Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

oldbaldy

LE
Pompey docks are only 15 minutes away, but rather than take the ‘convenient’ crossing, I drive the two hours to Dover and le Tunnel, rather than 7 hours in a boat and the long arduous part toll haul up the channel coast to Calais.

Despite what too many in Ireland fondly imagine, Cork, Waterford, Rosslare to Brittany, Cherbourg is not a practical option for umpteen thousands trucks going to and from Ireland to NW and Central Europe. I don’t think Cherbourg has much Spare capacity anyway.
we already get some Irish trucks through Pompey, but they are heading into Western France.

Felixstowe has an upgraded linkspan coming on stream soon for DFDS to use for the Low Countries & I'm sure Stena can put more capisity on Harwich-Hook if needed. Nearly all the roro at Felixstowe is unaccompanied though.

I might be a few years out of date.
But when I drove fridges to the continent and heading for benelux countries we had to buy daily road tax which had to be displayed on w/screen at the Dover checkin. Back then it was about a fiver a day.
Would it not solve the roi using our roads by just making them pay daily road tax?
Nobody complained when the benelux countries charged us.
Vote for me and I'll set you free.

Felixstowe has an upgraded linkspan coming on stream soon for DFDS to use for the Low Countries & I'm sure Stena can put more capisity on Harwich-Hook if needed. Nearly all the roro at Felixstowe is unaccompanied though.

there enough capacity on the East coast now to completely bypass the short sea crossings.
once Thames Gateway gets properly going, Dover especially will quickly decline as a port.

civvy

Old-Salt
I wont bother giving you chapter and verse on the impact on your economy of the loss of the land bridge

I've done it before and no point repeating myself

Suffice to say that if Irish hauliers lose free passage through the UK your economy is screwed
Properly and possibly irreparably screwed

Shhh.

He's whistling in the dark because he's afraid of the night. Leave him alone you bully!!

Pompey docks are only 15 minutes away, but rather than take the ‘convenient’ crossing, I drive the two hours to Dover and le Tunnel, rather than 7 hours in a boat and the long arduous part toll haul up the channel coast to Calais.

Despite what too many in Ireland fondly imagine, Cork, Waterford, Rosslare to Brittany, Cherbourg is not a practical option for umpteen thousands trucks going to and from Ireland to NW and Central Europe. I don’t think Cherbourg has much Spare capacity anyway.
we already get some Irish trucks through Pompey, but they are heading into Western France.

I agree entirely regarding the Channel Tunnel.

With regard to your other bit, I think that @jagman2 and @Truxx did some maths further back in the thread regarding the cost differentials between using the UK land bridge or a ferry from the RoI to France. It wasn't pretty reading from the Irish perspective.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

But as I said theres good Dual carriageway - with the population density as low as it is there - Theres no shortage of road capacity

For the majority of routes it is a day to far west when you come off the boat, same again going back

HGV's cost a lot of money to run. I know how much. It's my day job
Every Irish haulier knows how much too

The cost will kill the irish economy stone cold dead

I might be a few years out of date.
But when I drove fridges to the continent and heading for benelux countries we had to buy daily road tax which had to be displayed on w/screen at the Dover checkin. Back then it was about a fiver a day.
Would it not solve the roi using our roads by just making them pay daily road tax?
Nobody complained when the benelux countries charged us.
Vote for me and I'll set you free.
For legit hauliers, a tenner a day would seem reasonable.
As for caravans arriving from ROI, £10,000 per vehicle would seem a fair price of entry.
Cash only, trackers fitted and all occupants photographed, fingerprinted and DNA'd.
Not forgetting signing a permanently deported and barred from future entry for life form following even the most minor infraction.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
19 hrs on a ferry to France from Ireland? You had better hope that the landbridge doesn't get shut if Cabotage rights are not negotiated satisfactorily... :grin:

I rather like the fact that if Cabotage rights aren't negotiated correctly, it's double jeopardy for the EU.
  1. As they export more to us than we export to them, mutual hinderances to lorries transport hurt them more than us.
  2. A member state's economy going down the $hitter faster that you can say a list of Crusty's verified published and peer reviewed papers...
Barnier must feel so proud of himself and his negotiating skills.

Wordsmith

Shhh.

He's whistling in the dark because he's afraid of the night. Leave him alone you bully!!
Why would I be afraid...I have all these big strapping lads being concerned for our safety on here....I feel cozy and protected, like a kid at Gary Glitter's house.

Why are you irish always whinging about the British Empire?
You were never as well off
Dublin was regarded as the second most wealthy /powerful city in the Empire.
Didn't hear you gurning too much then.
But no you decided you have a go on your own whilst still sucking on the British tit.
After ******* that up you saw another soft touch ie the EU to leech off .so you sold off all your assets . Including your right to be a country. You are but now just a eu region.you don't use your own language or currency you conduct affairs of state in a foreign language.
Partition you say? The only time ireland was united was when it was under British rule. So dry your eyes and **** off.

Why are you irish always whinging about the British Empire?
You were never as well off
Dublin was regarded as the second most wealthy /powerful city in the Empire.
Didn't hear you gurning too much then.
But no you decided you have a go on your own whilst still sucking on the British tit.
After ******* that up you saw another soft touch ie the EU to leech off .so you sold off all your assets . Including your right to be a country. You are but now just a eu region.you don't use your own language or currency you conduct affairs of state in a foreign language.
Partition you say? The only time ireland was united was when it was under British rule. So dry your eyes and **** off.
That gif was a joke about Kent...but way to be boring there old fella...

Posted a few months ago, on one of these interminable threads, but the head honcho of French Douanes at Calais reckons 90% of freight through his port will be pre-cleared before it even arrives at the port.
I prefer to trust his knowledge and experience myself.
And then the port manager himself comes out and says that if just one minute is added to checking each outbound lorry at Calais, then there will be a 42kms tailback from the port.
Daily.
That should be interesting on the two lane motorways leading north for the Belgians, Dutch and Germans.

That gif was a joke about Kent...but way to be boring there old fella...
You must be excited having a massive influx of plastic paddies coming your way in Jan. All those numpties with some tenuous link to the bog applying for a passport and burning their nice new British blue passports :cool:
I'm going to piss myself laughing when Eire leave the EU or when the EU goes tits up.

Latest Threads