Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Dread

LE
Despite all the faux outrage about this type of thing eg the curved bannanas banned etc theres a logical reason to it.

standards of things like carrots mean that you have a fixed basis onto which you can design industrial machinery for the food industry and purchase raw materials - and automate the process
I've just read on the BBC News App that Barnier has caved on the threat to blockade GB/NI. Weirdly it has now vanished off the BBC site. Has cooking in aluminium saucepans finally caught up with me? Is there a claim against the MOD for using the mess tins I used to keep my green towel in?

Excellent point! Time to speak to the lawyers...

...or even better, have our partners speak to the lawyers while telling them that one of the few things we mention about our service was how strange the 'all-in stew' tasted when cooked in aluminium mess tins over hexamine.

Well if this is true, it's pretty desperate from the EU.

Don’t know about that, but I understand Eurostar trains will not be stopping at Ashford and Ebbsfleet until at least 2024, having stopped serving both stations due to lack of traffic because of Covid.
Edited: Correction - 2022. Source: Kent On-line.

Last edited:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Don’t know about that, but I understand Eurostar trains will not be stopping at Ashford and Ebbsfleet until at least 2024, having stopped serving both stations due to lack of traffic because of Covid.
Is that the EU trying to break a treaty between the UK and France which would be against international law? Dear me.

Saw that and chuckled. Whos trying to break international law now. Canterbury and Sangatte are bi lateral treaties with France not the EU. Brussels, I.e Belgium not the EU was the third party and I’m not even sure it was with us as the tunnel was Anglo French. I seem to recall that the Spur to Brussels from Lille was a EUropean rail agreement . there are no Belgian Controls at St Pancras, the control being Brussels midi. Not many trains for Paris stop at Lille

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

The EU is staring down the barrel of it's worst nightmare - a Britain free to show an alternative path to the EU and one which might prove a siren song to many of its member states.
  • The right to set our own laws - not the ones mandated by the EU
  • Increasing divergence from the EU's on size fits all laws
  • Reduced rules and regulations - and probably a faster growth rate as a result
  • Reduced tax rates, probably attracting investment out of the EU
  • Targeted state aid
  • Reduced illegal immigration as the UK becomes a less attractive destination for economic migrants
    • No free movement
    • No benefits on arrival
    • Rapid deportation back to place of origin
  • Points based immigration attracting the skilled and keeping out the unskilled
  • Free trade agreements with the rest of the world - and signed much faster that the EU can manage
  • Reduction on import duties on products the UK doesn't grow or produce - leading to a price fall in the shops.
The EU has also lost
  • About 15% of it's collective GDP
  • Arguably it's most effective military
  • Via the UK's participation in 5 Eyes, less intelligence passed on
  • One of the two seats it could hitherto count on in the UN security council
And the way the EU has behaved is not going to cause the UK to behave generously towards the EU from 2021 onwards.

Brexit is going to be a disaster for the EU.

Wordsmith

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The EU is staring down the barrel of it's worst nightmare - a Britain free to show an alternative path to the EU and one which might prove a siren song to many of its member states.
  • The right to set our own laws - not the ones mandated by the EU
  • Increasing divergence from the EU's on size fits all laws
  • Reduced rules and regulations - and probably a faster growth rate as a result
  • Reduced tax rates, probably attracting investment out of the EU
  • Targeted state aid
  • Reduced illegal immigration as the UK becomes a less attractive destination for economic migrants
    • No free movement
    • No benefits on arrival
    • Rapid deportation back to place of origin
  • Free trade agreements with the rest of the world - and signed much faster that the EU can manage
  • Reduction on import duties on products the UK doesn't grow or produce - leading to a price fall in the shops.
The EU has also lost
  • About 15% of it's collective GDP
  • Arguably it's most effective military
  • Via the UK's participation in 5 Eyes, less intelligence passed on
  • One of the two seats it could hitherto count on in the UN security council
And the way the EU has behaved is not going to cause the UK to behave generously towards the EU from 2021 onwards.

Brexit is going to be a disaster for the EU.

Wordsmith
As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

Yarra

Old-Salt
The "clearing house" question is quite interesting.

The EU position is that the majority of EU denominated derivatives (mostly interest rate swaps) should be cleared within the EU and the clearer should be oversighted by an EU based regulator (they've suggested the ECB).

There are a couple of problems with that:
  • Japan tried the same thing different reasons. What resulted was a vast, offshore "dark pool" of yen (for both FX and derivatives) that had more liquidity than the local market. The reason for the higher liquidity is that offshore clearing houses provide netting facilities, whereby asset and liability positions are netted, irrespective of their nature (so long as they are deemed eligible assets by the clearing house and regulator). Thus, a bank with derivative (or cash) positions in multiple currencies across multiple asset classes only needs to deal with the credit position arising from a single, netted, position in the currency of their choice. The result is that clearing yen offshore is cheaper than clearing yen onshore in Japan. For swaps, it's quite a significant number. For the EU as a whole, it would be a very significant cost to EU businesses, putting them at a further disadvantage; and
  • the EU simply does not have the regulatory competence to oversight clearing. Strange though that may sound, it's true. The most capable is BaFin (German regulator), and yet the global lead regulator for Deutsche Bank is the UK FCA (as an SEC imposed settlement requirement arising from their frequent breaches of AML law and lack of supervisory competence).

There is nothing the EU can do to prohibit UK based firms clearing Euro denominated positions, as evidenced by the Japanese experience. There is, however, a good deal the the UK can do (and, possibly, should do) to restrict EU based banks accessing clearing (i.e. apply greated supervisory oversight than EU MS domestic regulators currently apply, particularly as it relates to solvency (itself a subset of credit risk)).
Stop it, you naughty man... have you even stopped to fact-check this obvious conjecture with BL?

A less racist immigration policy which doesn't favour white majority countries; all migrants on a visa, no access to public funds and with wage restrictions.

This will be great for the working class; MAC have already said care workers will have to be paid higher wages (deservedly so) because the wage restriction will tighten the low end of the workforce and push up wages.

Labour, who supposedly are there to represent the working class never talks about this.

But they rarely talk about the working class anyway.

We will be fine, if we keep away from the annual migration.

WTF?

5BC8D07F-CCD2-4567-B751-8A8AA56E1C0D.jpeg

Latest Threads