Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Listening to the news at lunchtime there was moaning and wailing about the state of negotiations.

Apparently both sides are still saying there are reasons for optimism. I suppose that depends on your point of view.
There can be a lot of public atmospherics around trade negotiations that have little bearing on actual progress. The only people who actually know how they are going are the people directly involved and their superiors they report to, and they aren't going to tip their hand by leaking a balanced story.

It is commonplace for some countries to feed doom and gloom predictions to the other side's press in an attempt to put pressure on them to concede on some point or other, but not follow through in practice. The EU's negotiating tactics (as distinct from their proposals) are actually very similar to how the US operates, so be prepared for the same if you start talking to the Americans.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There can be a lot of public atmospherics around trade negotiations that have little bearing on actual progress. The only people who actually know how they are going are the people directly involved and their superiors they report to, and they aren't going to tip their hand by leaking a balanced story.

It is commonplace for some countries to feed doom and gloom predictions to the other side's press in an attempt to put pressure on them to concede on some point or other, but not follow through in practice. The EU's negotiating tactics (as distinct from their proposals) are actually very similar to how the US operates, so be prepared for the same if you start talking to the Americans.
My point of view would be quite content with a clean break. Of course there are mutually beneficial deals that could be done but if the EU junta is optimistic then that’s unlikely to be a good thing.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My point of view would be quite content with a clean break. Of course there are mutually beneficial deals that could be done but if the EU junta is optimistic then that’s unlikely to be a good thing.
There will never be a clean break, the EU won't allow it. Even if we bang out with no deal and WHO rulz the EU will cling on and claim everything is theirs, even if patently it is not. Boris needs to ensure his media team are prepared to counter all the Bollox that will emanate from Brussels.

And my point would be, we can still do so, but why use the EU as intermediary when it can be done direct.

Norway and Britain have reached a bilateral agreement on fisheries, the Norwegian government said on Wednesday, before Britain leaves the European Union’s single market at the end of the year.

The framework agreement, which takes effect on Jan. 1, will govern control measures, licences and research, and also facilitates a mutual exchange of quotas and access to each other’s waters, the Norwegian government said in a statement.

I would say that this deal has now hamstrung the EU over fishing rights :) :)

In a looming head to head

Large-scale bond purchases by the European Central Bank risk encroaching on fiscal policy, which is beyond the bank’s mandate, Bundesbank President Jens Weidmann said on Wednesday, repeating his long-standing criticism of quantitative easing.

Have the ECB responded to the German Courts ruling yet ?

Germany's top court has ruled that the European Central Bank's mass bond-buying to stabilise the eurozone partly violates the German constitution.

The ruling relates to government debt worth €2.1 trillion (£2tn; $2.3tn) bought by the ECB since 2015, but not purchases in the coronavirus crisis.

In three months' time the Bundesbank could pull out of the ECB's bond purchases - that is the deadline that the judges have set for the ECB to give a valid explanation.

In a looming head to head

Have the ECB responded to the German Courts ruling yet ?

The only issue there is the ECB is not a German bank, but it is the Central bank to which Germany subscribes. Now all one needs is the ECJ to disagree with the German Constitutional court . Ring side seats please, or have I missed it.?

The only issue there is the ECB is not a German bank, but it is the Central bank to which Germany subscribes. Now all one needs is the ECJ to disagree with the German Constitutional court . Ring side seats please, or have I missed it.?

I have not seen anything that suggests that the ECB have complied with the German Court ( The 3 month deadline has passed )

If it goes to the ECJ, I don't really think it matters what they rule, it will be ringside seats and popcorn either way.

The comments above by Jens Weidmann suggests that they have not complied and he is firing another warning shot at the ECB to get their fingers out.

He, being the guy that will have to comply with the German Court and pull the Bundesbank out the programme.

What is it that you find amusing?

Well given the intelligence of his responses, most things, ooh look butterflies ..

1601468614273.png

My Bold ...

Ah Kinnock or should I post Baron Kinnock as I am sure he would prefer to be called … the man who reluctantly was ennobled in 2005 promising to reform the HoL from within … courtesy of the BBC ....

... full article ... BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Profile: Neil Kinnock ...

I am sure he is still beavering away on a daily basis … wonder how much progress he has made with reform in the last 15 years .

My bold .. about as much as he did after this classic moment of idiocy, mind you he has seriously enriched his family , courtesy of the EU

Not such good news:

Is this protectionism of the German car manufacturers or just hard nose negotiating? Or bluff?

I don't think that the EU really want to start a tariff war, especially on cars

the United Kingdom produced 1.75 million motor vehicles, exporting 800,000 of these within the European Union.

The 27 EU member states (EU27) produced 19.69 million motor vehicles in 2017 and exported 2.3 million of these to the United Kingdom

Not withstanding, Morgan is the only wholly British owned car company.

syrup

LE
I don't think that the EU really want to start a tariff war, especially on cars

Not withstanding, Morgan is the only wholly British owned car company.

It's about 3/4 of the car parts in the car being made in the EU .
Cars with parts from Japan or Ford engines from Turkey don't count which is what we wanted
Slap some tariffs on German cars and see how well that goes down offer reduced tariffs to KIA etc
I think Ford have just closed an engine plant at Brigend and I don't think fords are built here anymore
So it would work both ways on cars imported to here

Truxx

LE
Not such good news:

Is this protectionism of the German car manufacturers or just hard nose negotiating? Or bluff?
You mean like BMW who intend sourcing all their batteries from China?

They will live to regret that especially as one of the worlds largest sources of environmentally acceptable mined and refined lithium (a key battery component) will be?

Cornwall.

Latest Threads