Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Are the ECB (English and Welsh Cricket Board) really going to have oversight of EU finances? Might do a better job actually.
I think I should slip in that they looked into that, in an attempt to square it away. Unfortunately they were stumped at the prospect, so that's over.

Retires to dusty corner of the pavilion.....

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
It is in Remain Land

"In other news 5 people today left he UK to live in Europe"
Remainer "See I told you there would be a massive migration to the promised land"

I always found it slightly ironic that Remain overplayed their hand in the referendum - which contributed to them losing it.

As I've mentioned before, I campaigned on the doorstep. Many people of both the leave and remain camps thought Cameron was demeaning his office by his partisan behaviour. He would have done better to make a personal statement at the start of the campaign stating that his preference was to remain and then sat above the fray.

And then you had Osborne with his 850,000 job losses/emergency budget mantra. Most people knew that was political hyperbole. And if the chancellor was spouting obvious bollox like that, many people began to discount anything else he said as having similar provenance.

In retrospect, the Remain camp should adopt this as their theme.

1600604250134.png

Because with a less hysterical campaign they may well have won.

Wordsmith

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think I should slip in that they looked into that, in an attempt to square it away. Unfortunately they were stumped at the prospect, so that's over.

Time to bail....

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Let’s see who will own the problem in the end.
They could find themselves chained up. (I’m sure somebody will get that one.)
You'll be getting the Yardies after you!

syrup

LE
I always found it slightly ironic that Remain overplayed their hand in the referendum - which contributed to them losing it.

As I've mentioned before, I campaigned on the doorstep. Many people of both the leave and remain camps thought Cameron was demeaning his office by his partisan behaviour. He would have done better to make a personal statement at the start of the campaign stating that his preference was to remain and then sat above the fray.

And then you had Osborne with his 850,000 job losses/emergency budget mantra. Most people knew that was political hyperbole. And if the chancellor was spouting obvious bollox like that, many people began to discount anything else he said as having similar provenance.

In retrospect, the Remain camp should adopt this as their theme.

View attachment 505861
Because with a less hysterical campaign they may well have won.

Wordsmith

Don't forget his false bravado of "if we don't get the concessions we want we'll put it to a referendum"
Then 5 minutes later trying to convince us that we'd be better staying with the very people that made him have the referendum in the first place

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

You silly mid on. Take extra cover at once.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
.... possibly a right time to post this .... and with unashamed thread drift ... Johnners at his best ... all to do with Bails and getting a leg over ...

... back on thread .

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't forget his false bravado of "if we don't get the concessions we want we'll put it to a referendum"
Then 5 minutes later trying to convince us that we'd be better staying with the very people that made him have the referendum in the first place

Remain didn't learn the lessons of their defeat. Instead of trying to create the conditions for a soft Brexit - and a potential return to the EU in 5 - 10 years time, they tried to derail it. Which ironically lead to a PM whom (I suspect) is happy with a WTO exit.

I also suspect that over the next 5 - 10 years we will diverge so far from the EU's body of law that it would be near impossible for us to re-join. The EU requires that you sign up to it's body of law in its entirety. In the ensuing join/stay out referendum, all the 'stay out camp' would have to do is point that out - and list all the things we'd have to give up/sign up to.
  • If the EU becomes a federal Europe (aka the United States of Europe), I doubt we'll ever re-join - and a number of other EU states will hit the exit button at that point anyway.
  • If the euro implodes - and the day of reckoning must only be 12 - 18 months off by now - the EU may have to undergo substantial reform. Only if it reverts back to to a free trade area would be we likely to re-join.
Remain knew when we were out, we were out for decades - hence their desperation to overturn the result of the referendum.

Wordsmith

Then throwing his Teddy in the corner and resigning

Latest Threads