What now for the EU ?

Meanwhile something vaguely European, there have been state elections in Thuringen where until now die Linke (reformed communists) ruled under the Ministerpresident Bodo Ramelow. It was a very close run affair and it took 3 attempts to get a new Ministerpresident, the result was a surprise and there followed much chucking of teddies etc. An FDP (liberal) politician by the name of Thomas Kemmerich won, outside of Thuringen nobody had ever heard of him, until now. He won because the AfD ditched its own candidate and voted for Kemmerich, this resulted in die Linke, die Grünen and SPD having a major sense of humour failure. Kemmerich to his credit did not ask for the support of the AfD, it was their decision, furthermore he stated that he would not work with them.
What the offended parties seem to have forgotten is that like it or not the AfD was democratically voted into the Landtag (state parliament) it was their decision to support the FDP candidate. No laws have been broken and no rules or regulations have been infringed. Some people appear to like democracy, but only as long as it delivers the "correct" result. Let's hope that this was an isolated incident.

Smoke and mirrors. To give the illusion of a successful and expanding EU, while keeping quiet about the finances and the mafia taking billions in farming subsidies.
And part and parcel of that expanding EU comes the inviolable principle of free movement.
Not up for discussion and never will be, it even being a red line not to be broached or crossed.
Coming soon to, well anywhere they really want to actually.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Leo's got an election to worry about. An outbreak of common sense will follow in due course.....
Rumours of the IRA doing well don’t suggest that common sense is about to break out in the Emerald Isle.

Some people appear to like democracy, but only as long as it delivers the "correct" result.
The moonhowling has already started :D :D :D

CDU leader Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer had already called on Wednesday for a new vote in Thuringia.
Alexander Dobrindt, a senior figure in the Bavarian Christian Social Union (CSU) Kemmerich’s election was “a grave mistake” and that the logical consequence would be to hold a new election in Thuringia.
Sinful and shameful’ - Germany as a whole risks being damaged unless there are new elections in Thuringia,” Sigmar Gabriel, a former SPD leader, said on Twitter on Thursday.

So this is where the keep on repeating the vote until.the right answer surfaces comes from.

The glue ain't dry yet but

Irish English replaces British English as EU working language

The change, effective immediately, was announced on Monday by European Commission president Ursula Gertrud von der Leyen, who says the unity of the 27 remaining countries is “grand” despite Brexit and the years of the UK “foostering about.”
“The British are just after leaving, and fair play to them for getting what they wanted,” she said. “They’ve been part of this union for donkey’s years, so I amn’t saying that we won’t miss them.”
“But we’ll be needing an English that’s more reflective of what now be our biggest English-speaking country, the Republic of Ireland,” she continued. “Starting today, all of yous will switch to Hiberno-English for all meetings and the drafting of documents, translations, and the like.”

Fair play to the Irish. I would point out that the teaching of English and its proper usage and construct is probably truer in Ireland than the UK. Especially when you've got peeps that want "wot I rote innit " as grammar, or run down proper articulation as "oppression of the working tongue".
The Irish might yet save the English language from British "wokeness".
Just my 2p

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fair play to the Irish. I would point out that the teaching of English and its proper usage and construct is probably truer in Ireland than the UK. Especially when you've got peeps that want "wot I rote innit " as grammar, or run down proper articulation as "oppression of the working tongue".
Just my 2p
2c!

Just my 2p
saffer chap

‘you're not English, are you?

‘no, how can you tell?

‘You speak English too damn well to be a native’

:D :D :D

2 of the poorest Countries in Europe will not be contributing to EU coffers.

So the question has to be asked.

As Macron veto'd their accession merely months ago, why has he now changed his mind ?
Because Germany will take the blame as per usual for Brussels ineptness. They won't be getting to France before Germany, Poland and Italy. Moreover Merkel is Going, VDL has taken over the commission- what's not to like from a French POV.
Plus he's a commie, Plus those countries are in vlads pocket.

The moonhowling has already started :D :D :D

Moor than just moonhowling, accusations of Nazi politics, a shameful move etc have already appeared in the media. What started as a bog standard state election in the not overly significant State of Thuringen has boiled over and involved federal politics. AKK has painted a picture approaching Armageddon, I mean how very dare the AfD support a candidate from an established a respectable party, the FDP?
The SDP has thrown in its Euros worth and critisised the result. The amusing thing about this is that the Volksparteien, (CDU, SPD and FDP) have suffered massive vote losses, meanwhile the Greens and the AfD have blossomed. Merkel et al just don't get it, they simply do not understand or don't want to understand why they are in a spiral dive and the voters go elsewhere. I think it's called democracy, like or leave it that's how things are.
Right now this a rather local affair, but it will be interesting to see how this develops, in the EUs largest country in terms of population and economy.

Moor than just moonhowling, accusations of Nazi politics, a shameful move etc have already appeared in the media.
There is something painfully awry with a Country that has a Political Party ( CDU ) that has in plain view a sister Party ( CSU ) and no one blinks an eye.

Nazi Politics indeed.

Latest Threads