What now for the EU ?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I don't think BoJo is backing down. More like he's giving the rebels a chance to give in gracefully by making minor concessions.

The pro/anti BoJo articles are the result of varying columnists expressing their options. One of the more amusing is Nick Timothy, who acted as May's chief of staff. Since resigned along with May after her GE f--- up, he's reinvented himself as an ardent Brexiteer.

The other Torygraph gem was in the leadership campaign that BoJo won. Multiple articles said Rory Stewart was the dark horse rapidly gaining ground - right up to the point where his support declined to 10 votes and he dropped out of the race and headed for well deserved obscurity.

Wordsmith
Until.he threw his hat in the ring for Mayor of London and then funnily enough dropped out of that due to the lack of support from Londoners.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I know a few commercial fishermen, chat the other week the EU registered boats are absolutely hoovering up fish stock in UK waters right now, taking as much as they can and possibly more. This is the North Sea we are talking about, reducing stock to minimal levels that will take years to recover.

Now this is just chat, how accurate I could not say but does sound rather like they would do. Boat names were mentioned but I dont recall them.
Something I figured would happen in an earlier post a month or so back.

They need to be boarded and checked by UK fisheries protection vessels.

The British fishing fleet has been run down to the extent we could not take over and catch all that is required. I expect temp licences will be sold to foreign boats to fish our waters.

This will allow the British fleet to build up over time, bring in good EU money for the licences and if fine properly and policed well, conservation of dwindling stocks.

That would be the ideal, let's hope we get something close.
Manpower no problem
Fishing boats no problem (plenty soon to be for sale in the EU)
Experience is where the problem will be

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Manpower no problem
Fishing boats no problem (plenty soon to be for sale in the EU)
Experience is where the problem will be
Do you really think the EU would petmit the sale of redundant fishing boats to the UK? No, they will probably just rerun the scheme that killed the British fishing fleet, pay owners to scrap their boats.

I'm feeling paranoid, despite everything going well. I have an uneasy feeling that we may give something away right at the last minute.
I've been paranoid ever since the result was announced. I've never seen such an outpouring of moaning, grief etc in all my *life. Yet here we are, four years and counting, and still it continues. This, the attitude Bojo's adopting now, is what should have happened from the start. The only good thing, providing we do get out, is it has shown some remainers how undemocratic the EU is, always has been, and will continue to be so ad infinitum. If not enough of them can see this I despair for democracy in this country, and elsewhere.

* With apologies to my fellow Scots on the other side of the Wall. It would appear your lifetime has been drastically cut to "...once in a generation/lifetime to get independence," or however they described it. I was over the Wall in 2014. Not having the vote I went to bed that night, thinking I could wake up the next morning in the country of my birth feeling like a stranger. I was glad the way it went, but look how 2016 went in a similar direction. I would like to hear more politicians tell wee nippy that Scotland is still part of the UK, and the UK as a whole voted to leave the EU.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Another article in the Telegraph pointing out how the EU in in breech of it's own law.

The Coronavirus Recovery Fund is in formal terms a proposal of the Commission and it was agreed by the Council at the summit. But the legitimacy ends there, because Article 122 authorises EU-level action in only two eventualities.
The first is to take “measures appropriate to the economic situation, in particular if severe difficulties arise in the supply of certain products, notably in the area of energy”. Covid-19 has not caused severe difficulties in any supply, and certainly not in energy.
The second one is to remedy “severe difficulties caused by natural disasters or exceptional occurrences beyond its control”. Covid-19 could possibly be construed as a natural disaster (although flooding might be a more obvious one) or as an exceptional occurrence. However, this sub-clause is prefaced with “Where a Member State is in difficulties…”. In other words the sub-clause should only be used in the case of a single Member State being affected, not all of them at once.
In other words, the Covid 19 fund is in breach of EU rules.

The German Constitutional Court has already ruled that the ECB's QE scheme is in breach of EU Rules: judgement here:

We await the Bundesbank's response.

It would appear the Covid 19 fund is an even bigger breach of the rules.

Wordsmith

Upon my soul, it's a miracle! Sir Kneelalot missed the crucial vote on the Brexit Bill Monday night because he was self isolating. Son has just been tested as negative. Really unfortunate timing.

The only good thing, providing we do get out, is it has shown some remainers how undemocratic the EU is, always has been, and will continue to be so ad infinitum. If not enough of them can see this I despair for democracy in this country, and elsewhere.
The impression I get is that they're more than happy to sit and snipe from the sidelines while making it very clear that they want to see the UK burn, just so they can feel smug about being "right". I'd say this will be a lifelong obsession for many remainers now even if the UK massively prospers from Brexit, any negative however slight will give them a little stiffy and excuse to slag their own nation off all over the internet.

The impression I get is that they're more than happy to sit and snipe from the sidelines while making it very clear that they want to see the UK burn, just so they can feel smug about being "right". I'd say this will be a lifelong obsession for many remainers now even if the UK massively prospers from Brexit, any negative however slight will give them a little stiffy and excuse to slag their own nation off all over the internet.
Stockholm Syndrome

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Major, for example, signed us up to the Maastricht Treaty. And is probably having a hissy fit because the electorate stuck up two fingers at him. How dare they reject his advice to stay in the EU.

Ditto Call Me Dave, who fought to keep us in the EU - and was roundly rejected in the Brexit referendum.

Same for Blair, who didn't like the unequivocal rejection of his advice to remain in the EU.

There are all politicians who have never accepted the referendum result, sought to undermine it at every opportunity, and are now behaving like 10 year old's because the electorate has a mind of its own.

Wordsmith

Latest Threads