Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

Is this a new thing ?

I had many friends who were into caravanning in a big way when I was in Germany and I do not recall any of them mentioning having difficulty with LPG cylinders, even though they travelled extensively throughout Europe.
I have plumbed in refillable cylinders, plus 4 different adaptors to fill from LPG pumps. Still less hassle (and much cheaper) than Camping Gaz cylinders which are the only types I’ve found that you can get almost anywhere.

The EU is getting very overt Imperial ambitions, and feels it is intellectually superior to other nations....
and that SHOULD worry us.

Why?

because at its core, the EU is not an accountable democratic institution, it’s an appointed technocracy.
And Europe has been here before. Young Addi had many of the same aspirations at first as the EU. He was big on workers rights, safety regulation, health, common standards, a strong belief in the superiority over other inferior lands.
His ‘Europa Union’ was also an appointed technocracy - started off well, then it all ended in tears.
The only way that it could have worked was back in 48. The rest as they say is history

Humperdoo

Clanker
But we're a tiny little Island that needs to pay for infrastructure in Bulgaria. We are no longer an empire and we're just an insignificant third country.
Oh, I forgot to mention 'Isolationist' but quite how trading with the rest of the world on our terms makes us 'isolationist' I have yet to fathom.
Well, the current media storm ref the IM Bill doesn't seem to have deterred the Japanese signing a trade deal with the UK. All in what appears to have taken less than a year to negotiate and on BETTER terms! So who is more insignificant? Maybe it was just luck!

I have plumbed in refillable cylinders, plus 4 different adaptors to fill from LPG pumps. Still less hassle (and much cheaper) than Camping Gaz cylinders which are the only types I’ve found that you can get almost anywhere.

Not quite the same scale, but that's why I got the adapter. Those CP250s are available nearly everywhere.

Is this a new thing ?

I had many friends who were into caravanning in a big way when I was in Germany and I do not recall any of them mentioning having difficulty with LPG cylinders, even though they travelled extensively throughout Europe.

Ze Germans tend to take 2 BFO 11kg cylinders.

Humperdoo

Clanker
Depends where you look, Killybegs being Irish, not in the U.K. whereas Harrods was worth more to the British Exchequer than the fishing industry

Standing in front of the magnificent Harrods fish counter, the prime minister could say this one store was worth more to the UK economy than the entire fishing and aquaculture industries. Harrods had a £2bn turnover in 2016, and almost certainly produced more value from that than the £725m fishing industry, which accounts for only 0.04 per cent of output. This example would underpin her point that achieving frictionless trade across our seas in the Brexit negotiations is much more important than grabbing more fish from them.
So if the fishing industry is so insignificant, why are the EU screaming their tits off about it? The fishing industry itself is big, our access to it is tiny. Brexit potentially changes that, it's not hard to understand.

it would be relatively easy for the EU to simply mandate the most common domestic fitting and cylinder as the EUro Gas standard.

and The most widespread?
Ze German cylinder and fitting...
...but they are experts in gas.

Our fishing grounds are ours. Considering the state of fish stocks, its probably a great environmental wisdom to to ban all boats except the few that are ours until the stocks rise. If 3 rowing boats and one inflatable constiture the British fishing fleet, tough. The stocks will recover all the faster.

Well, the current media storm ref the IM Bill doesn't seem to have deterred the Japanese signing a trade deal with the UK. All in what appears to have taken less than a year to negotiate and on BETTER terms! So who is more insignificant? Maybe it was just luck!
Perhaps because the cars are built the right way round to begin with?
:rolleyes: ;)

ah EU excessive regulation.

they have a EU wide standard for bananas,

Despite all the faux outrage about this type of thing eg the curved bannanas banned etc theres a logical reason to it.

standards of things like carrots mean that you have a fixed basis onto which you can design industrial machinery for the food industry and purchase raw materials - and automate the process

Despite all the faux outrage about this type of thing eg the curved bannanas banned etc theres a logical reason to it.

standards of things like carrots mean that you have a fixed basis onto which you can design industrial machinery for the food industry and purchase raw materials - and automate the process
Missus buys the wonky fruit & veg - cheaper, tastes the same.

ericferret

War Hero

Which results in tons of food being dumped?

As I pointed out previously it wasted thousands and thousands of tons of food that got chucked away for no good reason.

The Eu even recognise that 20% of the total food produced is lost or wasted, while 33 million people cannot afford a quality meal every second day.

As I pointed out previously it wasted thousands and thousands of tons of food that got chucked away for no good reason

The argument there is it should have been split into 2 streams - domestic and industrial thus averting that.

However the reality is standards are irrelivant to the sainsburies shoppers - they want perfect looking veg - thats the real cause of tons being dumped WE wont buy odd shaped veg.

I grow mu own and my veg is often not quite right in shape - sometimes people wont even accept it as a gift - because it doesnt look right** = something wrong with it

**Except Courgettes - normally you cant give those away because half the village grows its own and the other half tries to avoid the neighbours who are trying yo offload 17 tonnes of excess courgettes

Missus buys the wonky fruit & veg - cheaper, tastes the same.

I will no longer buy fresh broccoli - its home grown or frozen.
Stuff wilts and goes to crap in hours - yet shop bought stays crisp and fresh for a week -

Sod that i dont even want to know what its treated with.

Latest Threads