps from the MSM, and move on .
‘Liz, everything taking an even strain at your end? Good, carry on.
‘Frosty? Anything you need?’
‘Govey, have you bought new laces for your best kicking boots? You have! Excellent’

A lot of the government's problems seem attributable to responses that are (a) kneejerk and (b) uncoordinated. And this is where they've shot themselves in the foot. Had they said "We will review the measures in place once a month and have a Commons debate on any changes, the worst of the problems would have been avoided. The changes would have been more measured and, if subjected to debate, might have resulted in dubious decisions being exposed before they came into force.

The latest headache (soon to be reversed, I expect) is the 10 o'clock pub curfew, which doesn't seem to be have been brought in after first carrying out due analysis of the impact - and largely seems to have been done as soundbite politics. The TV images of people coming out of the pubs at 10 and milling round in big crowds on the pavements outside were a first class PR disaster for the government.

Wordsmith

Don't forget plenty of signs along the way proudly proclaiming this was paid for by the UK

Latest Threads