Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

The EU is staring down the barrel of it's worst nightmare - a Britain free to show an alternative path to the EU and one which might prove a siren song to many of its member states.

----snip----

And the way the
Brexit is going to be a disaster for the EU.

Wordsmith
I have to say that @Wordsmith does say what I like to hear.
BUT - I wish I had his confidence that this will be the outcome, and that no last minute hurdle cases us to fall at the last fence.

With apologies to Chris de Burgh:
So deal me one for the time has come
To see who'll be the king of this place
But as he spoke, from beneath his cloak
He slipped another ace

Dread

LE
the new world order is....

in the top tier, the USA, China
in the middle tier, India, Brazil, Russia, Nigeria, the EU

its our last chance to pick a side. We can be One of the top dogs pack, or one of 2nd rate poodles getting our arses chased by the big dogs.
Really? You must be pissed out of your gourd.

India: utterly screwed by corruption, communism, street shitting and a culture that is too rapey to ever make it in the world.

Brazil: utterly corrupt and about as stable as 3 fat and drunk geordie slags in a coracle: communism, social unrest or inflation will rip the county apart within the next 20 years (again).

Russia: average age of death is continually declining as they try and drink themselves to death. Increasingly becoming an irrelevance. Of their latest tank T-14 Armata (automated turret, etc), they have less than 100: they simply cannot afford more. Their "super weapons" are cloaked in bullshit and hyped by credulous 'reporters'. When Putin dies (or is killed) the country will collapse into chaos.

Nigeria: so mired in corruption that it struggles to be a regional influence in West Africa, let alone continent-wide. When you need armed security to collect you from the airport and deliver you to your hotel/office, you know that economy isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Country will be torn apart by religious and tribal war.

The EU: bankrupt with stagnating economies and lying governments doing their utmost to hide the failure of the banking systems in Italy, France and Spain. Poland and Hungary are (in the eyes of the EU) now Russia-friendly and borderline autocracies. Romania, Cyprus, Malta and Bulgaria (amongst others) make India look like a bastion of integrity and propriety in comparison.

Edit to add: I've done business in all those countries mentioned, as well as in almost every EU country.

Russia: average age of death is continually declining as they try and drink themselves to death. Increasingly becoming an irrelevance. Of their latest tank T-14 Armata (automated turret, etc), they have less than 100: they simply cannot afford more. Their "super weapons" are cloaked in bullshit and hyped by credulous 'reporters'. When Putin dies (or is killed) the country will collapse into chaos.

I've always wondered how Russia, with an economy about the size of Spain, strikes so much fear into the west.

I've always wondered how Russia, with an economy about the size of Spain, strikes so much fear into the west.

because they have all the resources, and then some, in the world.

”Russian natural resources
Russia is one of the world’s most resource-rich countries. In 2005, the World Bank put the country in first place for total value of subsoil wealth (oil, gas, coal and minerals); a more recent estimate puts the value of the country’s natural resources at US$75.7 trillion — again, in first place. Apart from gas, oil and coal (proven reserves: 1st, 7th, 3rd place respectively; production: 1st, 3rd, 6th place), Russia is in the world’s top ten for a wide range of minerals, including iron, nickel, platinum, gold and diamonds. Natural resources have brought Russia economic wealth. The World Bank estimates that natural resource rents (calculated as production value minus costs) contributed around 18.7% of GDP in 2012 (13.9% from oil and 2.3% from gas). The impact on exports is particularly significant: in 2013, 68% of these came from oil and gas (21% petroleum products; 33% crude oil; 14% natural gas); ‘metals and precious stones’ accounted for a further 11.1%. Moreover, oil and to a lesser extent gas contribute around 50% to the federal budget (mostly extraction taxes and export duties).”

Last edited:
Really? You must be pissed out of your gourd.

India: utterly screwed by corruption, communism, street shitting and a culture that is too rapey to ever make it in the world.

Brazil: utterly corrupt and about as stable as 3 fat and drunk geordie slags in a coracle: communism, social unrest or inflation will rip the county apart within the next 20 years (again).

Nigeria: so mired in corruption that it struggles to be a regional influence in West Africa, let alone continent-wide. When you need armed security to collect you from the airport and deliver you to your hotel/office, you know that economy isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Country will be torn apart by religious and tribal war.

The EU: bankrupt with stagnating economies and lying governments doing their utmost to hide the failure of the banking systems in Italy, France and Spain. Poland and Hungary are (in the eyes of the EU) now Russia-friendly and borderline autocracies. Romania, Cyprus, Malta and Bulgaria (amongst others) make India look like a bastion of integrity and propriety in comparison.

Edit to add: I've done business in all those countries mentioned, as well as in almost every EU country.

Your fixation on ‘corruption’ rather suggests you have zero clue about how geo-political power and influence works.

Though everyone's favourite armour expert has hit on most of the answer (hydro carbons, mostly gas), Russia has used its mass in a few other areas to create client relationships that will endure a little more than ours.
A bigger challenge is its external enemy narrative and consequent willingness to be violent outside of what a rational actor might be expected to do.

Tl:dr, much like a London street alkie, though their long term future is dim, their un-reconciled anger, pigeon shouting and willingness to glass/stab anyone who looks a bit funny at them, makes even the coppers give them a wide berth.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I’m still waiting for any one remainers to come up with an overwhelmingly convincing argument for staying, ...apart from their own pockets or a desire to Britain down. Toddle pip, I’m off for a few days.

We've left. Have a nice break.

Dread

LE
which is why China is throwing so much effort at Africa.
Ethiopia is their new Ghuangzhou.
You're more than special: well done for having one more chromosome than anyone else here. If you spout shit (as you are doing) then you'll get the "dumb" button. Simple really: even a retard like you should be able to understand it. Bit pathetic that you cry over two 'dumb' tags. Why don't you show us on a doll where the nasty many touched you? You post like a twat that has read a book and watched CNN while staying in Travelodge hotels.

Corruption is one of the most crippling factors to any economy, and once endemic it is almost impossible to eliminate. Have a look at the world corruption index and see how many are in the G20 or are doing well. No matter how plentiful the natural resources, corruption destroys the economy. A couple of examples:

Nigeria: In 2014 a client of mine bought a shipment of oil from Nigeria. He paid US$55 million for a shipment from the Bonny Terminal. Who did he pay? The NNPC (the official, government owned company). He tracks the ship until it is just outside of Rotterdam where he has a tank farm waiting to receive his shipment and then the transponder of the ship is turned off and the ship no longer answers communications.

No ship. No oil. US$55 million gone.

What had happened? The Nigerian government minister for oil, Diezani Alison-Madueke, had issued new instructions to the ship. Eventually my client (I was insuring the shipment) discovered that it had unloaded at Barcelona to an unknown buyer.

In 2017 my client got his money back (he was one of the lucky ones). It is believed that Diezani Alison-Madueke stole at least US$ 6 billion and possibly US$20 billion in 5 years up to her being arrested in 2015. Result? Very few companies are willing to do business with Nigeria and trade credit and insurance have to be provided by the local market and not the international ones, thus greatly limiting growth.

South Africa: Another client of mine was selling a decommissioned power station from the USA to Mozambique. The location was to be south of Maputo (so near the SA border). The intent of the power station was to supply about 20% of output to Maputo and the rest to be sold to South Africa in order to stop the load-shedding, 'brown outs' and black outs that were crippling South African industry. The IMF and World Bank were providing the funding (project size was US$1.2 billion) as despite their usual moratorium on coal power, the necessity of preventing economic meltdown of South Africa was judged to be more important. The project failed. Why? Because ANC scum had stolen more than US$3 billion from Eskom (the South African utility company) and wouldn't be able to pay for 1 bean of electricity generated in Mozambique. Current situation: constant load-shedding and blackouts across South Africa. Result? The economy in SA is screwed and attracts next to zero foreign investors (apart from Chinese vultures). Have a look at how Caltex built up their operations in the country and then pulled out a couple of years ago for another excellent example.

Both Nigeria and South Africa are rich in natural resources, have large available workforces, and both are rendered impotent on the geo-political stage, But then I'm sure such a sage as yourself would know all this.

Last edited:
You're more than special: well done for having one more chromosome than anyone else here. If you spout shit (as you are doing) then you'll get the "dumb" button. Simple really: even a retard like you should be able to understand it. Bit pathetic that you cry over two 'dumb' tags. Why don't you show us on a doll where the nasty many touched you? You post like a twat that has read a book and watched CNN while staying in Travelodge hotels.

Corruption is one of the most crippling factors to any economy, and once endemic it is almost impossible to eliminate. Have a look at the world corruption index and see how many are in the G20 or are doing well. No matter how plentiful the natural resources, corruption destroys the economy. A couple of examples:

Nigeria: In 2014 a client of mine bought a shipment of oil from Nigeria. He paid US$55 million for a shipment from the Bonny Terminal. Who did he pay? The NNPC (the official, government owned company). He tracks the ship until it is just outside of Rotterdam where he has a tank farm waiting to receive his shipment and then the transponder of the ship is turned off and the ship no longer answers communications.

No ship. No oil. US$55 million gone.

What had happened? The Nigerian government minister for oil, Diezani Alison-Madueke, had issued new instructions to the ship. Eventually my client (I was insuring the shipment) discovered that it had unloaded at Barcelona to an unknown buyer.

In 2017 my client got his money back (he was one of the lucky ones). It is believed that Diezani Alison-Madueke stole at least US$ 6 billion and possibly US$20 billion in 5 years up to her being arrested in 2015. Result? Very few companies are willing to do business with Nigeria and trade credit and insurance have to be provided by the local market and not the international ones, thus greatly limiting growth.

South Africa: Another client of mine was selling a decommissioned power station from the USA to Mozambique. The location was to be south of Maputo (so near the SA border). The intent of the power station was to supply about 20% of output to Maputo and the rest to be sold to South Africa in order to stop the load-shedding, 'brown outs' and black outs that were crippling South African industry. The IMF and World Bank were providing the funding (project size was US$1.2 billion) as despite their usual moratorium on coal power, the necessity of preventing economic meltdown of South Africa was judged to be more important. The project failed. Why? Because ANC scum had stolen more than US$3 billion from Eskom (the South African utility company) and wouldn't be able to pay for 1 bean of electricity generated in Mozambique. Current situation: constant load-shedding and blackouts across South Africa. Result? The economy is SA is screwed and attracts next to zero foreign investors (apart from Chinese vultures). Have a look at how Caltex built up their operations in the country and then pulled out a couple of years ago for another excellent example.

Both Nigeria and South Africa are rich in natural resources, have large available workforces, and both are rendered impotent on the geo-political stage, But then I'm sure such a sage as yourself would know all this.

once again, you’ve dazzled yourself with your own lack of brilliance.

And you’re still 100% wrong.

Thank to for confirming to everyone on this site that you are a remaniac mong. Well done you. Have a cookie.

Are you Baglock?

if only all the global economic experts listened too you eh?
now, go sit in the corner and carry on counting to potato.

347F4782-4E42-4AF5-B2C3-C3815562281F.jpeg

philc

LE
More inspiring EU leadership, seems they are going to have a chin wag about the future and direction of the EU, only problem they cant agree who will lead the chin wag.

The UKs favorite person Verhofstadt was put forward most likely by himself but his services were turned down, not due to his twattnish but he is to Federalist, who knew. So we have a timetable for a conference and no candidates, no doubt new positions will be created and filled.

All aboard the gravy train.

It is the big idea to ask EU citizens how the bloc should be reshaped, but despite Commission President Ursula von der Leyen's enthusiasm to hit the start button, a behind-the-scenes contest over who should be in charge threatens to upset her plans.

Von der Leyen said Thursday that the Conference on the Future of Europe, is "almost ready to start" — months after its planned debut in spring. “It was difficult to get the conference started because of [the coronavirus pandemic], but it is absolutely necessary and we are eager to get it started,” she said.

All three EU institutions have agreed (more or less) on the scope and general outline of the conference, but an ongoing battle to find a charismatic EU figure to preside over the debates has delayed efforts to get the event off the ground. Officials say the Council's rebuke of Guy Verhofstadt, the European Parliament's candidate to lead the conference, has kicked off a leadership contest, with new names, including Alexander Stubb, a former Finnish prime minister, emerging as contenders for the prime position.