Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

That actually made me laugh.

You're sitting there with that triumphant "that'll teach 'im" look on your stupid face while the rest of the site is wondering how to

a. Get their personal spell on ignore.

b. Make it permanent.

its OK, I like you.:hug:

Can you point me to any of your over excited teary eyed posts about EU institutions and members breaking international law? I must have missed them and I'm sure they'll be very educational in the current circumstances

Couple of examples so you can get all worked up and say Grrrrrrrrrrr EU bad. Or not
Google is your friend and the EU is technically a fiction as well and has no power but that which it derives from the member states:-
International law is defective, compared with national law, because it has no accepted final court. It derives from no state and is therefore, in a certain sense, a fiction — though often a useful one

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Given BoJo has proven to have a big set of balls as far as Brexit is concerned, the EU are now on the horns of a dilemma. As BoJo is clearly prepared to exit on WTO terms - and will in all probability advise the UK's businesses on the 15th of next month that a no deal Brexit is now the probable outcome - the EU has painted itself into a corner and has two equally unpalatable choices.
  1. Perform a humiliating climbdown to get a trade deal
  2. Watch the UK exit on WTO terms
I suspect even if the EU climb down, they still won't get a deal. BoJo will move the goalposts again. From the UK's perspective, the best bet may be to exit on WTO terms, rapidly sign a lot of FTA's with ROW countries and let the EU finally understand that they need to sign a genuine FTA with the UK or face losing the lucrative UK market.

The entire EU negotiating strategy was based on the idea that if enough pressure was applied, the UK would roll over and play dead. That's proved to be an epic misconception.

Wordsmith
It was the right strategy from the EU point of view, they simply failed to appreciate that their Remain 5th column was recruited from The Muppet Show and advised by the Marx Brothers.

Given the hand they held, I'm still struggling to understand quite how they cocked it up so consistently and so completely; and I suspect their European masters are just as bewildered and still trying to understand how they went to the Greyhound track and ended up betting the farm on the Labrador.

oldbaldy

LE
Been racking my brains about this. First posting out of training was Lossiemouth (early 75), on arrival the clerk told me I had to have a bank account to get paid. It was BS because back then you could get still get paid cash weekly (or fortnightly), was just a PITA for all involved, much easier to get the new kids to open an account (bank was on base). Arrived at Akrotiri in Oct 77 and I have no recollection of opening a Cyprus account but I didn't get my £C paid into my hot, sticky mitt and it didn't go into my UK account so I must have. Gutersloh 83 no option but to open a German bank account, 3 different banks all in a row on base. First question after opening an account was "how much of a loan would you like?" Gutersloh (again) 90 opened account at the same bank.
In 77 I was down the other end of the island in Dhekalia, there was two banks in the SBA, STandard Chartered & Barclays, both were Cypriot branches & in the main people had their main pay into one of them & an allotment to their UK one.

Do you have to pay council tax on empty properties?
Thank F*ck for that - i can now comment on things I do actually know about without being contradicted by the sites leading expert in google fu.

Leaving it to the real experts to tell me when (and why) im wrong

Edit I see - Photex has treated us to an image of his well travelled minor road - which I would not consider minor - particuarly not in a French rural context .

That minor road is little differrent to much of the A62 (a Major road on Photex map) -
Therefore I stand by my point the roads around cherbourgh are pretty good on a par with the A routes despite not being named such and qualitively no worse than the A64 asides being dual not triple carriage.

I'm no trained gynecologist, but I know a cnut when I see one! ;)

France is très bonne, but lets look at some of the other popular ex pat haunts.
When I sold the late mothers house, the people buying it, Polish, walked in to do the business at the Solicitors office in Ireland with a suitcase full of cash… not a legal or banking eye was raised at so much cash changing hands, being deposited and moved around.

How long ago was that though, there have a myriad of changes to banking regulations over the years

If anything I bet it's corruption at the higher level that seems to be more likely to happen these days, banks turning a blind eye to money from corrupt regimes and drug cartels

It was the right strategy from the EU point of view, they simply failed to appreciate that their Remain 5th column was recruited from The Muppet Show and advised by the Marx Brothers.

Given the hand they held, I'm still struggling to understand quite how they cocked it up so consistently and so completely; and I suspect their European masters are just as bewildered and still trying to understand how they went to the Greyhound track and ended up betting the farm on the Labradoodle.

Slight correction

Your 1st post presented a map and inferred poor road links as well as poor geography.

I responded by agreeing on the geography point but disagreeing with the road issue.

To which you Keep banging on that its in the wrong place - a point ive never disputed and publically agreed with several times.
At no point did you ever say - no i agree the roads are fine you missunderstood my post.

Instead As ever though youve thrown out more bollox.

Theres thousands of members of ARRSE from a broad range of backgrounds it stands to reason theres an expert on every subject - So why is it always you.

Armour design
Armoured doctrine
Anti Armour weaponry
Combat aircraft design
Procurement
Commercial aircraft design
Commercial aircraft operations
Helicopter design
Aircraft legislation
Aircraft maintenance
Small arms
Artillery
Naval weapons systems
Naval ship design
AEW
ASW
Virology
Criminal law
Transportation links
The state of French roads

Edit - and it now seems an expert on every UK expats - thought deeds and motivations

There is no subject you will not claim to know better than even the acknowledged site SME - telling fast jet pilots they no nothing about Aerodynamics ring a bell, Tankies and armoured Inf they dont know how their kit works.

I assume when Challenger is upgraded you will be back with yet another new ID extolling the virtues of armour and why the army should have more.

Quite frankly I find your constant British - French UK built esp Bae is shit diatrabes beyond dull now - you are beyond parody - Spider at least had the excuse of being thick as 2 short planks.

What if he's right ?
Eh ?..I'll go quietly...yes that me hat....

What if he's right ?
Eh ?..I'll go quietly...yes that me hat....

He may well be on some issues and i would never claim otherwise ( FFS even im correct on occasion) There are a few though where he has absolutely no idea because what Wiki / popular opinion says and whats the reality differ

Last edited:

Given the hand they held, I'm still struggling to understand quite how they cocked it up so consistently and so completely; and I suspect their European masters are just as bewildered and still trying to understand how they went to the Greyhound track and ended up betting the farm on the Labrador.

I was in Europa the day the Referendum result was announced. It was interesting to see the reaction of the Germans in particular - they were simply stunned we would do something so 'illogical'.
The question was much the same ' Why do you hate Europe'?
They simply couldn't comprehend the difference between hating the political entity, but having no problem with the geographical entity.
All a bit Eine Reich, Eine Volk…

He may well be on some issues and i would never claim otherwise ( FFS even im correct on occasion) There are a few though where he has absolutely know idea because what Wiki / popular opinion says and whats the reality differ

There's so much "real" knowledge here as in peeps who have the experience and are SMEs in their own right, listening watch is best way forward if you want to learn.

I was in Europa the day the Referendum result was announced. It was interesting to see the reaction of the Germans in particular - they were simply stunned we would do something so 'illogical'.
The question was much the same ' Why do you hate Europe'?
They simply couldn't comprehend the difference between hating the political entity, but having no problem with the geographical entity.
All a bit Eine Reich, Eine Volk…
I had the same from French colleagues. I was stupid, because I lived in a country that had rejected the EU. It helped to underline that for them, the EU was France. I said this to them, but then added, 'for us also, the EU is France. Now do you understand?'

It didn't help.

51fAxLl0fGL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Know nothing dick stick his head over the parapet.

Tell me, those who own property in UK and have to pay taxes on rental income to UK HMRC. If no UK account, will HMRC be able, or even allowed to, take the money from foreign accounts? Whoever rents the property will have to pay it into a foreign account if they're allowed to.

Or in periods the property isn't rented, how do they pay the council tax, the utility bills? Start shoving 10 euro notes down the telephone?
Of how about those who run online businesses from somewhere in Europe? How do they pay taxes or, if no passporting because the ever so competent UK negotiators forgot to bring the matter up, pay bills?

Banks have virtually got rid of cheques, not sure they'd like to see wads of them start appearing again.

I use a UK bank account because it's handy if I want to buy something from a UK company. I expect Amazon will still do it but others won't.
Guess my business will have to go to EU companies now. Along with many others.

What on earth are you babbling about? I do business on five continents and have done for over a decade. I have no difficulty being either paid or paying people and nor have I always been paid exclusively in Sterling. For part of a tribe that bangs on about 'Little Englanders' ad nauseam, you don't half seem terrified by the trivia of globalism.

The Silent Majority - it may well be a mass of leaderless peasants, but give us a patriotic standard to rally around and we are mighty.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

Overplayed their hand. Started off by Kicking May and Robbins around the room to show they were a 600 pound gorilla compared to the 8 stone weakling that was the UK and then generated a string of bad press stories about how the EU was dictating the terms of the WA to the UK.

Had they been more subtle, they could have sneaked a less overt document through a Remain supporting parliament that would have hamstrung the UK's trade for the indefinite future and left us an EU vassal with little option but to rejoin. Having let the Tories put the poison pill through Westminster, Magic Grandpa would only have to have waited a year for the enormity of the May/Robbins f--- up to become clear and he would have been in pole position to win the resulting GE, with large swathes of the Tory vote deserting to the Brexit Party.

Thank God the EU's political pygmies had even less intellectual capacity than ours.

Wordsmith

Actingunpaid

Old-Salt
I don't think it is/was compulsory; at least outside Germany. Well, I know it wasn't because I never had a foreign bank account on my first 2 overseas postings. I did for the Netherlands but only because I wanted phone, internet, etc and that was the route to go down.
Long before internet days mate,mid-70's.Saw my first computer at SHAPE,big as Starship Enterprise control room,so different times.

Always had a local account (e.g. Volksbank in the Reich,Societe Generale in Belgoonland) which was compulsory for your wages to go in,but I think you could make an allotment to a UK account.It was something we had to do on posting to get your wages.
Not so sure about that? With two postings to the Fatherland and one to Cyprus under my belt, I never opened a local account.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Not so sure about that? With two postings to the Fatherland and one to Cyprus under my belt, I never opened a local account.

In the days before ATM's could be used worldwide

A posting of 2 years and above, local bank account

2 year residential NI tour, pay office would cash cheques from a UK mainland bank account.

4 month NI tour, cash payments

6 month posting / attachment, pay office would cash cheques or pay in cash, balance going to main account

That's how I remember it anyway

How did you get paid?

Latest Threads