Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Other than the UK, which other European country has been free from a dictatorship (either their own or one that invaded/took over) the longest?

Portugal maybe?

Portugal was run by a military junta and dictatorship from the 20’s to the 70’s

Other than the UK, which other European country has been free from a dictatorship (either their own or one that invaded/took over) the longest?

Portugal maybe?

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Its all been dictators within living memory for most. I think it's going to be alarmingly, France?

my Hymer will take 2 x 6kg U.K. cylinders, or 2 x 11kg German ones.
ze German ones are shorter but wider.
I carry two 11kgs in my auto trail also I have a selection of fittings for the bottles ie calor kosangas so it would be just a case of just unscrewing a jubilee clip
But I've never emptied two bottles on a trip yet.

So all the WW2 affected countries can only go as close as 1945 for Western, and many in the eastern bloc, 1990.

Portugal as @PhotEx says, 70's - I mistakenly thought Napoleonic.

Switzerland are always an oddball.

syrup

LE
So if the fishing industry is so insignificant, why are the EU screaming their tits off about it? The fishing industry itself is big, our access to it is tiny. Brexit potentially changes that, it's not hard to understand.

It's not just fishing off the coast if Britain
The Spanish fishing fleet fish off Gibraltar and the Falklands
All of which will be under British control
That's why the Argentinians are pushing the E.U. to come in in their side and are promising unlimited fishing to the Spanish

syrup

LE
I said that from the moment the referendum is announced.

Guy wants the UK out - his whole aproach - his talk of punishments for leaving the threats - you could do nothing more to ensure a nations belligerance and a big F U vote

Remember the footage of Guy with those British Remainers
The plan was to make it so difficult for us to leave and we would be punished so hard we would come back to them on our knees and beg for re-admittence.
They could.then dictate their terms for us to join acceptance of the Euro, no rebates etc

It's all gone a bit Pete Tong now we aren't rolling over

be has always seen the UK as the brake on greater, and faster, EU integration.
I remember seeing him interviewed on some programme alongside our own grown nutjob Bliar, twas too late at night for the Great Unwashed to be bothered with ( Newsnight or summat afterwards) when Farage and that pillock Mp jumped ship to join him were getting a good sneering/kicking from 'em, ably assisted by the Beeb.

That's when I put a tenner on.
( I also put a tenner on Trump to win, but didnt link the two .. )
I will no longer buy fresh broccoli - its home grown or frozen.
Stuff wilts and goes to crap in hours - yet shop bought stays crisp and fresh for a week -

Sod that i dont even want to know what its treated with.
Its packed in ice (often in the field) within minutes, then vacuum cooled and prepacked.
Parsnips are notoriously difficult to get to store.
We're on icebergs and celery today....
IMG_20200720_162534.jpg
Not all rejects are wasted.
( Unlike bloody fish, that's immoral and criminal)

I remember seeing him interviewed on some programme alongside our own grown nutjob Bliar, twas too late at night for the Great Unwashed to be bothered with ( Newsnight or summat afterwards) when Farage and that pillock Mp jumped ship to join him were getting a good sneering/kicking from 'em, ably assisted by the Beeb.

That's when I put a tenner on.
( I also put a tenner on Trump to win, but didnt link the two .. )

Its packed in ice (often in the field) within minutes, then vacuum cooled and prepacked.
Parsnips are notoriously difficult to get to store.
We're on icebergs and celery today....
View attachment 505420
Not all rejects are wasted.
( Unlike bloody fish, that's immoral and criminal)
Do they do the same thing with veg as they do with apples - the storage in CO2 heavy/low oxygen warehouses?

It's not just fishing off the coast if Britain
The Spanish fishing fleet fish off Gibraltar and the Falklands
All of which will be under British control
That's why the Argentinians are pushing the E.U. to come in in their side and are promising unlimited fishing to the Spanish

Falklands fisheries contributes @ 40% of GDP.
its very robustly policed, and regarded as one of the best managed and most sustainable in the world.

funny that, British robustly managed waters Outside the voracious EU being a world model in fish management And sustainability.

FWIW, all that piracy off Somalia was caused by EU over fishing.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Falklands fisheries contributes @ 40% of GDP.
its very robustly policed, and regarded as one of the best managed and most sustainable in the world.

funny that, British robustly managed waters Outside the voracious EU being a world model in fish management And sustainability.

FWIW, all that piracy off Somalia was caused by EU over fishing.
I know that we should be very careful about throwing stones from our glasshouse but EU neo colonialism in Africa and the third world is disgraceful. They have perverted the economies and ecosystems of dozens of countries. Banana Republics.

I know that we should be very careful about throwing stones from our glasshouse but EU neo colonialism in Africa and the third world is disgraceful. They have perverted the economies and ecosystems of dozens of countries. Banana Republics.

large numbers of Huge European owned and often EU subsidised pelagic trawlers are as we speak, Hoovering the seas off West, South West and South East Africa bare.

HCL

Old-Salt
I've just read on the BBC News App that Barnier has caved on the threat to blockade GB/NI. Weirdly it has now vanished off the BBC site. Has cooking in aluminium saucepans finally caught up with me? Is there a claim against the MOD for using the mess tins I used to keep my green towel in?

I've just read on the BBC News App that Barnier has caved on the threat to blockade GB/NI. Weirdly it has now vanished off the BBC site. Has cooking in aluminium saucepans finally caught up with me? Is there a claim against the MOD for using the mess tins I used to keep my green towel in?

Fear not, Your mind is sound.....

the Singes have surrendered

Portugal maybe?

Portugal may not be the best example
snip "During the last quarter of the 20th century, Salazar’s Portugal had become a byword for repression and backwardness. His regime was finally toppled in a coup carried out in 1974, 48 years after the one that ushered him into power."

ugly

LE
Portugal may not be the best example
snip "During the last quarter of the 20th century, Salazar’s Portugal had become a byword for repression and backwardness. His regime was finally toppled in a coup carried out in 1974, 48 years after the one that ushered him into power."
Apart from the reluctance to give up colonial possessions it was a stable regime in the main

Latest Threads