Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What now for the EU ?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Verhoftwat throwing teddies

I know we shouldn’t judge people by their appearance but he does look as if he should be on a register.

Still a hero for EU slaves everywhere.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
They're already up in northwest donegal and have been for years spanish trucks loading directly off spanish boats. No locals making a living out of the fishing.

Apart from Killybegs which was exporting €125m worth back in 2017,

edit when you say they aren’t making a living, you probably mean they aren’t cleaning up like they used to.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought the line to take was that the sums from fishing are a pittance and not worthy of consideration.
Or is 125 mil now considered big money?

Depends where you look, Killybegs being Irish, not in the U.K. whereas Harrods was worth more to the British Exchequer than the fishing industry

Standing in front of the magnificent Harrods fish counter, the prime minister could say this one store was worth more to the UK economy than the entire fishing and aquaculture industries. Harrods had a £2bn turnover in 2016, and almost certainly produced more value from that than the £725m fishing industry, which accounts for only 0.04 per cent of output. This example would underpin her point that achieving frictionless trade across our seas in the Brexit negotiations is much more important than grabbing more fish from them.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Depends where you look, Killybegs being Irish, not in the U.K. whereas Harrods was worth more to the British Exchequer than the fishing industry

Standing in front of the magnificent Harrods fish counter, the prime minister could say this one store was worth more to the UK economy than the entire fishing and aquaculture industries. Harrods had a £2bn turnover in 2016, and almost certainly produced more value from that than the £725m fishing industry, which accounts for only 0.04 per cent of output. This example would underpin her point that achieving frictionless trade across our seas in the Brexit negotiations is much more important than grabbing more fish from them.
It rather makes the point that the EU has ruined the UK fishing industry. Fortunately we’ve left and now have the opportunity to rebuild this vital industry.

And here you are again, you mashed potato headed buffoon.
How many times do you need to get your arrse handed to you on here?
DUH FISHIN INDUSTRY FOR THE UK IS SO POOR BECAUSE WE GAVE IT ALL UP 40 YEARS AGO !!
You give your fellow countrymen a bad name.
You're a repetitive troll who knows less about Brexit than my dog.

And how the flying feck are we 'grabbing fish from them' when it's our territorial waters?

There's thick and then there is proper Spudz thick.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Verhoftwat throwing teddies

Verhoftwat can throw as many teddies as he likes. He's the European parliaments liaison with the EU's negotiating team under Barnier - but plays no actual part in the negotiation themselves. He's in the coaching dugout and not on the pitch.

The ultimate decision maker in the EU is the European Council - the heads of the 27 member states. And if the European parliament throws out a deal it has agreed on, they're liable to tell the parliament to vote again and come up with the right result.

In any event, the EU is now in a dilemma entirely of it's own making; if it starts a trade war with the UK, that's going to cost jobs in Europe. Which in turn will impact of the ability of many of those government - facing general elections in 2021 and 2022 - to get re-elected. Which is probably why the European Council will back down from it.

If the EU has tried to negotiate a pure trade deal from the start - without all the political overtones of ECJ/level playing field, that would have been relatively simple and - given goodwill on both sides - could have been done and dusted well before now.

Unfortunately, they used the potential trade deal as a vehicle for political games. The joker in the pack is that, BoJo is clearly willing to exit on WTO terms. Which made all the EU's increasingly frenzied threats meaningless.

Good odds BoJo will leave on WTO terms - then invite the EU to negotiate sensibly on trade. The EU is about to score a spectacular own goal.

Wordsmith

HCL

Old-Salt
right , so thanks for that, if I was to visit the RoI though , for say a long weekend , would that come off my 90 days allowance in 180,

(not that Ihave any intention of actually visiting there)

You can move there permanently if you want, it's got nothing to do with the EU. The CTA predates even the foundation of the EEC.

Euro news tonight concentrated on, wait for it a Central European Health system. Nothing new there. But again the question of whether or not European countries will sanction the transfer of powers to Brussels and more importantly the cash to run it. She (VDL during the State of the EUnion) took a swipe at the EUropean Council for imposing the strictures of the latest EUropean budget, which a peter and Paul one in any event. It’s not clear to me whether they want to run it separately And distinctly from WHO. Well peeps it seems to me that they are trying desperately scratching for money.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Euro news tonight concentrated on, wait for it a Central European Health system. Nothing new there. But again the question of whether or not European countries will sanction the transfer of powers to Brussels and more importantly the cash to run it. She (VDL during the State of the EUnion) took a swipe at the EUropean Council for imposing the strictures of the latest EUropean budget, which a peter and Paul one in any event. It’s not clear to me whether they want to run it separately And distinctly from WHO. Well peeps it seems to me that they are trying desperately scratching for money.
Who cares? No human interest.

Apart from Killybegs which was exporting €125m worth back in 2017,

edit when you say they aren’t making a living, you probably mean they aren’t cleaning up like they used to.
I'm talking about now not three years ago.
Go and sit in the bay view hotel bar or any pub in killybegs and sing the praises of the Spanish or French and see how far you get.

Last edited:
In any event, the EU is now in a dilemma entirely of it's own making; if it starts a trade war with the UK, that's going to cost jobs in Europe.

Wordsmith

1.4 Million jobs according to the EU's own figures, many of them high paying manufacturing jobs.

By Central European Health System, surely they mean a centralised healthcare system, whereby provisions for all matters relating to citizens’ health and welfare are standardised throughout the MS with an overarching bureaucracy/regulatory body?
This would have nothing to do with the WHO which does not descend to such sordid details as personal health matters.

One more outburst coming up as the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) gets binned in a few weeks - which in turn will make it easier to deport those coming over the channel illegally into the UK.

Wordsmith

One can but hope.

By Central European Health System, surely they mean a centralised healthcare system, whereby provisions for all matters relating to citizens’ health and welfare are standardised throughout the MS with an overarching bureaucracy/regulatory body?

that’s exactly what she is after.

Last edited:

Latest Threads