Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

ugly

LE
So how will that work?
Landing and processing likely to be on nearest land with processed goods shipped after, they could do what the Hull stern trawlers did in the 70’s, fish out the local quota and cross deck it to Polish factory ships for processing into cattle feed!

Landing and processing likely to be on nearest land with processed goods shipped after, they could do what the Hull stern trawlers did in the 70’s, fish out the local quota and cross deck it to Polish factory ships for processing into cattle feed!
With respect, that could cause another problem. Hostility of local fishermen. Further more that way it causes problems for importing into the EU and that would cost. They might balance the books but little profit.

With respect, that could cause another problem. Hostility of local fishermen. Further more that way it causes problems for importing into the EU and that would cost. They might balance the books but little profit.

alas, that’s exactly what’s happening.
the EU is funding and subsidising a large Predatory fishing fleet thats pillaging the oceans, many of it’s ships are on various bodies watch lists for over fishing, using the wrong nets and dumping, but the EU doesn't care.

and so, we have EU subsidised pelagic trawlers fishing out stock around the poorer, as in they can’t stop it, parts of Africa, which puts the locals out of business and causes food shortages - which causes migrations to.....Europe.

as they say - you really couldn’t make it up.

ugly

LE
Exactly the problems we had here, except it was a stab in the back by the Hull fleet

ETA it’s all about profit which keeps boats afloat

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Why else do you think papist Goa was tolerated during the Raj?

There was a slight hiatus when Spain took it over but normal service resumed when they parted company (I think with Charles II's marriage to Catherine of Braganza).

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There was a slight hiatus when Spain took it over but normal service resumed when they parted company (I think with Charles II's marriage to Catherine of Braganza).
Indeed. Portugal has some of the oldest ‘British’ expat families. All those Port wine makers who have been doing it for several hundred years.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
So if the fishing industry is so insignificant, why are the EU screaming their tits off about it? The fishing industry itself is big, our access to it is tiny. Brexit potentially changes that, it's not hard to understand.

Because the fishing industry is not evenly spread - Austria for example is totally landlocked, while the Italian fishing fleet is largely confined to the Mediterranean. It will primarily affect countries with an Atlantic or North Sea coast; Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland and Denmark.

https://britishseafishing.co.uk/brexit-and-britains-fisheries/
In 2015, EU vessels caught 683,000 tonnes (raising £484 in million revenue) in UK waters, but UK vessels caught only 111,000 tonnes (£114 million revenue) in EU Member States’ waters.
Plus:
  • 40% of Denmark’s entire fishing take comes from Britain’s territorial waters.
  • In the Celtic Sea, France gets nearly three times the British allocation of Dover sole, roughly four times more cod and five times more haddock. France has 84% of the quota for cod in the English Channel, while Britain has only 9%.
  • A single Dutch trawler the Cornelis Vrolijk, had the right to catch 23% of England’s entire fishing quota. In comparison the entire small inshore fishing fleet for the whole England is given 4% of the quota.
  • European fishermen take 173 times more herring, 45 times more whiting, 16 times more mackerel and 14 times more haddock and cod out of UK waters than British fishermen do.

The nations that would be especially hit are:

https://marinedevelopments.blog.gov.uk/2018/09/27/mmo-fisheries-statistics-2017-eez/
  • France (120,000 tonnes, £171 million)
  • Netherlands (177,000 tonnes, £92 million)
  • Denmark (237,000 tonnes, £90 million)

The UK fishing industry has been stiffed by the EU. If we regain full control over our waters, the EU loses about 575,000 tones of catch which will put many EU trawlers out of business. That almost matches the catch the UK takes in its own waters.

https://marinedevelopments.blog.gov.uk/2018/09/27/mmo-fisheries-statistics-2017-eez/
For context the UK fleet landed approximately 581,000 tonnes with a value of £811 million from UK waters in 2017.

Looking at this over-simplistically, UK fishermen could be allocated about 300,000 tons of extra catch, while still reducing the overall catch by 275,000 tons, allowing fish sticks to slowly recover.

The EU is looking at losing 10% of its current total catch of 6 million tons. Given that the EU also fishes in the Mediterranean and Baltic, I'll guess that the fishing fleets that fish in UK waters are looking at losing between 20% to 25% of their potential catch. They'll be decimated, while watching the UK fleets prosper.

In addition, the EU is - potentially - watching sustainable fishing introduced to UK waters; which in turn will put the EU under pressure to do the same. But it won't. It'll rape it own waters to keep the fishing fleets in business, which will end up with overfished areas without fish stocks.

Why is the EU screaming? Because it was doing very well indeed out of UK waters - and that is about to end.

Wordsmith

Coming soon to waters near you. Cod War 2: The Empire Strikes Back

Because the fishing industry is not evenly spread - Austria for example is totally landlocked, while the Italian fishing fleet is largely confined to the Mediterranean. It will primarily affect countries with an Atlantic or North Sea coast; Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland and Denmark.

https://britishseafishing.co.uk/brexit-and-britains-fisheries/

Plus:

The nations that would be especially hit are:

The UK fishing industry has been stiffed by the EU. If we regain full control over our waters, the EU loses about 575,000 tones of catch which will put many EU trawlers out of business. That almost matches the catch the UK takes in its own waters.

Looking at this over-simplistically, UK fishermen could be allocated about 300,000 tons of extra catch, while still reducing the overall catch by 275,000 tons, allowing fish sticks to slowly recover.

The EU is looking at losing 10% of its current total catch of 6 million tons. Given that the EU also fishes in the Mediterranean and Baltic, I'll guess that the fishing fleets that fish in UK waters are looking at losing between 20% to 25% of their potential catch. They'll be decimated, while watching the UK fleets prosper.

In addition, the EU is - potentially - watching sustainable fishing introduced to UK waters; which in turn will put the EU under pressure to do the same. But it won't. It'll rape it own waters to keep the fishing fleets in business, which will end up with overfished areas without fish stocks.

Why is the EU screaming? Because it was doing very well indeed out of UK waters - and that is about to end.

Wordsmith
Which will push the price of fish through the roof.
Eventually our trawlermen will be raking it in.

'Beijing' Biden and his pro-IRA and communist backing bunch of criminals weighs in in favour of the IRA and the EU PDR (People's Democratic Republic),

Trump, 4 more years, please!
The last time a Yank (Kenyan) poked his nose into our affairs it didn't go to well.

Give him dues though, without the USA funds the NI problem wouldn't have lasted long...cockwomble

The last time a Yank (Kenyan) poked his nose into our affairs it didn't go to well.

Give him dues though, without the USA funds the NI problem wouldn't have lasted long...cockwomble

I don't regard the democrats as good for the UK. Republicans ? Not as bad.
Just my 2p.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Lets hope there's enough vessels to patrol to do something about the boats that will chance it.

Don't need to catch them all, just at a steady enough rate to be a real deterrent. And preferably deep in what will be UK waters, so they can't plead minor navigational error.

After a number of trawlers get impounded, the number trying it on will drop off.

It would also be prudent for UK trawlers to stay well away from EU waters - Marcon in particular will be itching to impound them in retaliation.

Wordsmith

Wasn't Vindaloo a Portuguese Goan thing ?

Possible. I know the best curry I ever had was in a converted cinema in Beira, Mocambique. It was run by a Goan family and I still get hard thinking about that dinner. An excellent evening, rounded off by pissing on the chips of a load of SAAF numpties and having to pull my copilot, a veteran of Cassinga, off them before they burst into tears.

Don't need to catch them all, just at a steady enough rate to be a real deterrent. And preferably deep in what will be UK waters, so they can't plead minor navigational error.

After a number of trawlers get impounded, the number trying it on will drop off.

It would also be prudent for UK trawlers to stay well away from EU waters - Marcon in particular will be itching to impound them in retaliation.

Wordsmith
Waters around Jersey/Guernsey will be fun.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Waters around Jersey/Guernsey will be fun.

For Guernsey at least (I visit a friend a couple of times a year) I suspect local knowledge is required. There are rather a lot of rocks around the island. Even with GPS, I'd guess there's a significant risk of snagging your nets if you don't intimately know the waters.

Wordsmith

Latest Threads