Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Very similar to the Australian model. All they need now is a couple of islands with shitty living conditions for the inmates and a hostile native mob who have no compunction in topping you if you escape from the detention centre.

Finally, a use for the Welsh. Just need to find a spare island or two....

Barry Island?

I know , it isn't an Island any more, now go back to your sheep
Anglesey. Part built site where the replacement nuclear power station was going to go.

"The letter is the first stage of a process that could end up in the European Court of Justice. "
I think Ursula missed something

"The infringement procedure is a common tool used by the commission against member states. Last year alone there were 800 open cases. Germany had 47 pending cases, and France 34. Each procedure takes on average 35 months to complete."

Dearest Angela is missing more than a little something:
"These fundamental legal changes will necessarily affect the relationship between the UK and the European Court of Justice (ECJ): the UK will lose its right to appoint judges to the ECJ or to be a party to cases before it; UK courts will have no power or duty to refer points of EU law to the ECJ for a preliminary ruling; and the EU Commission will have no power to bring proceedings against the UK for non-compliance with its obligations under the EU treaties."

Not to mention that the UK is not in breach of any so called international law for bringing in the bill. They could be considered to be if they had to trigger a couple of the clauses in it due to the EU being an arse.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
Beat me to it.

We have violated the terms of the 'Withdrawal Agreement' and by doing so we are in breach of International Law. And the best response they come back with is a letter and a month's notice to comply....shock horror. How very dare they. PMBJ et al must be quaking in their boots.

Speaking of which, if the boot was on the other foot, and we sent them a letter threatening to put the EU on the naughty step, how do we think they would respond.

The very least they could have done was threaten us with an invasion of some kind...

Lily livered wusses the lot of them.
Broadly agree with the sentiment, but in what way has the UK violated the terms of the WA?

skeetstar

Old-Salt
Very similar to the Australian model. All they need now is a couple of islands with shitty living conditions for the inmates and a hostile native mob who have no compunction in topping you if you escape from the detention centre.

Is there an island in the Mersey? If there was that would fit the bill, if not could we make one, Boris was up for making an island in Thames for an airport, homing refugees from france until they are sent home would be a far more worthy cause.

Is there an island in the Mersey? If there was that would fit the bill, if not could we make one, Boris was up for making an island in Thames for an airport, homing refugees from france until they are sent home would be a far more worthy cause.
Hilbre Island, currently a bird sanctuary, although at low tide one can walk to or from it, it also occassionally disappears beneath the waves on a high tide.

syrup

LE
...and sharks, BIG f@@king sharks.

There was a woman attacked by a great white in Ascension a few years back.
When I was they're in 89 we fished of the he tanker but apparently as the island has now got families on it They have ramped up the shark fishing and it's brought the great whites inshore

When I was there it was a singly tour and we lived in Portacabins.
The St Helenians came up for the work at the camp
Nasa and the BBC had some people down there but there weren't many
Not sure how many are down there now but there will be some infrastructure

Theres
Is there an island in the Mersey? If there was that would fit the bill, if not could we make one
Istr, a fella who used to graze cattle on an island on Frodsham Marshes only accessible at low tide, it'd probably do,
Runcorn twinned with Sangatte.....

Dunno which one would be happier.

Eta
Could well be Hibre but that's Deeside...

Trapped between Scousers and Taffs ....

They'll be begging to go, a few dinghys rustled up and point em at Ireland.

"The letter is the first stage of a process that could end up in the European Court of Justice. "

Dearest Angela is missing more than a little something:
"These fundamental legal changes will necessarily affect the relationship between the UK and the European Court of Justice (ECJ): the UK will lose its right to appoint judges to the ECJ or to be a party to cases before it; UK courts will have no power or duty to refer points of EU law to the ECJ for a preliminary ruling; and the EU Commission will have no power to bring proceedings against the UK for non-compliance with its obligations under the EU treaties."

Not to mention that the UK is not in breach of any so called international law for bringing in the bill. They could be considered to be if they had to trigger a couple of the clauses in it due to the EU being an arse.
Notwithstanding your last para which really can not be disputed, your post would seem to remove the ECJ from the list of competent tribunals for this case.
The International Court of Arbitration is out, as that is for international trading/commercial disputes.
That leaves the ICJ in The Hague.
Whether the EU is considered a signatory by virtue of its enhanced permanent observer status (n.b. not voting member) at the UN is, I think, moot. If it is not, then the EU is ineligible to bring a case against a UN member state.
Not that it matters that much.
At the end of the day, enforcement of an ICJ judgement is devolved to the Security Council where, as we know, the EU is ineligible to be a member in its own legal personality, and where the UK, as a permanent member, has a veto.
End of case.
It would not surprise me in the slightest if Boris and his team have thought all this through to the logical conclusion - the EU is toothless.
UVdeL’s move is grandstanding for public consumption.

Notwithstanding your last para which really can not be disputed, your post would seem to remove the ECJ from the list of competent tribunals for this case.
The International Court of Arbitration is out, as that is for international trading/commercial disputes.
That leaves the ICJ in The Hague.
Whether the EU is considered a signatory by virtue of its enhanced permanent observer status (n.b. not voting member) at the UN is, I think, moot. If it is not, then the EU is ineligible to bring a case against a UN member state.
Not that it matters that much.
At the end of the day, enforcement of an ICJ judgement is devolved to the Security Council where, as we know, the EU is ineligible to be a member in its own legal personality, and where the UK, as a permanent member, has a veto.
End of case.
It would not surprise me in the slightest if Boris and his team have thought all this through to the logical conclusion - the EU is toothless.
UVdeL’s move is grandstanding for public consumption.
Since we're not a member of the EU any longer the ECJ has no jurisdiction over us. I'm hoping Gove is the one replying to the grandstanding, he has written some absolute zingers in his time :)

Yarra

Old-Salt
There was a woman attacked by a great white in Ascension a few years back.
When I was they're in 89 we fished of the he tanker but apparently as the island has now got families on it They have ramped up the shark fishing and it's brought the great whites inshore

When I was there it was a singly tour and we lived in Portacabins.
The St Helenians came up for the work at the camp
Nasa and the BBC had some people down there but there weren't many
Not sure how many are down there now but there will be some infrastructure
And it comes with its own publicly funded air bridge. ;)

Latest Threads