Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Overplayed their hand. Started off by Kicking May and Robbins around the room to show they were a 600 pound gorilla compared to the 8 stone weakling that was the UK and then generated a string of bad press stories about how the EU was dictating the terms of the WA to the UK.

Had they been more subtle, they could have sneaked a less overt document through a Remain supporting parliament that would have hamstrung the UK's trade for the indefinite future and left us an EU vassal with little option but to rejoin. Having let the Tories put the poison pill through Westminster, Magic Grandpa would only have to have waited a year for the enormity of the May/Robbins f--- up to become clear and he would have been in pole position to win the resulting GE, with large swathes of the Tory vote deserting to the Brexit Party.

Thank God the EU's political pygmies had even less intellectual capacity than ours.

Wordsmith
Subtle as a Brick. The Brexit debate that was promised the day after referendum never happened. Certainly we had one side(brexit) talking about its strong affection for the nation as a sovereign entity and its feelings. The other side far too quickly adopted satire and mockery, which has never worked well when it impinges on issues of identity.

The EU throughout never understood, because it like the remainers hold the view that the member states are merely 'trans bodies' moving towards some nirvana of provincial joy, within the glories of a new jerusalem.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Subtle as a Brick. The Brexit debate that was promised the day after referendum never happened. Certainly we had one side(brexit) talking about its strong affection for the nation as a sovereign entity and its feelings. The other side far too quickly adopted satire and mockery, which has never worked well when it impinges on issues of identity.

The EU throughout never understood, because it like the remainers hold the view that the member states are merely 'trans bodies' moving towards some nirvana of provincial joy, within the glories of a new jerusalem.

I think there were also two instincts running in the EU. The first was a predatory one, in that they saw a chance to hamstring a potentially close and powerful competitor.

The second was fear the UK might set an unwanted example to the EU member states as to an alternative to the path the EU is one.

From memory, BoJo has told the EU that if not deal has been reached by the 1th October, he'll advise businesses to prepare for a no deal Brexit - there is not enough time after that date to sign a deal and then get it approved by the member states of the EU. With the added bonus that the European Parliament would probably throw its toys out of the pram and reject the deal anyway.

The Eu's worst nightmare is about to come to pass. With the UK hit by a Covid 19 recession, the UK now has little to lose by taking advantage of Brexit to make itself more competitive viv a vis the EU. If jobs are to be created, best they're created this side of the channel than that.

How did you obtain local cash?
First posting 89-92, I used to cash UK cheques at the BFPO. Second and third, the same or ATMs.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

When they first came out, I bought a brand new automatic Mercedes Vito van. It quickly developed a problem with the box, it would drop into limp home mode randomly. While the warranty was in place, they fitted two new ECUs, same fault. Once the warranty was out, they just shrugged and said I’d have to buy new ones out of my own pocket (£2k) now. It was an inherent fault and they stopped making that model of box shortly afterwards. But that couple of model years became unsaleable

I asked the RAC man while waiting another recovery, ‘what’s the Most reliable make’, he said, ‘get a Honda CRV, I only get call outs to flat battery’s to them’.

so I bought a Honda and enjoyed 152,000 trouble free miles, bought another one, and after 88,000 miles, while canning the arse off it fully loaded going from Italy to the UK in one go, managed to screw up a clutch in the now clunking auto box. expecting a huge bill as it was out of warranty, I went to the dealer with the poorly thing.

no problems, we’ll sort it.
how much?
FOC, it shouldn’t have broken

now on my 3rd one with over 100,000 trouble free miles on the clock.

Vorsprung durch technic my derrierre
One of my ex’s had a CRV. It was about 5 years old and she was thinking about a new car, went to the Porsche dealership for one of their 4X4’s, but wasn’t sure about which one - after alot of umm’ing and ahhh’ing the salesman asked if there was anything wrong with her current car or anything she wanted to change.
Nope to neither, so he very honestly suggested keeping it for a few years yet as they are basically bulletproof.

I run an MX-5 (on my third one, a Mk4). I honestly cannot say I would change it for anything - although I am going to treat the underside to prevent the rust.

I think there were also two instincts running in the EU. The first was a predatory one, in that they saw a chance to hamstring a potentially close and powerful competitor.

The second was fear the UK might set an unwanted example to the EU member states as to an alternative to the path the EU is one.

From memory, BoJo has told the EU that if not deal has been reached by the 1th October, he'll advise businesses to prepare for a no deal Brexit - there is not enough time after that date to sign a deal and then get it approved by the member states of the EU. With the added bonus that the European Parliament would probably throw its toys out of the pram and reject the deal anyway.

The Eu's worst nightmare is about to come to pass. With the UK hit by a Covid 19 recession, the UK now has little to lose by taking advantage of Brexit to make itself more competitive viv a vis the EU. If jobs are to be created, best they're created this side of the channel than that.

it does make you wonder if young Richi is being so generous with the State largesse as he knows he’s going to get the order to go RAMMING SPEED! With the full on raw meat, tooth and claw Free Market Britain experience in the next fiscal year.

HCL

Old-Salt
Says the guy who once blagged a free week at a mate's house in the biggest Brit enclave in Spain, never went anywhere else, and has now become an instant expert on all things to do with Brits abroad.
Excuse me whilst I ignore this latest sock manifestation.

Whatever chum. You clearly know what I do for my daily paella. Tell you what, if I ping you in RL as one of the several thousands of estafadores inglese currently on UC's list, there won't be many with an MBE, rest assured I'll make sure the rest of Arrse know. Can't say fairer than that. ;)

Whatever chum. You clearly know what I do for my daily paella. Tell you what, if I ping you in RL as one of the several thousands of estafadores inglese currently on UC's list, there won't be many with an MBE, rest assured I'll make sure the rest of Arrse know. Can't say fairer than that. ;)
Perhaps if you used one of your previous login names instead of hiding behind yet another sock you may have some credence.
Until then, GTF

If anything I bet it's corruption at the higher level that seems to be more likely to happen these days, banks turning a blind eye to money from corrupt regimes and drug cartels

Couldn't be further from the truth.

Banks for run with compliance "front and centre" these days, rather than being a box ticking exercise. Anything that does get through won't be the result of banks not trying. There is no "blind eye", at least for "first world" banks.....but I can't vouch for the "Panamanian People's Bank & Credit Union".

aardvark64

War Hero
Couldn't be further from the truth.

Banks for run with compliance "front and centre" these days, rather than being a box ticking exercise. Anything that does get through won't be the result of banks not trying. There is no "blind eye", at least for "first world" banks.....but I can't vouch for the "Panamanian People's Bank & Credit Union".
That assertion is very much at odds with the recent FinCEN report... Over the counter perhaps, but very much the case if shell companies are involved.

That assertion is very much at odds with the recent FinCEN report... Over the counter perhaps, but very much the case if shell companies are involved.

Not if you think about it.

The fact tha FinCEN reports are being lodged (they're actually SARs, FinCEN is the US entity charged with dealing with SRAs), shows that banks are lodging the reports. As I've said previously, once a SRA is submitted, banks are prohibited from taking further action so as not to "tip-off" a potential offender.

"Shell companies" can have legitimate uses. They're not really a red flag unless funds are being transferred between them in a circular manner.

Trust me, I lived and breathed this stuff for far too long.

Latest Threads