Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Opinion pierce in the Telegraph from a couple of lawyers - including a QC.

First, there is no actual means by which an ECJ judgment can be enforced against a sovereign state which defies it. Secondly, there are credible international law arguments that the UK’s obligations under the WA and its Protocol as a whole - including the egregious and one-sided ECJ jurisdiction clauses - have been vitiated by the EU’s bad faith behaviour over the course of the negotiations.

So basically the EU can achieve the square root of fornicate all.

I doubt the EU will push this to the point where it's shown the emperor has no clothes - it won't want to see it made embarrassingly clear the ECJ is toothless outside of the EU.

Wordsmith

ACAB

LE
The Liberal Undemocrats have 11 seats in the Commons yet 89 in the Lords.

I think they might be a tad over represented in the HoL.

Opinion pierce in the Telegraph from a couple of lawyers - including a QC.

So basically the EU can achieve the square root of fornicate all.

I doubt the EU will push this to the point where it's shown the emperor has no clothes - it won't want to see it made embarrassingly clear the ECJ is toothless outside of the EU.

Wordsmith
And, as mentioned before, the EU doesn’t have the standing to punt this (or any) case to the ICJ.
Even it was somehow finessed by persuading a MS to do it - and that’s doubtful - and the ICJ somehow found against the UK (again doubtful) , the only body able to assert that judgement is the Security Council, where the EU only has extended observer status and no vote, while the UK has a permanent seat and a veto.

ETA: And that veto card could be played even if another EU MS (including France) brought the case against the UK to the ICJ.

Last edited:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
And, as mentioned before, the EU doesn’t have the standing to punt this (or any) case to the ICJ.
Even it was somehow finessed by persuading a MS to do it - and that’s doubtful - and the ICJ somehow found against the UK (again doubtful) , the only body able to assert that judgement is the Security Council, where the EU only has extended observer status and no vote, while the UK has a veto.

Which is why I say BoJo is like the curates egg - he's scoring A+ in dealing with the EU, D- in dealing with Covid 19.

Wordsmith

Which is why I say BoJo is like the curates egg - he's scoring A+ in dealing with the EU, D- in dealing with Covid 19.

Wordsmith
I don’t necessarily agree with your Covid assessment.
I have to admit, though, I’m looking at the Covid side as an outside observer and comparing the UK’s actions (including the devolved Assemblies) to CH, where I now live, France (6km from home to the border) and Italy.

Wordsmith
In the long term, which is the more important to the future of the UK? Covid is an aberration which, with luck and good international medical research, will be conquered.
Brexit and its aftermath is existential .
Yes, the naysayers and MSM have a hard-on for bringing down Boris and his team ‘cos Boris, but it seems to me that from the GE, he and the gang did an appreciation and laid out their priorities and responsibilities.
Then came Covid and, I’m sure, there would have been a WTF moment or three around the Cabinet table.
Brexit and its aftermath was not put on hold - why do I also sense the hand of JRM quietly in the background on that aspect, together with La Truss and her gang having free rein out of sight of the MSM.
Covid had to be dealt with on the hoof, as in every other country. Cummings, his trip up north: a distraction, nothing more, played up to the max by the MSM.
Errors in communicating Covid measures? Yes, admit them, make changes as required, take the lumps from the MSM, and move on .
‘Liz, everything taking an even strain at your end? Good, carry on.
‘Frosty? Anything you need?’
‘Govey, have you bought new laces for your best kicking boots? You have! Excellent’

oldbaldy

LE
Interesting opinion piece to concentrate minds in Brussels:

As has been noted, the UK has enough ammunition to fire straight back at the EU, should the need arise.

IMO, the EU had no option but to shoot their bolt too early, for the following reasons:

1. It is a negotiating tactic without a doubt.

2. If WTO is reverted to on 31 Dec, the WA becomes null and void, including every part of it pertaining to the ECJ.

3. The EU have long used the ECJ as a threat to keep others in line. Crying shame the UK have poked them a finger.

4. The EU, for far too long, have got used to the idea that others will capitulate to them. They are still butthurt ( and possibly looking for revenge ) because the UK have said do one.

5. It is the EU interfering in someone else's Politics ( Which is apparently something they never do :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

A simple youtube trawl by a competent legal eagle would result in the EU being laughed out of Court, for the declarations made by supposed EU head sheds. Juncker, Verhoftwat and Barnier just for starters.

Poor wee lambs are still butt-hurt, let them crack on

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The other thing that this legal action may throw up is yet another cry from the EU that Brexit needs to be delayed while legal opinion is challenged in court - their court obviously.

oldbaldy

LE
The other thing that this legal action may throw up is yet another cry from the EU that Brexit needs to be delayed while legal opinion is challenged in court - their court obviously.
No can do, any delay had to be agreed by 31 July

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No can do, any delay had to be agreed by 31 July
Yeah-but, it's in the court now innit. We have to wait for their decision before we can sign any agreement!

The tears are becoming very apparent :)

oldbaldy

LE
Yeah-but, it's in the court now innit. We have to wait for their decision before we can sign any agreement!

The tears are becoming very apparent :)
The court case doesn't effect the 31 Dec date. That is fixed in law. ECJ have no power to overturn.

Brexit needs to be cancelled immediately...

Thousands of UK firms may need an EU office
(strangely, the only thing opened up to ‘Have Your Say’)

Projekt Fear HQ said:
Thousands of UK businesses may need to set up an EU presence if they want to export goods to European markets
The article could easily have been headlined,
Thousands of EU firms may need to set up a UK office
but of course, it doesn’t fit the BBC Projekt Fear modus operandi.

oldbaldy

LE
U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson will speak to European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen on Saturday afternoon to take stock of the final formal round of Brexit trade talks and to "discuss next steps," Downing Street said.

The call will come after a meeting between the U.K.'s and EU's chief negotiators, David Frost and Michel Barnier, in Brussels this morning, which will wrap up the ninth formal round of the future relationship negotiations.

Short and sweet

See Ya

Sit back and enjoy the meltdown in Sundays papers :D :D

Latest Threads