What now for the EU ?

All this was known at the time plus her absolute failure in running the German defence ministry, but she was still elected.

Rather like Lagarde and her guilty of negligence in France.

These are of no consequence and rules are for little people. What matters is the EU marches on.
Elected? She wasn't even on the list of candidates!

All this was known at the time plus her absolute failure in running the German defence ministry, but she was still elected.

Rather like Lagarde and her guilty of negligence in France.

These are of no consequence and rules are for little people. What matters is the EU marches on.
I can understand Lagarde being appointed to run the ECB - Her cookery skills with a financial cookbook will be needed in the not too distant future

It is rather more difficult to get the head around an incompetent Defence Minister, who was already under investigation in Germany coming in as President of the EC.

She either has a lot of people by the short and curlies or she has been installed as a puppet / fall guy.

In either case, it does not promote a warm and fuzzy feeling and make me want to become a rejoiner.

The President of the European Commission

Does anyone have a rational explanation of how a figure at the epicentre of a corruption scandal / investigation can be appointed as President of the EU ?

What really grips my sh¡t. 50 years ago we had vast fleets of fishing boats in places like Grimsby, Hull, Fleetwood, wiped out when the Spaniards moved in.

Apparently, watching the BBC Propaganda News channel last night, the Dutch are upset that if we don't let them fish our waters, we'll wipe out an industry that's been going strong for — wait for it — nearly 50 years.

Oh the irony. Rearrange the following into a well known phrase or saying. Hoo boo.
I suppose we could offer them a few bob for their boats ?
Maybe even employ their crews as well while we relearn how to do commercial fishing with British crews.

She is the very definition of an insider and is a true believer.... I said to wordsmith on another thread, that the project is in the final conflict and either moves forward, or dies. As such a person with a fanatical will, unwilling to compromise the great project was a must.

She is the very definition of an insider and is a true believer.... I said to wordsmith on another thread, that the project is in the final conflict and either moves forward, or dies. As such a person with a fanatical will, unwilling to compromise the great project was a must.
her appointment is very Roman.... utterly Useless, utterly corrupt, but utterly loyal to the Empire and Emperor.

philc

LE
Elected? She wasn't even on the list of candidates!

Whilst agree with the sentiment, she was elected, a box ticking exercise none the less. It seems it was Germany’s turn and this was the best or worst they had. It’s a bizarre way to run a democratic elected organisation, another reason to leave.

On 2 July 2019, von der Leyen was proposed by the European Council as their candidate for the office of President of the European Commission.[2][3] She was elected President by the European Parliament on 16 July, with 383 to 327 votes.[4] She will be the first woman to hold the office[106] and the first German since the Commission's first president, Walter Hallstein.[107]

Whilst agree with the sentiment, she was elected, a box ticking exercise none the less. It seems it was Germany’s turn and this was the best or worst they had. It’s a bizarre way to run a democratic elected organisation, another reason to leave.

On 2 July 2019, von der Leyen was proposed by the European Council as their candidate for the office of President of the European Commission.[2][3] She was elected President by the European Parliament on 16 July, with 383 to 327 votes.[4] She will be the first woman to hold the office[106] and the first German since the Commission's first president, Walter Hallstein.[107]
But she was not one of the original, agreed, candidates.

The current EU negotiating plan is 'I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle' but delivered by Frank Spencer rather than Arnie.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The current EU negotiating plan is 'I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle' but delivered by Frank Spencer rather than Arnie.
Delivered by Private Helga Geerhart.

The EU’s biggest problem is that its economic model has aged alongside its population. Europe has plenty of world-class companies but, unlike the US, none of them were set up in the past 25 years. In Europe’s golden age, Volkswagen was a rival to Ford, and Siemens could go toe to toe with General Electric. But there is no European Google, Facebook or Amazon and in the emerging technologies of the fourth Industrial Revolution, such as artificial intelligence, Europe is nowhere.

The President of the European Commission

Does anyone have a rational explanation of how a figure at the epicentre of a corruption scandal / investigation can be appointed as President of the EU ?
who else could they appoint?

FB_IMG_1580584561506.jpg

According to a French bloke I worked with (who used to be a sapeur-pompier in Paris) there are two types in the CRS: The older individuals who were trained to go in hard and kick the f*ck out of everything, and the new generation who are trained more in poncey stuff like minimum use of force. But I'm sure they can still dish out a good kicking.
Is that why they have had their dinnertime wine ration removed?

I said to wordsmith on another thread, that the project is in the final conflict and either moves forward, or dies.
In the meantime we need to get ready for a good old tear up ... the French Foreign Minister (why is it ALWAYS the French??!) is getting into a fighting stance already and says the two sides "we are going to rip each other apart" when the trade negotiations start... sounds like fighting talk... and reinforces why we dislike the French... it's meant to be the EU we disagree with but the French take it so personally...

In the meantime we need to get ready for a good old tear up ... the French Foreign Minister (why is it ALWAYS the French??!) is getting into a fighting stance already and says the two sides "we are going to rip each other apart" when the trade negotiations start... sounds like fighting talk... and reinforces why we dislike the French... it's meant to be the EU we disagree with but the French take it so personally...
Not seeing how we'll get 'ripped ' apart. We negotiate deals just like every country and if EU doesn't want a deal then other countries will (and do).

Tyk

LE
The EU’s biggest problem is that its economic model has aged alongside its population. Europe has plenty of world-class companies but, unlike the US, none of them were set up in the past 25 years. In Europe’s golden age, Volkswagen was a rival to Ford, and Siemens could go toe to toe with General Electric. But there is no European Google, Facebook or Amazon and in the emerging technologies of the fourth Industrial Revolution, such as artificial intelligence, Europe is nowhere.

To a large extent I agree that the European economic model has stagnated, it could be argued that the push towards Federalisation has perpetuated that stagnation. That being said of the three US companies you mention only Google has actually produced anything of note and arguably it just developed on the existing search methods pioneered by others, but they did make some drastic steps forward, like Henry Ford did with internal combustion.
Faceache has just found a not particularly clever way to harvest and market personal information by playing on people's vanity and stupidity (I'm shocked how even clever people have no grasp of their PERSEC).
Amazon is just a glorified shopping experience working on the old adage of stack it high, sell it cheap and make it convenient. Their products like Kindle, Fire TV and cloud hosting are just well marketed versions of other people's inventions, there's no innovation there at all..

Not seeing how we'll get 'ripped ' apart. We negotiate deals just like every country and if EU doesn't want a deal then other countries will (and do).
I read that article too, it's rather funny when you view it with the jaundiced eye of an experienced negotiator, he's clearly just lining up his excuses for what he expects to be far from a stellar deal for the EU, but in reality he can't see a way for the EU to do well, which it can't unless the UK feels generosity is a good idea.

Latest Threads