Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

HCL

Old-Salt
Portugal may not be the best example
snip "During the last quarter of the 20th century, Salazar’s Portugal had become a byword for repression and backwardness. His regime was finally toppled in a coup carried out in 1974, 48 years after the one that ushered him into power."

The signal to start the coup was apparently Portugal's entry to the Euro Song Contest being performed.
(How can I remember that yet still can't find my car keys in a morning?)

That's why the Argentinians are pushing the E.U. to come in in their side and are promising unlimited fishing to the Spanish
That's going to be an F'ing long haul and not possible for the vast majority of the fishing fleets, nor will it be particularly lucrative after costs are taken into consideration.

ugly

LE
That's going to be an F'ing long haul and not possible for the vast majority of the fishing fleets, nor will it be particularly lucrative after costs are taken into consideration.
It’s not going to mean landing fish back in Spain though

Do they do the same thing with veg as they do with apples - the storage in CO2 heavy/low oxygen warehouses?

Different treatments for different veg.

Milk lines get daily dilutions of hypochlorite.
Root veg washed in solutions of similar, that's why they keep better/longer.
Vacuum cooling/packing and rapid refrigerated transport is the the main leafy salad process, prepared veg packs use nitrogen displacement as do crisps etc.

I chuckle when I read about the chlorine chicken palaver....
The real debate is as to the different approach to slaughterhouse risk assessment on the poultry job mainly, it's not the actual chlorine, it's the use of it as a
'Catch all' to insure against different, and it is argued less stringent evisceration techniques.
Risk vs hazard approach is the fundamental difference between EU and US food regs. as explained here....

The EU look down their regulated noses at the RoW.......

Still didn't stop Dobbin galloping into the Findus factory though did it?
Just remember all those unregulated borders they crossed on their Pan European jaunt too.
I chuckled watching some West Yorkshire Trading Standards bods testing goat curry DNA t'other night....

Guess what?

No Billy Goat Gruff had ever clip clopped into the six shop's pans either....
Our owd ewes only cross the Pennines to change species, but of course that's a Cultural misunderstanding.

Shocked I tell ya,truly shocked!

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm talking about now not three years ago.
Go and sit in the bay view hotel bar or any pub in killybegs and sing the praises of the Spanish or French and see how far you get.

You’ve obviously forgotten who they sell the vast majority of their catch to.

I’m up that way next week or so. But didn’t Killybegs invest in monster Norwegian ships to catch even more mackerel from the Norwegian coast?

Now they’re looking to sell the big ships, they’re just no longer making the sort of money they used to. It’s like everywhere else, if only there was some sort of reason for not catching the vast amounts of fish they used to.

Or why so many NI boats go from Campbeltown in an attempt to land a reasonable catch, much further away than they used to. It’s not because the evil Europeans are forcing them out.

The E.U. is terrified that we become a tax haven and set our own tax to encourage those manufacturers to come to the U.K and set up here
They can threaten as much as they want but in the end money talks with big business and when we undercut the Europeans they won't be happy
Fixed, FoC

what a hoot that will be!

Other than the UK, which other European country has been free from a dictatorship (either their own or one that invaded/took over) the longest?

Portugal maybe?

I'm pretty sure Sharpe saved Portugal from Napoleon's Crapos.

And I think that the England/UK and Portuguese relationship dates back to the middle ages. I've read/heard somewhere that it's the longest - unbroken - good relationship between two nations in the world.

HCL

Old-Salt
I'm pretty sure Sharpe saved Portugal from Napoleon's Crapos.

And I think that the England/UK and Portuguese relationship dates back to the middle ages. I've read/heard somewhere that it's the longest - unbroken - good relationship between two nations in the world.

Why else do you think papist Goa was tolerated during the Raj?

Poland joined Hungary on Friday in threatening to block the EU's historic €1.8 trillion budget and coronavirus recovery package, fearing that the European Parliament and other EU nations will impose conditions that deny access to funds for countries that violate the rule of law,

While all 27 EU heads of state and government approved the budget and recovery package at a summit in July, national parliaments must still ratify the budget and a so-called Own Resources Decision, which provides the EU with legal guarantees from its member countries regarding budget revenues.

As I said up thread.

The EU bumping their gums about the historic EU budget and Coruna package that is nowhere near a done deal.

Popcorn at the ready. This is going to get interesting.

Latest Threads