Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Actingunpaid

Old-Salt
Know nothing dick stick his head over the parapet.

Tell me, those who own property in UK and have to pay taxes on rental income to UK HMRC. If no UK account, will HMRC be able, or even allowed to, take the money from foreign accounts? Whoever rents the property will have to pay it into a foreign account if they're allowed to.

Or in periods the property isn't rented, how do they pay the council tax, the utility bills? Start shoving 10 euro notes down the telephone?
Of how about those who run online businesses from somewhere in Europe? How do they pay taxes or, if no passporting because the ever so competent UK negotiators forgot to bring the matter up, pay bills?

Banks have virtually got rid of cheques, not sure they'd like to see wads of them start appearing again.

I use a UK bank account because it's handy if I want to buy something from a UK company. I expect Amazon will still do it but others won't.
Guess my business will have to go to EU companies now. Along with many others.
Still living in the last century?Never heard of internet payments,bank transfers,people buying stuff from other countries,even outside the Evil Empire,without any problems.Life is just so hard when you have lost any volition to think for yourself,isn't it?:lol::lol::lol:

HCL

Old-Salt
I guess UK property owners can use the property address in order to validate a UK bank account.

Otherwise, I assume that Brits resident in the EU will have to do what other non-UK residents have to do, and open an offshore or non-resident account with a UK bank.

E.g. I have Lloyds offshore accounts, and these operate in nearly the same way as UK high street accounts - internet banking, DDs/SOs, bank card, ATMs, etc. The Sterling offshore account appears alongside the UK Sterling accounts when you log onto internet banking, so direct cash transfers, etc. Oh, and HMRC has full access anyway...

I note that several UK banks are not closing EU accounts, so this appears to be a commercial decision and not a regulatory block.

To be fair, I think a lot of Brit expats in the EU need to square away their status and future plans. Do they consider themselves settled immigrants in an EU country, or are they British subjects on extended holiday in a foreign country? Either way, legal status and liabilities have to be regularised - don't want a whitey Windrush in the future.

Again, much of this pre-dates Brexit; vide those who live abroad for decades, yet still expect to return to UK when they need NHS and old age care. At least the current generation of "free movement" expats have been handed settlement guarantees by Britain and the EU.

You wouldn't believe the fun and games to be had with the lying, cheating, thieving, ex-pat fraudsters trying to fiddle the DWP. As I don't have one of those false-flag internet thingy's I can't share and I need my job. They're not nearly as bad some immigrant groups, in fact they're worse because they believe themselves to be entitled to rip off the tax payer because they once lived here (and even then most were cash in handsters on the VAT dodge). UC has made it even easier for some of these scum to steal from the system, all it take is an UK adddress (not going to detail how it's done. Sorry.) Of course, none of our ex-pat members would know any like that nor would they mix with them either, would he?

Know nothing dick stick his head over the parapet.

Tell me, those who own property in UK and have to pay taxes on rental income to UK HMRC. If no UK account, will HMRC be able, or even allowed to, take the money from foreign accounts? Whoever rents the property will have to pay it into a foreign account if they're allowed to.

Or in periods the property isn't rented, how do they pay the council tax, the utility bills? Start shoving 10 euro notes down the telephone?
Of how about those who run online businesses from somewhere in Europe? How do they pay taxes or, if no passporting because the ever so competent UK negotiators forgot to bring the matter up, pay bills?

Banks have virtually got rid of cheques, not sure they'd like to see wads of them start appearing again.

I use a UK bank account because it's handy if I want to buy something from a UK company. I expect Amazon will still do it but others won't.
Guess my business will have to go to EU companies now. Along with many others.

oh The huge manatee!

all those benefits double dipping expats on the Costa will no longer be able to pretend they live in England while living on the Costas.
oh dear, now they’ll be taxed in Spain and Britain, won’t be able to missuse the NHS they are not entitled to use, will loose their winter fuel and motability payments, and will have to pay Spanish medical insurance.

Pardon me while I laugh my socks off at the faux Rich Costa expats soon to be very out of pocket.

Alamo

LE
Always had a local account (e.g. Volksbank in the Reich,Societe Generale in Belgoonland) which was compulsory for your wages to go in,but I think you could make an allotment to a UK account.It was something we had to do on posting to get your wages.
I don't think it is/was compulsory; at least outside Germany. Well, I know it wasn't because I never had a foreign bank account on my first 2 overseas postings. I did for the Netherlands but only because I wanted phone, internet, etc and that was the route to go down.

I don't think it is/was compulsory; at least outside Germany. Well, I know it wasn't because I never had a foreign bank account on my first 2 overseas postings. I did for the Netherlands but only because I wanted phone, internet, etc and that was the route to go down.
Been racking my brains about this. First posting out of training was Lossiemouth (early 75), on arrival the clerk told me I had to have a bank account to get paid. It was BS because back then you could get still get paid cash weekly (or fortnightly), was just a PITA for all involved, much easier to get the new kids to open an account (bank was on base). Arrived at Akrotiri in Oct 77 and I have no recollection of opening a Cyprus account but I didn't get my £C paid into my hot, sticky mitt and it didn't go into my UK account so I must have. Gutersloh 83 no option but to open a German bank account, 3 different banks all in a row on base. First question after opening an account was "how much of a loan would you like?" Gutersloh (again) 90 opened account at the same bank.

You wouldn't believe the fun and games to be had with the lying, cheating, thieving, ex-pat fraudsters trying to fiddle the DWP. As I don't have one of those false-flag internet thingy's I can't share and I need my job. They're not nearly as bad some immigrant groups, in fact they're worse because they believe themselves to be entitled to rip off the tax payer because they once lived here (and even then most were cash in handsters on the VAT dodge). UC has made it even easier for some of these scum to steal from the system, all it take is an UK adddress (not going to detail how it's done. Sorry.) Of course, none of our ex-pat members would know any like that nor would they mix with them either, would he?

Says the guy who once blagged a free week at a mate's house in the biggest Brit enclave in Spain, never went anywhere else, and has now become an instant expert on all things to do with Brits abroad.
Excuse me whilst I ignore this latest sock manifestation.

Alamo

LE
Gutersloh 83 no option but to open a German bank account
I understand that was the SOP for Germany tours, I wonder how it could have been 'no option' though? I could perhaps understand for the pads who may have household contracts, but not for singlies; after all Cash Machines existed by then and this was pre-mobile phones and internet.

That said, it was the route to market for the tax free car circus wasn't it.

I understand that was the SOP for Germany tours, I wonder how it could have been 'no option' though? I could perhaps understand for the pads who may have household contracts, but not for singlies; after all Cash Machines existed by then and this was pre-mobile phones and internet.

That said, it was the route to market for the tax free car circus wasn't it.
Yea olde Pay Parade had long gone by then, you had to have a bank account. Lots of ATMs in Germany but you couldn't use a UK account/card to withdraw money without some kind of 'special arrangement', not like nowadays. Yes it was the way to transform your LOA into a nice shiny tax free car ;-)

'Eurocheques' (No nothing to do with the Euro)
Remember them? What a pain in the arrse they were. During my time in BAOR, I recall that you could only use your bank card in the bank that issued it. Great until you go on holiday to the South of the country where there are no fecking Volksbanks.....or there we'rent back then.

Being a bit slow here. I regularly but stuff from EU and US and use PayPal or credit card.
What's the issue with paying for goods and services via those means ?
Is for direct debits etc ? Apologies if it's been pointed out.

It’s important if you are a benefit cheating expat NOT to have a foreign account as your main account, after all, HMG/DWP might join the dots!

You retain your UK account, registered at a UK address, and have all moneys paid into that, then write a cheque to deposit spending money in your Costa Bank that’s linked to your Costa residence.

It’s important if you are a benefit cheating expat NOT to have a foreign account as your main account, after all, HMG/DWP might join the dots!

You retain your UK account, registered at a UK address, and have all moneys paid into that, then write a cheque to deposit spending money in your Costa Bank that’s linked to your Costa residence.
I know I'm an old duffer but I hadn't connected the dots! I have wondered why some 'British' people who live abroad and have done for decades were making such a song & dance about Brexit. There is some old biddy in Portugal in particular who was absolutely losing the plot over it. Now it's all made clear, nothing to do with sovereignty blah blah it's all to do with the usual human motivating factor, money. Greedy barstewards.

I know I'm an old duffer but I hadn't connected the dots! I have wondered why some 'British' people who live abroad and have done for decades were making such a song & dance about Brexit. There is some old biddy in Portugal in particular who was absolutely losing the plot over it. Now it's all made clear, nothing to do with sovereignty blah blah it's all to do with the usual human motivating factor, money. Greedy barstewards.

sell house in UK, ’move in with daughter/son’, register with GP, put name on electoral register, claim every (ideally disability too) benefit under the sun.
buy place in Spain/Portugal, live a cash lifestyle, freeload off their system (I’m a holidaymaker, EHIC), and U.K., (’m a resident, NHS!) - you can see the Spanish registered cars in the hospital car park in Pompey.

its been a great UK taxpayer funded new retired life in the sun scam for decades.

For the majority of routes it is a day to far west when you come off the boat, same again going back

HGV's cost a lot of money to run. I know how much. It's my day job
Every Irish haulier knows how much too

The cost will kill the irish economy stone cold dead

See My previous - Channel ports and the low countries are more likely.

I was commenting only on the road network itself (which had been intimated as being sub par) not upon the Geographic viability - which im in full agreement with.

As for caravans arriving from ROI, £10,000 per vehicle would seem a fair price of entry.
Cash only, trackers fitted and all occupants photographed, fingerprinted and DNA'd.
Not forgetting signing a permanently deported and barred from future entry for life form following even the most minor infraction.

Can we not just put them on trains direct to their destination

See My previous - Channel ports and the low countries are more likely.

I was commenting only on the road network itself (which had been intimated as being sub par) not upon the Geographic viability - which im in full agreement with.

for a truck trying to get north or north east, it’s very sub par up the Channel, it’s not an easy drive, lots of route changes and will add a days driving to Calais.

sell house in UK, ’move in with daughter/son’, register with GP, put name on electoral register, claim every (ideally disability too) benefit under the sun.
buy place in Spain/Portugal, live a cash lifestyle, freeload off their system (I’m a holidaymaker, EHIC), and U.K., (’m a resident, NHS!) - you can see the Spanish registered cars in the hospital car park in Pompey.

its been a great UK taxpayer funded new retired life in the sun scam for decades.
I'm clearly very dumb and foolish. When I worked in Dubai for 4+ years a couple of years ago I deregistered with my Dr and didn't use the NHS when back for holidays (although I had a very nice company medical coverage).

Says the guy who once blagged a free week at a mate's house in the biggest Brit enclave in Spain, never went anywhere else, and has now become an instant expert on all things to do with Brits abroad.

Well, I've lived and worked in the UK, Japan, France, US, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia. I have a house in France. I now live in Australia.

I have opened and closed bank accounts in all jurisdictions, with my main account being in the UK. It's a multi-currency account, and has acted as a conduit for all manner of transactions.

There are no restrictions on you opening a French bank account, and you might want to consider a multi-currency account as it would serve your purposes for holding both GBP and Euros.

You appear, however, to be disporportionately concerned about even the most mundance admin requirements. You're either making a fatuous point of no merit, or you're terminally lazy.

Latest Threads