Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

UKRaider

Old-Salt
Yes, some 6 hours ago: and your point is . . . ?

This bit, which wasn't in my first post.....
I thought it was quite.....informative.

Although things aren’t quite as exciting as they seem…

Despite fanfare surrounding the announcement, this is not an uncommon process. Infractions are a common tool used by the EU and the UK has been infracted before as a Member State. Last year alone there were 800 open infringement cases across all EU Member States – on average 29 cases against each member state. What’s more each procedure takes on average 35 months to complete…

As compiled by the Commission’s own database, the top three countries for number of pending infringement proceedings are Spain, Italy, and von der Leyen’s native Germany.

Maybe she should get her own house in order before making grand statements about admonishing the UK

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I rather like the idea of the law of unintended consequences.

The EU has patently tried to hamstring the UK with an unbalanced deal. And is now threatening legal action as the UK unpicks the bobby traps in said unbalanced deal.

In 6 - 12 months time, the EU is going to ask member states to transfer yet more powers to Brussels. Given the Brexit hoo-ha and how Brussels has behaved, I suspect multiple states will block the deal to prevent them receiving the Brexit treatment if they diverge from the Brussels line..

Given that treaty change has to be unanimous, I'd said Brussels has royally fornicated it's changes of a successor to the Treaty of Lisbon.

Snigger....

Wordsmith

The EU has patently tried to hamstring the UK with an unbalanced deal. And is now threatening legal action as the UK unpicks the bobby traps in said unbalanced deal.

Wordsmith

BoJo has signed the UK up to an International Treaty, that is an unbalanced deal, and full of booby traps!

As you say, BoJo doesn't do detail!

BoJo has signed the UK up to an International Treaty, that is an unbalanced deal, and full of booby traps!

Don't worry, he is an utter cad and it won't mean a thing.

Do you think that's why the civil service has thousands of highly paid lawyers? Perhaps you can moan about them.
He's also in charge of the Air force and can't fly. What a waster.
Can't fly? Next you'll be telling us he can't pilot submarines! Oh, I see! He has skilled people to do that for him! Right, got it. He gives the directions and those who are skilled sort it out. Nice one!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

He signed up to it because he had little choice. Without it, parliament (eg labour and the Lim Dems) would not agree to a GE. Which allowed BoJo to get the GE he desperately needed.

It would not have been a shit WA had not the old Remain supporting parliament done it's best to wreck Brexit.

Wordsmth

Don't worry, he is an utter cad and it won't mean a thing.

Yeah, but he's our cad, on our side. And Frankly I'd rather have a cad whose willing to stick the knife in, and give it a twist, than some tit fighting by Queensbury rules!

Someone once tried to explain the concept of a fair fight to me. It sounded ghastly!

The poor EU....

it’s facing a desperate problem.

on paper, it’s a superpower, but thanks to its members vetos, in reality, it’s only as powerful as it’s weakest member allows it to be.

see Cyprus stopping the EU putting Russia on a naughty step.

The EU may think it’s a superpower but, in reality, it is only a ‘legal personality’, and just an observer (albeit permanent with extended privileges but no vote) on the UN Security Council.
Not really a definition of a superpower, when your status is little more than the man in the street of any UN member nation.

This made me laugh:

France has currently got 63 legal challenges for breaking rules, Germany has 83, and god knows what the other countries have - so us with our current one (which isn't even law), is bugger all anyone is going to care about when we tell the EU to 'get fooked'.

Very similar to the Australian model. All they need now is a couple of islands with shitty living conditions for the inmates and a hostile native mob who have no compunction in topping you if you escape from the detention centre.
A bit like Millom then, I believe they put the prison there for similar reasons, there is only one road in and out and the locals are known to eat their own young!

Hmmmmm

I don't think the EU has anywhere else it could actually go.

However, I did find this

I'm still trying to work out if the WA is null & void if no deal transpires and the UK reverts to WTO.
I rather thought the WA was dependent on the the deal.

Yeah, but he's our cad, on our side. And Frankly I'd rather have a cad whose willing to stick the knife in, and give it a twist, than some tit fighting by Queensbury rules!

Someone once tried to explain the concept of a fair fight to me. It sounded ghastly!
Good guys never win a fair fight.

Broadly agree with the sentiment, but in what way has the UK violated the terms of the WA?

I don't think we have, but the EU and everyone in Government who opposes PMBJ seems to think we have.

Here is a phone number you can ring for clarification. Your welcome.

Hilbre Island, currently a bird sanctuary, although at low tide one can walk to or from it, it also occassionally disappears beneath the waves on a high tide.
So do the stupid feckers who leave it too late before walking back to the mainland....

Was that after bank cards were invented?
How else were you meant to live without a local bank?
I used to cash cheques in the BFPO.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

This time last year,I was visiting a friend in Lorraine. Whilst there, one of his friends who works at the EU in Strasbourg who commutes daily (using one of those electronic tags provided free by the EU), came into the local bar we were in. On finding out I was 'English' (a) tried out his english and (b) started into me about Brexit !

We eventually got around to N.I. and, 'The Border' ! He started going on about how we (the English) were going to set back North/South relations decades by creating a 'hard border'...again,etc !

I gave him another 5 minutes of slagging off the UK, then politely asked if he had ever been to the island of Ireland ? I then informed him that any hard border would be down to the EU's intransigence and, we (the UK) couldn't put a hard border back in place because, there had never been one in the first place.

This statement piqued a bit of interest from other members in the bar who had been listening to his diatribe, one of whom (through my friend) asked how so? I then informed them about the agreement between Ireland and the rest of the UK,signed in 1923 which allowed uninterupted travel between the 2 countries, Mr 'EU' basically called me a demented liar so, being a visitor I asked one of the people with a 'smartphone' to google it.

Lo and behold...there it was, with the phone being thrust under his nose, he quickly departed the bar, followed by some heckling. The majority of people in the area are very anti-EU anyway and, as my friend explained... this would keep the boring b*****d out of the bar for a few weeks, I then spent about an hour answering questions on the Common Travel Area agreement. :mrgreen:

It's amazing the amount of misinformation,deliberately put about by the EU minions,with some quite genuinely believing the crap !

HCL

Old-Salt
It was a sad day when the Rockall Times ceased publishing, a sterling read

View attachment 508629

The Register sold Tshirts at one time to fund a sponsored trip there.

And below a link to the latest IRA* Tshirt

*Irish Rockall Army

Latest Threads